Performance chart for E420R and modern V480 or T2000

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by robert.dowd, Jun 9, 2006.

  1. robert.dowd

    robert.dowd Guest

    hi there,

    does anyone have any performance data comparing E420Rs (4 x 450Mhz,
    4GB) to modern V480 (4 x 1.0Ghz) or T2000 servers.

    basically a V480 is equivalent to how many E420Rs?
    I'm not so concerned over IO or RAM but mainly raw CPU power.

    I cannot find this sort of performance comparison data on SUN site and
    their support people do not know either - (they know how to try sell me
    servers though...)

    Also is it a fair comparison to add up CPU cyles when making
    comparions?
    eg 4 way E420R == 4 x 450Mhz == 1.8Ghz of CPU

    therefore it is similar to a 2 x 1.0Ghz machine?

    Or how would you normally compare servers like this?

    I understand the chips are different too....

    thanks in advance,

    robert

    robert.dowd, Jun 9, 2006

  2. robert.dowd

    llothar Guest

    If you look at the SPEC benchmarks you see that in the integer domain
    the speed is linear to the cpu frequenz. So i would say yes. For
    floating point there was a significant jump in the USIII.

    But why the hell are you talking about pure CPU power with a sparc cpu
    ?
    If you want integer cpu power get an ix86 system and if you want
    floating point get an itanium.

    llothar, Jun 9, 2006

  3. robert.dowd

    rpasken Guest

    I am going to assume you are being sarcastic about the itanium as they
    are true dogs in terms of performance. Although SPEC benchmarks tell
    alot about a systems performance, the only true measure of performance
    is a test run with your specific load. Having said that, the loads that
    I deal with the Sparc floating point and integer performance is far
    better than any of the Intel processors. Only an AMD Opteron provides
    any competition and then only at 3x the clock speed. Running MM5,
    HYSPLIT4 and SLU-DRAS is an exercise in patience and frustration with
    an x86 processor. Random crashes of the system and programs are what
    you can expect from x86.

    rpasken, Jun 9, 2006
  4. robert.dowd

    Claus Dragon Guest

    Out of curiousity, what do you think how the new T1 cpu would perform
    in your line of work?
    --
    Claus Dragon <>
    =(UDIC)=

    - Me, lately.

    Claus Dragon, Jun 9, 2006
  5. robert.dowd

    robert.dowd Guest

    thanks for the info around the comparisons.

    For the most part, large organizations want stability and performance.
    X86 architecture doesn't give the stability that SPARC does. (as
    pointed out earlier)

    Its getting better, but still SPARC is the hardware of choice for
    discerning customers....

    i've heard from customers that a T2000 server is "twice as fast" as a
    V480....so you can read from that what you will.

    -robert

    robert.dowd, Jun 9, 2006
  6. The V480 is retired, why are you comparing V480 and
    not V490?
    I would look at the SPEC int rate numbers.
    a 4CPU 1.5GHZ USIV+ gives apx CINT2000 Rate 78/87.
    a 4CPU E420R gives less than CINT2000 Rate 10/11.

    So a V490 equals eight 420R in throughput.
    Using single threaded applications I would assume a V490 is 4x
    as fast.

    Regards
    Fredrik

    Fredrik Lundholm, Jun 10, 2006
  7. * :
    why should that be sarcastic?
    Fine. And for the tasks my employee does (mostly numerical simulations)
    the Itanium has proven to be the fastest solution when we bought our HP
    Superdomes (around between 1-2 years ago). The SPARC numbers were
    somewhere in the lower range so that it simply didn't cut it.
    Only of you choose crap hardware or if you make other mistakes (which
    also would lead to a crashing SPARC system). We run shitloads of x64 and
    x64 systems at work, most of thenm 24hrs/day and under heavy load, and
    we still have to see the "random crashes" you're talking about...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 22, 2006
  8. robert.dowd

    rpasken Guest

    I should have explain what MM5, HYPSLIT4 and SLU-DRAS are. MM5 is a
    very fine scale (1km/1min resolution) numerical weather prediction
    model It does very little I/O and is very floating point intensive. It
    reads raw weather data at the begining of the run and then the only I/O
    is when it spits out a specific forecast typically every 30 minutes of
    forecast time. HYSPLIT4 is an atmospheric dispersion model. Using MM5
    output it computes the concentrations of chemicals as they are
    dispersed. It handles chemical transformations as well as dispersion.
    SLU-DRAS is a real-time Doppler radar/lidar analysis system. It takes
    live multiple Doppler velocity and reflectivity data and converts it
    into the 3-D wind field, temperatures and pressures. All three systems
    are well documented software packages that run on a wide range of
    hardware. Only nuclear bomb testing software is more floating point
    intensive.

    I used Compaq/HP x86 hardware (ML-350 dual 1.4GHZ P3's)and a Sun (Blade
    1000 dual 750GHZ) running both Solaris and Linux for the benchmarks. No
    benchmark of any the software ran less than 5 days. Only about half my
    benchmarks completed on the compaq hardware due to sig seg violations
    at random points in the code. According to dmesg they were associated
    with memory errors.

    rpasken, Jun 29, 2006
  9. * :
    not necessary...
    Definitely not.
    So you have run these programs on an ancient Compaq ML350 P3 server with
    defective memory. Ok. And how does that relate to your statement that
    about Itanium which you obviously never ever used?

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jul 1, 2006