    Will it work???

    Thank in advance.
    Matt

    MattK, Sep 10, 2008

  2. MattK

    JT Guest

    PCIe x 16 are for graphics cards only as far as I know. I checked the
    specs for that board and it says it has two PCIe 2.0 slots so your tuner
    card should work in one of those. It appears it does not have any of the
    older PCI slots at all.

    JT, Sep 11, 2008

  3. MattK

    Paul Guest

    Yes.

    There is a table here that illustrates some possibilities.

    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0456.html

    PCI Express slot compatibility

    x1 slot x4 slot x8 slot x16 slot
    x1 card Supported Supported Supported Supported
    x4 card No Supported Supported Supported
    x8 card No No Supported Supported
    x16 card No No No Supported

    *******
    Just because a x16 connector is present, doesn't always mean
    all the lanes are wired up. The manufacturer may choose
    to wire only x8 lanes or x4 lanes, and for high bandwidth
    applications, that can have an effect. It won't affect
    your ability to connect a x1 card.

    "Sub wired" connectors are quite a common feature on
    motherboards now. Boards based on P35, for example, may
    have two physical x16 connectors, but the wiring is x16
    to one connector, and only x4 to the other connector.
    To detect such an issue, you count "capacitor pairs"
    near the connector, on the surface of the motherboard.
    You need a closeup picture of the motherboard, to
    do a "lane analysis" and determine whether sub wired
    slots are present.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Sep 11, 2008
  4. MattK

    DevilsPGD Guest

    The specs actually allow any PCIe card to be inserted in any slot,
    larger or smaller are both supported, although there will be obvious
    performance penalties if you toss in a x16 video card into an x1 slot.

    However, apparently some SLI motherboards don't handle this as well as
    you might hope, instead assuming that x16 slots would only ever be used
    for video. No electrical damage will be done, but your wallet might be
    disappointed if you end up without compatible hardware and no return
    policy, so purchase carefully.

    DevilsPGD, Sep 11, 2008
  5. MattK

    MattK Guest