Pentium 4 2.8GHz CPU showing up as 1.6GHz

Discussion in 'Dell' started by vbDavidC, Oct 26, 2009.

  1. vbDavidC

    vbDavidC Guest

    Guys,

    I have to fess up and say this computer is not a Dell computer, but
    since I post here quite a bit I figured some of you brilliant posters
    could possibly help me out.

    I have had this computer Intel motherboard D865PERL (genuine Intel
    board) and it has been running great for me. However, I want my
    daughter to be able to run 'The Sims 3' on this PC which requires at
    least a 2.0GHz processor. I thought I was in good shape but for some
    it shows up in Windows (System Properties and CPUID utility) and in
    the System BIOS at 1.6GHz. The CPUID utility shows the spec as being
    2.8. It is a Northwood P4 (socket 478).

    The System BIOS does not really show any setting changes to make.

    I bought the CPU several years ago off of Craigslist used so I don't
    know some overclocker guy cooked it or something. I am just grasping
    for straws.

    Any ideas?

    thanks

    vbDavidC, Oct 26, 2009

  2. vbDavidC

    Ben Myers Guest

    What is the sSpec of the CPU, imprinted on the top? Could it be one of
    the Socket 478 CPUs done my Intel for the early desktop replacement type
    laptops, such as the Inspiron 5100/5150 and some Toshibas and HPs?

    Have you updated the BIOS to the latest from Intel? I ran into
    something very similar when I put a 3.0GHz P4 with 1MB external cache
    into a Precision 370 and the BIOS showed 1.6Ghz speed. Once I updated
    the BIOS, the system showed the correct speed both in BIOS and in
    Windows... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 26, 2009

  3. vbDavidC

    vbDavidC Guest

    It is a desktop CPU and shows 2.8 on the chip. I have the latest
    BIOS. I am tempted to see if I can try a previous version just to see
    what happens.

    vbDavidC, Oct 26, 2009
  4. vbDavidC

    Ben Myers Guest

    Just to verify that this is a desktop CPU, what is the the sSpec? The
    sSpec is printed on the top of the CPU and looks something like SL4KX.
    Once you have the sSpec, just put it into Google to get the CPU
    specifications.

    Socket 478 CPUs that look just like the desktop ones were cranked out
    for the desktop replacement. if somehow you got one of those, that
    would explain why the CPU is running at 1.6Ghz. I have several of
    these, pulled from dead laptops, and they behave EXACTLY this way when
    in a desktop board. In a laptop motherboard, there is a circuit that
    runs from the AC adapter power supply electronics to one of the CPU
    pins, telling it to run at maximum speed when running with a power
    supply, or 1.6 when on battery... Ben

    Ben Myers, Oct 26, 2009
  5. vbDavidC

    vbDavidC Guest

    Guys, thanks for the info:

    Ben, sorry for not understanding where you were going with your first
    post. I did not realize that notebooks shared the same socket with
    desktops.

    I went to the following website and got the information. Y'all were
    correct about it being a mobile CPU.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL77N

    I thought I could possibly do something with Intel SpeedStep but I
    guess it is not available as a download.

    Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processors - M 2.80 GHz
    sSpec Number: SL77N
    CPU Speed: 2.80 GHz
    PCG:
    Bus Speed: 533 MHz
    Bus/Core Ratio: 21
    L2 Cache Size: 512 KB
    L2 Cache Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Package Type: 478 pin
    Manufacturing Technology: 0.13 micron
    Core Stepping: D1
    CPUID String: 0F29
    Thermal Design Power: 68.4W
    Thermal Specification: 100 DEG C
    VID Voltage Range: 1.3V

    vbDavidC, Oct 26, 2009
  6. vbDavidC

    Ben Myers Guest

    Not a problem. The laptops with Socket 478 Pentium 4 and Celeron CPUs
    looking exactly like the desktop ones did not last too long. Many of
    them suffered from thermal problems, because they drew so much wattage,
    as in the 68.4w CPU you have. Almost all of them showed up in the
    desktop replacements, with the Dell Inspiron 1100/1150/5100/5150/5160
    and Latitude 100L being perhaps the most popular.

    You might download and try SpeedSwitch, then let us all know the results.

    http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/

    SpeedSwitch was designed to provide better control over laptop/notebook
    CPU speeds, but you never know. It may work with desktops, too.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 26, 2009
  7. vbDavidC

    vbDavidC Guest

    Ended up buying a 2.4 desktop P4 off of Craigslist for $20. I
    confirmed with seller based on the sSpec number.

    It is all good.

    Thanks for everyone's posts.

    David

    vbDavidC, Oct 28, 2009
  8. vbDavidC

    Ben Myers Guest

    Did you ever try SpeedSwitch? ... Ben

    Ben Myers, Oct 28, 2009
  9. vbDavidC

    Ben Myers Guest

    You missed an earlier series of posts. The CPU is one of the oddball
    Socket 478 mobile Pentium CPUs with both high and low speeds. The
    laptop BIOS switches the CPU to high speed when running on A/C power,
    and to low speed when on battery. A desktop motherboard does not have a
    BIOS with the CPU switching and the CPU starts up at the low speed.

    Further, a Dell BIOS no settings whatsoever to change CPU speeds... Ben
    Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 1, 2009