    we have done this using fast software and the problems have stayed
    away?

    can the batteries cause this?

    Mick Miller, Apr 1, 2004

  2. perhaps your perc cards have old firmware. newer firmware would
    automatically switch the controller to writethru when a battery problem is
    detected... without that i automatic change i would image having the
    battery fail would behave like the raid controller failing, as if it was
    just suddendly pulled from the system (aka, blue screen). you probably
    should also replace the batteries.

    i think you should look into the open manage software that came with your
    systems or ask whoever it was that set them up how they intended to mange
    them.

    visit support .dell.com for the firmware updates and all documentation on
    your systems.

    Christopher Muto, Apr 1, 2004

  3. I just remembered another thing about the pe2600 that should prove helpful
    to you...
    the dell logo on the front panel is normally blue, but changes to a
    yellowish color when the system has a problem. a quick visual way to
    determine which systems need attention.

    Christopher Muto, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Mick Miller

    Robert Guest

    PERC & FAST - Oh no.
    You should treat the Dell patches & upgrades the same as Microsoft. Put
    them through change control and implement at a suitable time.
    Do a full backup.
    Deinstall FAST
    Upgrade Raid driver
    Upgrade BIOS, ESM & PERC firmware
    Install Array Manager.

    If Dell OpenManage Server Administrator is installed update it as well.

    Dell have been doing some proactive updates here in NZ using a set of 'snap'
    CD's (three) which have the software on them.

    Robert, Apr 2, 2004