    cable, or *something*.
    LOL! So, what did "100% IBM Compatible" mean, anyway? Sounds like just a
    marketing phrase.

    Tom Rutherford, Jun 19, 2007

  2. none

    Mike Y Guest

    Actually, the 'SL' chips were 'system management' chips. I'd have to go
    back
    and check on that specific chip to be absolutely sure, but the SL family
    was designed for laptops and power management. The SMI (system
    management interrupt) was a 'system interrupt' that was higher priority
    than an NMI. It could interrupt anything and everything. When invoked,
    it also made a beautiful flat memory model. Also, in the SL chips you
    could pretty much read back all kinds of stuff that was otherwise
    'write only'. Ie, you could get into things to find out actual state and
    use
    it for a suspend/resume.

    I tried writing a simple debugger in SMmode, and it worked, but I didn't
    get very far with it. I DID write a memory manager that use SL registers
    though. It was the equivilent of a 'real mode' EMM386.SYS program,
    and used the SL enhanced memory interface to do the same thing with
    memory as EMM386.SYS did. At one point I took that program and
    ripped the SL stuff out but just put memory management in that used
    other means. Like banked mapped memory. Or, just putting SRAM
    chips in my IBM-PCAT that was an 80286. I called the program
    UBMPRO for Upper Memory Block PROvider. I ran HIMEM.SYS
    and then UMBPRO on my PCAT with a memory card and with all the
    stuff in UpperMemory, my 8mhz '286 PCAT had 639K free (with all
    the stuff loaded) and was faster than a 16MHz '386 I had with both
    running MSDOS 5.0.

    Hey, that was their right! They DEFINED the term, right? Actually, while
    the entire IBM PC design has some braindead aspects to it, overall it is
    kind of neat. Could it have been done better? Sure. At least it's not as
    bad as Apple with the first Mac! 'IWM' for the floppy? Software SIO?
    Come on, even the Radio Shack Color computer had an FDC!

    As to the CardSoft package, IBM paid for that implementation, so they
    got it. That's only fair.

    Mike Y, Jun 19, 2007

  3. Okay...I was talking about the microprocessor, the 486SLC2-66, but I forget
    now why I mentioned it. Maybe since IBM had a hand in it, I was thinking
    that its peripheral chips would behave better than the standard chips. I
    dunno. Might've been sleep typing again.
    With SRAM?!?! I'll bet it *did* scream, but you had a king's ransom worth
    of memory in there!
    Right.

    Tom Rutherford, Jun 21, 2007