Pentium 4 vs AMD Athlon XP

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Guest, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Which processor installed in a Non-Dedicated File Server, using a Windows
    Peer-to-Peer Network, will give better performance in the following
    situation?

    ENVIRONMENT:
    ------------------------
    Non-Dedicated File Server running WinXP, hosting a (Point of Sale) Database,
    that 3 other workstations will access and update.
    2 of the workstations are running Win98se
    1 workstation is running WinXP Home

    PROCESSOR CHOICES:
    -------------------------------------
    Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.2 GHz
    AMD Athlon XP2400 @ 2.0 GHz

    Please give input.

    Thank you.

    Guest, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Guest

    J.Clarke Guest

    The quick answer is that you won't be able to tell the difference.

    The long answer is that it depends on what you're doing besides running
    your point of sale database--there are some applications which perform a
    little better on the P4, there are others that perform a little better
    on the Athlon.

    The disk is going to have a considerably larger impact on performance in
    the situation you describe than will the processor.

    J.Clarke, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Guest

    Ben Pope Guest

    No discernable difference. I suspect that you will not even notice the
    difference between hard disks if you only have 3 clients accessing the
    database.

    It will depend on the application software you wish to use as to which will
    perform best, but I suspect that the Athlon XP will perform best in most
    situations.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Sep 2, 2003
  4. For your application, it probably will not make much (if any) difference. In
    this case I would compare price:
    P4 2.2 = $170ish USD
    XP 2400 2.0=$80ish USD
    You'll save nearly $100 if you go with the Athlon 2400.

    E_\\_¼__½__¾__F, Sep 3, 2003