Pentium Pro 200 - 256k cache vs 512k & 1MB cache

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Chas., Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Chas.

    Chas. Guest

    I recently picked up a circa 1996 all SCSI Micron Millennia Pro Plus
    in like new condition for $40. It was supposed to be a dual PPro 200
    but when I got it home and opened it I was disappointed to find it
    only had a single PPro 200 256k processor installed, 32MB of memory
    and a Bus Logic SCSI card. It has a Micronics W6-LI mobo that uses up
    to 512MB of weird EDO ECC DIMMs.

    Hey the ATX full tower case with a 300w PS is worth the $40!

    I want to use it as an NT4 or Linux limited access web server.

    I picked up a second matching PPro 200 256k, more memory, 2 more SCSI
    HDDs and an Adaptec AHA 2940U2W on Ebay for $80 delivered.

    I see a lot of matched pairs of PPro 200 512k and 1M CPUs on Ebay for
    $15-$100.

    Do the PPro 200s with 512k or 1M cache offer much in the way of
    performance advantage over the 256k CPUs.

    Please no comments about getting a more modern system. I have PCs all
    over the house. This is sort of like rebuilding an old car.

    Chas.

    Chas., Aug 6, 2003

  2. Chas.

    Guest Guest

    Chas> I recently picked up a circa 1996 all SCSI Micron Millennia Pro
    Chas> Plus in like new condition for $40. It was supposed to be a
    Chas> dual PPro 200 but when I got it home and opened it I was
    Chas> disappointed to find it only had a single PPro 200 256k
    Chas> processor installed, 32MB of memory and a Bus Logic SCSI card.
    Chas> It has a Micronics W6-LI mobo that uses up to 512MB of weird
    Chas> EDO ECC DIMMs.

    Note you can use EDO or FPM DIMMs. However, you cannot mix dimms in
    the same bank, and dimms must be 3.3v buffered.

    Chas> Hey the ATX full tower case with a 300w PS is worth the $40!

    Chas> I want to use it as an NT4 or Linux limited access web server.

    Linux is much faster than NT on this motherboard. I once used NT until
    I finally switched to Linux. For the record support for bugs from M$
    may not be coming in the future for NT. For the record Windows 2000
    won't run on this motherboard with two cpus. You can search google for
    details. Never tried XP.

    Chas> I picked up a second matching PPro 200 256k, more memory, 2
    Chas> more SCSI HDDs and an Adaptec AHA 2940U2W on Ebay for $80
    Chas> delivered.

    Chas> I see a lot of matched pairs of PPro 200 512k and 1M CPUs on
    Chas> Ebay for $15-$100.

    Chas> Do the PPro 200s with 512k or 1M cache offer much in the way of
    Chas> performance advantage over the 256k CPUs.

    The maximum supported cache size for the ppro is 512k for the W6-Li
    motherboard. So the 1M cache is not an option. Just took a quick look
    at the manual. You probably would not notice a real difference with
    increased cache size for a web server.

    Chas> Please no comments about getting a more modern system. I have
    Chas> PCs all over the house. This is sort of like rebuilding an old
    Chas> car.

    Really I thought I was the only one like that :)).

    Alan

    Guest, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Chas.

    Chas. Guest

    I bought some additional memory on Ebay. The first 128MB stick came in
    today and I'm running Memtest on it right now. The manual has some
    conflicting info on memory. 50ns EDO, ECC 168 Pin DIMMs are the memory
    of choice for this board.

    These early DIMMs and others that fit these mobos have slightly
    different notch locations on the pin row and in the DIMM sockets from
    later 168 Pin DIMMs. I'm probably going to load it up with 512MB of
    memory - as they say in hot rodding -there's no substitute for cubic
    inches! ;-)
    Thanks for the heads up on W2K. It will be a cold day before I even
    look at XP....

    The box came with Win98 First Edition. I'm really suprised at how well
    it runs with only 32MB of memory! I installed the 2 new HDDs and what
    a difference between Ultra Wide 40MB/sec and Ultra SCSI 20MB/sec
    performance.

    I tried to load Mandrake 9.1 several times but the installation
    stalled. I have Corel Linux ver 1 on one the drives. It took forever
    to install with only 32MB of memory. I'm going to do a clean
    multi-distro setup once I get the other CPU and additional memory.

    That's too bad. The onboard PS can't handle the current draw or is it
    a BIOS issue? I may pick up an Intel or other later dual PPro mobo.
    I've seen them go for under $50 with components on Ebay. I've never
    played with SMP before....

    Chas.

    Chas., Aug 7, 2003
  4. Chas.

    Chas. Guest

    Our CAD guys have an old PPro box that they keep around as a back up
    when one of their P4s blows a video card or what ever. It still keeps
    up considering the age of the system!

    Chas., Aug 7, 2003
  5. Chas.

    J Rennert Guest

    Heh, I know what you mean- I searched long and hard for a dual Tyan PPro
    board and some 1mb chips, then found eight 128mb SIMMs to stuff in there
    to max it out. Haven't found time to get it going yet, but it'll run
    gentoo for sure. The P6 was/is an underrated chip.

    I believe it's generally accepted that you feed webservers clock speed
    and DB servers cache. All relative to the age of your chip, anyway.

    Good luck with the project, it sounds like fun. Make sure and check to
    see if you need an additional VRM- those can sometimes cost more than
    the old CPU.
    J.

    J Rennert, Aug 7, 2003
  6. Chas.

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    the more cache will make it feel more snappy, and help most applications to
    some degree.

    However, if you really want to get jiggy with this, try to locate the PII-OD
    chips. 333Mhz on the 66Mhz bus, with 512K fullspeed cache. It performs like
    a PII-450 (in my opinon), and works in most systems that are dual
    compatable.

    I upgraded my ALR Evolution Dual 6 workstation (my webserver), and its fine.
    It serves up the sites i need like a bat outta hell, and I put an ALR 3drive
    Raid cage in there, and an Ultra SCSI Array controller (40MB/s) with 32M
    cache...

    Its a screamer, and will be for sale soon...

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, Aug 8, 2003
  7. Chas.

    Chas. Guest

    <snip>

    Here's a site on ALR Dual PPRos that might of interest to you:

    http://www.rockhounding.net/projects/alr7200/

    I found some info on Amperage requirements for VRMs for the various
    PPro 200 CPUs. It may not be completely acurate but its a start.

    Some one from Tyan reported that the 1Mb PPro draws 2.5 more amps than
    the 256/512K PPros, and would require a higher capacity VRM.

    256K should work with 11.2 Amp VRMs
    512k should work with 12.4 Amp VRMs
    1 MB should work with 15.5 Amp VRMs

    Some VRM Specs for PPro CPUs

    VXI VRM 073-20674-07 11.2amp
    VXI VRM 073-20713-01 12.4amp 5VIN
    VXI VRM 073-20714-01 ?
    VXI VRM 073-20715-01 14.5amp 5/12VIN 1.8/3.5VOUT
    VXI VRM 073-20674-07X 12.4amp
    VXI VRM 073-20740-01 16.0amp
    Raytheon RCB001 12.4amp
    Raytheon RCB006 15.5amp
    Canary 225529-001 ?
    Corsair SPX560KM ?

    Chas.

    Chas., Aug 8, 2003
  8. Chas.

    Chas. Guest

    I found some info on Amperage requirements for VRMs for the various
    PPro 200 CPUs. It may not be completely acurate but its a start.

    Some one from Tyan reported that the 1Mb PPro draws 2.5 more amps than
    the 256/512K PPros, and would require a higher capacity VRM.

    256K should work with 11.2 Amp VRMs
    512k should work with 12.4 Amp VRMs
    1 MB should work with 15.5 Amp VRMs

    Some VRM Specs for PPro CPUs

    VXI VRM 073-20674-07 11.2amp
    VXI VRM 073-20713-01 12.4amp 5VIN
    VXI VRM 073-20714-01 ?
    VXI VRM 073-20715-01 14.5amp 5/12VIN 1.8/3.5VOUT
    VXI VRM 073-20674-07X 12.4amp
    VXI VRM 073-20740-01 16.0amp
    Raytheon RCB001 12.4amp
    Raytheon RCB006 15.5amp
    Canary 225529-001 ?
    Corsair SPX560KM ?

    The onboard voltage regulator on your board may not be able to support
    the 1MB PPros.

    Chas.

    Chas., Aug 8, 2003
  9. Chas.

    J Rennert Guest

    Great info, I actually have no idea what capacity my VRMs are- I suspect
    they're the RCB001's, though, so I'll have to get that straightened out.
    I do know Tyan said the board could be used with the 1mb chips, but
    that's obviously dependent on the proper hardware.

    Thanks for that post.
    J.

    J Rennert, Aug 8, 2003
  10. Chas.

    Chas. Guest

    <snip>

    I put in the second CPU tonight. Installed the VRM, changed the
    "undocumented"
    jumper and booted it up. Started right up but didn't detect the 2nd
    CPU. Rebooted and bingo, "Second CPU Initialized".

    It's a Hemi 6 Pack!

    The heatsink that came with the CPU had a bad fan. I pulled a big one
    off of an old Athlon Slot A heatsink and fixed the problem.

    I also put in an extra 64MB of memory for 224MB total. I found 512MB
    for a good price on Ebay and I also picked up 2 matched PPro 200 512k
    CPUs for $12! This motherboard uses 1 onboard voltage regulator and 1
    VRM. The onboard VR probably can't take the current draw of a PPro 200
    1Mb CPU.

    Chas.

    Chas., Aug 11, 2003