    Thanks,

    Brian in MI
    ­

    Brian, Mar 11, 2006

  2. Brian

    Ben Myers Guest

    You can buy most any POST card and it'll do the job. I've picked up an extra or
    two on eBay for maybe no more than $30. A POST card is a diagnostic tool which
    can tell you something, but not everything. A POST card cannot tell the
    difference between a failed motherboard and a failed processor. All it sees is
    the entire motherboard/CPU unit, and it monitors the POST code as well as the
    voltages supplied to the PCI slots. If it indicates a substandard voltage, this
    would usually imply a bad power supply. If the card shows no POST code at all,
    the the board or CPU is dead. As a rule, motherboards are MUCH more likely to
    fail than CPUs.

    To troubleshoot the problem you are having, the customary procedure is to swap
    in known good components, for example testing the motherboard with another power
    supply. Also, remove all add-in cards except the video card (if any) and
    disconnect all peripherals from the motherboard and power. Sometimes a failed
    device will cause a system not to boot. Less likely, but @#%* happens.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 11, 2006

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Ben,

    Thanks so much for all the good info! The one thing I did not try was
    another PS so i will do that.

    Brian

    Brian, Mar 11, 2006
  4. Brian