    reaches. (I stop it when the active monitor objects at 70 deg. C.)

    Cheers,

    Simon.

    Simon Thompson, May 20, 2004

  2. Simon Thompson

    GHalleck Guest

    Simon Thompson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a boxed Intel P4 Pentuim 4 3.0 Ghz with HSF. Should the CPU fan
    > speed up as the CPU temperature gets hotter?
    >
    > Mine stays at a constant 2500 rpm no matter what the CPU temperature
    > reaches. (I stop it when the active monitor objects at 70 deg. C.)
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Simon.

    The fan supplied with current versions of the boxed,
    Intel P4 CPU should have its own fan speed control.
    And it should increase speed as the CPU processor
    increases *unless* there is a CPU fan temperature
    control also in active competition, via the 3-pin CPU
    header on the motherboard. But even at 2,500 RPM, the
    CPU temperature should not be excessive unless the HS
    was installed incorrectly or there is poor air flow
    through the computer case.

    GHalleck, May 20, 2004

  3. GHalleck <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Simon Thompson wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a boxed Intel P4 Pentuim 4 3.0 Ghz with HSF. Should the CPU fan
    > > speed up as the CPU temperature gets hotter?
    > >
    > > Mine stays at a constant 2500 rpm no matter what the CPU temperature
    > > reaches. (I stop it when the active monitor objects at 70 deg. C.)
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Simon.

    > The fan supplied with current versions of the boxed,
    > Intel P4 CPU should have its own fan speed control.
    > And it should increase speed as the CPU processor
    > increases *unless* there is a CPU fan temperature
    > control also in active competition, via the 3-pin CPU
    > header on the motherboard. But even at 2,500 RPM, the
    > CPU temperature should not be excessive unless the HS
    > was installed incorrectly or there is poor air flow
    > through the computer case.

    Hi,

    Thanks for your help.

    The CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan header on an Intel D865PERL
    motherboard. What would be in active competition? Would the Intel
    Precision Cooling stuff do it?

    In normal use, the temperature is not excessive. The only time there
    is a problem is when I run video rendering (TMPMeg) software that pegs
    the CPU at 100% for several hours. Then it slowly creeps up until it
    hits 70 deg C. (The short-term solution is to take the case off.) The
    case fans are at full-speed at 62 deg C (reduced from the standard 65
    deg C).

    I have improved the fans in the case, and that reduced the normal
    operating temperature 2 or 3 degress.

    Cheers,

    Simon.

    Simon Thompson, May 21, 2004