  1. Anyone able to advise as to whether the Pentium M 1.86 would perform as
    well as the Pentium 4 Mobile 2.6? Or would I have to go with a faster
    Pentium M? Thanks!

    Thomas M. Goethe, Jan 7, 2006

  2. Thomas M. Goethe

    S.Lewis Guest

    Formulas posted here in the past have suggested that you can take the
    Pentium M clock rate (in this case, 1.86GHz) and multiply it by a factor of
    1.8 to estimate the comparable P4 desktop clock rate, which in this case
    would work out to 3.348GHz.

    Whether or not this is actually true or not, I don't know - as I'm too lazy
    too google it. Further, I don't know that this answers your question.(g)

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 7, 2006

  3. Thomas M. Goethe

    Quaoar Guest

    From experience with a Pentium M 1.6Ghz and a Pentium 4M 2.8Ghz, they
    are very nearly equivalent in general performance. The P4M is clearly
    superior for video editing. A Pentium M at 1.85Ghz would be clearly
    superior in most aspects and equivalent plus or minus for video editing,
    based on published benchmarks. Battery life is no contest in favor of
    any Pentium M as are weight and noise - the P4 needs constant fan and a
    very large heat pipe cooler. IMO, no one in their right mind would
    purchase a P4 laptop with the current crop of fast Pentium M laptops.

    Quaoar, Jan 7, 2006
  4. Thanks all. I'm actually thinking about replacing an Inspiron P4 Mobile
    with a Latitude Pentium M and the best price point at the moment seems to be
    with the 1.86 processor. I do a lot of still photo work, but not much with
    video, so it sound slike they are about equal. On the other hand, maybe if I
    just wait a bit longer, there will be a better price point on a faster one
    :)

    Thomas M. Goethe, Jan 10, 2006
  5. If your photo application can handle threads well, then you may be much
    better off waiting for the Yonah (dual core Pentium-M) chips that should
    be coming out in the next couple months.

    Nicholas Andrade, Jan 15, 2006
  6. Thanks!! Thgat is good info and I was starting to think that way, but I
    do want to go with a business machine, so I have there will be a Latitude
    with docking stations soon with the Duo processor!

    Thomas M. Goethe, Jan 15, 2006
  7. Thomas M. Goethe

    Quaoar Guest

    The new Intel dual Pentium M CPU is marketed as Core Duo, the same CPU
    used in the new Mac notebooks. The release date for model specs is this
    week, and the first of the notebooks should be available in early
    February.

    Quaoar, Jan 15, 2006