    plug it considering a downgrading of FSB to 400 MHz in the processor, or
    just the system crashed?
    Thank you

    elmunyon, Feb 24, 2005

  2. elmunyon

    Augustus Guest

    It'll run, but at 1.8Ghz. You have no ability to modify FSB at all?

    Augustus, Feb 24, 2005

  3. elmunyon

    elmunyon Guest

    Thank you for your reply
    How could I modify FSB? by the way, just curious, why would it run at 1.8
    GHz?

    elmunyon, Feb 24, 2005
  4. elmunyon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'How could I modify FSB? by the way, just curious, why would it run at 1.8
    GHz?'

    If your motherboard isn't capable of 533 MHz, then the limitation is the
    chipset, and not something that can be just set with switches or the BIOS.

    The 533 MHz FSB, 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 would run at 1.8 GHz with a 400 MHz FSB
    because the processor clock speed is determined by the (fixed, internal
    multiplier) X (FSB/4). The 533 MHz FSB Pentium 4 2.4 GHz CPU has an
    internal multiplier of 18; (18) X (400 MHz/4) = 1.8 GHz.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    Phil Weldon, Feb 24, 2005
  5. elmunyon

    Immuno Guest

    Because the processor has a multiplier of 18.

    18 x 100 = 1800MHz
    18 x 133 = 2400MHz

    ...... give us a clue and tell us what your motherboard is - then some kind
    soul might be able to tell you if altering the FSB is an option.

    Pete

    Immuno, Feb 24, 2005
  6. elmunyon

    elmunyon Guest

    Thanks to all for your replies. My motherboard is an Asus P4B
    Thank you again

    elmunyon, Feb 24, 2005
  7. elmunyon

    Augustus Guest

    According to ASUS, you m/b is capable of running a 133FSB with a normal
    33Mhz PCI and 66Mhz AGP bus speed. Jumper settings must be modified to do
    so.
    http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4b/jumper.htm

    Augustus, Feb 25, 2005
  8. elmunyon

    elmunyon Guest

    Thank you again, so Augustus I would be able tu run the processor at its 2.4
    GHz ¿correct? but on the other hand the pci bus and the agp bus would
    decrease, that would mean less performance, ¿correct?. so what would you
    think is better, high performance cpu vs. less agp and pci buses or keeping
    as I am now, with the buses at standard speed acording the actual
    processor?.
    Thank you

    elmunyon, Feb 25, 2005
  9. elmunyon

    Augustus Guest

    They would not decrease. Correct stock speed for the PCI bus is 33Mhz, and
    66 Mhgz for AGP. The jumper settings increase FSB without increasing or
    decreasing PCI/AGP. It's the correct setting for a 533FSB P42.4a processor.

    Augustus, Feb 25, 2005
  10. elmunyon

    elmunyon Guest

    Thank you again for your reply.
    So why Asus claimed for a 400 MHz FSB for the its motherboard P4B
    if actually, as you say, it can run processor at higher FSB at least 533
    FSB. ?

    elmunyon, Feb 25, 2005
  11. elmunyon

    Augustus Guest

    Most boards made by the big manufacturers have the ability to be configured
    to run at different bus speeds. Intel and various proprietary models are
    exceptions to this.Asus, ABit, Gigabyte, Chaintec, DFI etc are all very
    tweakable by the owner.

    Augustus, Feb 25, 2005
  12. elmunyon

    elmunyon Guest

    Thanks a lot for all your answers (specially Augustus). I'll try with the
    new processor then.

    elmunyon, Feb 26, 2005