    hopes of getting a answer.
    thanks in advance......

    joe

    joe~V~3838, Dec 16, 2004

  2. joe~V~3838

    daytripper Guest

    With an uncooked peak data transfer rate of 2 Gigabits/second (256
    Megabytes/second) a X1 link is useful for all but the brawniest host
    adapters...

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Basically the idea is everything which uses PCI today will use
    PCI-Express x1. Not much PCI-Express x1 cards exist right now of course.

    Roland Scheidegger, Dec 16, 2004
  4. joe~V~3838

    NightSky 421 Guest

    Good question. I also wonder if and when regular PCI slots will be dropped
    from motherboards. I don't see that happening any time soon, but once sound
    cards and everything get developed for the x1 slots, it might be good to
    have that sort of "pure" environment where regular PCI doesn't exist.

    Hope I haven't hijacked your thread by asking this.

    NightSky 421, Dec 16, 2004
  5. joe~V~3838

    Cuzman Guest

    Cuzman, Dec 16, 2004
  6. joe~V~3838

    joe~V~3838 Guest

    thanks for the link cuzman, good review.
    So, looks like many pci cards out now will be converted to
    pci express x1 or higher in the near future... , interesting...
    wonder what sound cards will use? x1, x4, or stay with regular pci?

    joe~V~3838, Dec 16, 2004
  7. joe~V~3838

    joe~V~3838 Guest

    Hey Nightsky, that's the main reason I've asked this question and I don't mind you
    'hijacking' the thread !
    I wonder when Creative will have a pci express x1, or x4 ? sound card ....
    it would seem like the onboard sound would be putting a hurting on creative
    but so far that hasn't been the case...

    joe~V~3838, Dec 16, 2004
  8. Hey Nightsky, that's the main reason I've asked this question and I don't
    mind you
    'hijacking' the thread !
    I wonder when Creative will have a pci express x1, or x4 ? sound card ...
    it would seem like the onboard sound would be putting a hurting on creative
    but so far that hasn't been the case...

    Creative have the new Audigy Zenith PCI-E 1x out in March 2005.

    Richard Dower, Dec 16, 2004
  9. Creative now sells "upgrades" to some of the on-board sound chips. My
    P5P800 is like this. Maybe they figure they can sell the software
    instead of the hardware like a number of other companies have started doing.

    Michael W. Ryder, Dec 16, 2004
  10. joe~V~3838

    daytripper Guest

    There will be a transition from PCI to x1 PCI Express, both of which are
    overkill for virtually anything to do with audio...

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Dec 16, 2004
  11. joe~V~3838

    joe~V~3838 Guest

    thanks richard , that's what I was wondering about ..... guess I'll just buy
    that audigy 2 zs for $50 at best buy and just forget about getting the
    'zenith' for awhile.......

    joe~V~3838, Dec 17, 2004
  12. joe~V~3838

    joe~V~3838 Guest

    hey daytripper
    are you sure that using pci e x1 for the new 'zenith' audio card due out in
    march 2005 wouldn't be much of an improvement over the audigy 2 zs ?
    I'm going to go and buy the audigy 2 zs at best buy today for $50 since
    according to richard in a post above, the creative 'zenith' pci-e x1 sound card
    won't be out until march 2005..that's to long to wait for me.

    thanks everyone for the helpful info.....

    joe~V~3838, Dec 17, 2004
  13. joe~V~3838

    Mike Guest

    hey daytripper
    Read the extensive review at the same site referenced above:
    http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2/intel-9xx/index.x?pg=1

    It goes into much detail about this topic. The answer to your
    question is yes, it won't be much (or any) improvement.

    Mike, Dec 17, 2004
  14. hey daytripper
    are you sure that using pci e x1 for the new 'zenith' audio card due out in
    march 2005 wouldn't be much of an improvement over the audigy 2 zs ?
    I'm going to go and buy the audigy 2 zs at best buy today for $50 since
    according to richard in a post above, the creative 'zenith' pci-e x1 sound
    card
    won't be out until march 2005..that's to long to wait for me.

    thanks everyone for the helpful info.....

    The new Augigy card is based on whole new hardware/chip. It's totally
    revised audio processing unit. New DAC's apparently increasing the S/N
    ratio.

    But Creative haven't really said anything concrete, though there are tidbits
    on the net.

    Richard Dower, Dec 17, 2004
  15. joe~V~3838

    daytripper Guest

    The data transfer rate of even a 33mhz 32-bit PCI bus peaks at roughly 120
    MEGABYTES per second.

    A decent sound channel might absorb as much as 22khz * wtf_lets_say_32bits_per
    sample for a total of 88 KILOBYTES per second.

    So a sound card that could manage 8 discrete 32-bit channels might pull a
    grand total of 700 KILOBYTES per second, max.

    Still think sound cards need the 512 Megabyte/second peak, uncooked data
    transfer rate of PCI Express x1?

    /daytripper
    (There were reasons even ISA sound cards managed to do pretty well ;-)

    daytripper, Dec 17, 2004
  16. That's an impossible question to answer Joe, mainly as the full feature set
    of the Zenith hasn't been made public yet. It also depends rather a lot on
    your definition of "much", doesn't it? There's no question that the extra
    bandwidth offered by PCIe won't in itself make much of a difference, because
    the regular PCI bus was more than enough for pretty much any audio
    processing tasks.

    Will the Zenith be a better card? Marketing alone would tend to dictate that
    it will be better in various ways, on paper at least. It's unlikely to make
    the A2 series (which are excellent in every way that matters) suddenly look
    crap though.
    So go buy the A2ZS. It's an excellent card, and will continue to be so even
    when the Zenith is launched.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 17, 2004
  17. joe~V~3838

    joe~V~3838 Guest

    snip..

    Thanks everyone for the advice, info and links about PCI E x1 ..
    Way more info than I thought was out there....
    So, I went and bought that A2 zs , and agree that it should be excellent
    for years to come....
    Now I'm just waiting on one of those new A64, PCI E mb , with sata,
    to come out , then I'm getting rid of my trusty old bh6 1.01 mb ! heh
    time to upgrade....

    joe

    joe~V~3838, Dec 18, 2004
  18. joe~V~3838

    NightSky 421 Guest

    BH6? Wow, it will be a phenomenal upgrade once you get the Athlon 64! I
    think you'll be quite happy.

    NightSky 421, Dec 18, 2004
  19. But what a beauty it was, with a Cel 300 OC to 450. Very good board.

    Lurk re_relurking, Dec 19, 2004
  20. joe~V~3838

    joe~V~3838 Guest

    yep, I've had it since dec 98 ! using a 600 celery oc to 900 without problems
    for years, going to get new hardware and pass this good ol mb on to a friend...
    Like the way the gigabyte k8nxp9 looks...using the nforce 4 just waiting for
    nforce 4 boards to get out in the retail....

    joe~V~3838, Dec 19, 2004