    with optical output but they have been dead ends. If anyone has any ideas
    or knows where I could find what I am looking for it would greatly help.

    Josh

    Josh Walrath, May 28, 2004

  2. A PC Card (and that is the correct terminology, "PCMCIA" should no
    longer be used) is not the answer.

    What you want is an external USB sound card. That should solve your
    problem. Several firms make them, Creative has several models, from
    about $40 to about $200.

    Barry Watzman, May 28, 2004

  3. Josh Walrath

    AndrewJ Guest

    There are ring magnets that will stop that hum. They clamp over the
    power cable right before the plug goes into the notebook. I have over
    a dozen video and sound cables that all came with these magets.

    AndrewJ, May 28, 2004
  4. Josh Walrath

    Jernej Guest

    You might look at RMEs Hmaerfall DSP series of cards:
    http://www.rme-audio.com but that might be a bit of an overkill for your
    needs.

    Yor problem sounds like ground loop that can be solved by disconecting the
    ground conection of notebooks power cable (a lot of people who use notebooks
    for music production do this).

    Jernej, May 28, 2004
  5. They are not magnets, they are ferrite beads, which act like chokes
    (large inductors). They may or may not stop the noise that he is
    seeing, they are primarily effective against HIGH frequency emissions
    rather than aginst what sounds like 60Hz "hum", but it's worth a try.

    Barry Watzman, May 29, 2004
  6. Josh Walrath

    tc Guest

    Hum is usually caused by a ground loop. An opto-isolator would solve this
    but a cheaper solution woud be an isolation transformer on the audio lines.
    Radio Shack used to carry one. Sometimes, just disconnecting the shield lead
    on the laptop audio out will work.
    Terry

    tc, May 30, 2004