    Vuela Guest

    What is the difference between Pentium M and Pentium Centrino?
    Vuela

    Vuela, Mar 6, 2005

  2. Centrino isn't a processor.

    See http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provider/docs/centrinoprovider.html

    It's a tad out of date but you'll get the idea.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HillBillyBuddhist, Mar 6, 2005

  3. Vuela

    JefN Guest

    JefN, Mar 6, 2005
  4. | ||
    || Centrino isn't a processor.
    || See http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provider/docs/centrinoprovider.html
    || It's a tad out of date but you'll get the idea.
    |
    | HillBillyBuddist -
    |
    | The horse's mouth is a good place to look too:
    | http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/centrino/
    |
    | Jef

    Yeah I thought about posting that one but thought the OP might benefit from
    a simple "Centrino=" explanation without all the Intel "For today's
    multi-tasking, on-the-go computing lifestyle, you want outstanding mobile
    performance when you're away from your home or office" advertising oriented
    tag lines. ;-)

    HillBillyBuddhist, Mar 6, 2005
  5. Vuela

    Andrew Guest

    : What is the difference between Pentium M and Pentium Centrino?

    Centrino is a package, not a CPU. Centrino includes a chipset, an
    integrated wireless card, and a Pentium M CPU. The CPU is what's the
    most important. You shouldn't shy away from buying a laptop that is
    Pentium M but not Centrino.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Mar 6, 2005
  6. Vuela

    dg1261 Guest

    Vuela,

    In addition to the links the others have provided, there are a couple common
    points of confusion. First, be sure not to confuse the Pentium M with the
    Pentium 4M--they are two completely different processors. (It doesn't sound
    like you are, but others lurking here might.) Second, as HillyBillyBuddhist
    said, "Centrino" is not a processor. It's a package of the Pentium M plus
    802.11b wireless. Note the "b"--a Pentium M plus 802.11g does not get to be
    called "Centrino", even though "g" is better than "b".

    You'll find the major manufacturers offer "Centrino" laptops, and "Pentium M
    with internal 802.11b/g" laptops. The latter is better, although a Centrino
    is better than a Pentium M laptop with no wireless.

    dg1261, Mar 6, 2005
  7. Vuela

    Vuela Guest

    Hello D

    The Centrino = Pentium-M + Intel 855 chipset + Intel 802.11b is a very nice
    well written crystal clear view explanation. I was in the Intel site and it
    was not all that clear to me that centrino isn't a processor. Congrats for
    your Univ!! well done.
    Vuela

    Vuela, Mar 6, 2005
  8. Vuela

    J. Clarke Guest

    That is not quite the case. Centrino is a package consisting of the Pentium
    M, a chipset from the Intel 855 or 915 Express chipset families, and an
    Intel Pro/Wireless network chip, which can be the 2100 (802.11b), 2200bg
    (802.11b/g), or 2915abg (802.11a/b/g).

    Pentium M with a non-Intel 802.11b chip cannot carry the Centrino label, one
    with an Intel 802.11a/b/g chip _can_ carry the Centrino label.

    The confusion comes about because Intel was late to market with any but the
    802.11b chips, so manufacturers were forced to use non-Intel chips to get
    anything but "b" and so could not use the Centrino label.

    J. Clarke, Mar 6, 2005
  9. Vuela

    Vuela Guest

    Hello

    Thank you all (specially D and John) for your responses.
    Actually I found D's Univ. link quite helpful.

    I have straiten out my choices to these two laptops:

    Please see my message in the main board under the name Two Choices Finally

    Cheers
    Vuela

    Vuela, Mar 7, 2005