Performance Increase Athlon 64 3500 vs Athlon XP-M 2500 O'Ced to 3200

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Coca Cola Kid, Nov 6, 2004.

  1. Anyone have any idea as to the performance increase I would see. Current
    Setup as above with a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe adn and MSI NEO2 Platinum Board

    Coca Cola Kid, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Coca Cola Kid

    Ed Light Guest

    I'm interested too. Mobile 2200+ 35w, as a 3000+.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Nov 6, 2004

  3. Coca Cola Kid

    Chip Guest

    Wimp ;-) Your CPU is good for *way* more than 3000+ speeds. Should do
    2400MHz or more, I would think.

    Chip

    Chip, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Coca Cola Kid

    Ed Light Guest

    Well, I want to keep it quiet. I tried going on up a step to 1.65v and 3200+
    but when running 3d stuff it got hotter than I'd like, so I would have to
    crawl around the back under the desk and wick up the panaflo 80mm fan that's
    sucking the heat from my cpu (through a duct) to over it's quiet 2350 rpm.
    Too much trouble. I know, I ought to mount a forward fan control!
    Eventually. I can't move the Zalman Fan Mate I put at the back because I
    epoxied it in.

    However, by following this group, I was able to set it up with CrystalCPUID
    so that it runs as if it has cool 'n quiet. If I start that up it runs at
    500mhz unless duty calls, then it can go up through 1250 to 2083.

    With all the cpu heat going out the back, my system right now (cold day) is
    20C. If I run prime 95 it won't get any higher. If I do 3d the video card
    warms it up a bit -- but on my next one I'll put a vga silencer and blow all
    that out the back too. Maybe then I can run the cpu a little faster since it
    will get colder air during 3d.
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Nov 8, 2004
  5. Coca Cola Kid

    Courseyauto Guest

    I have a 90nm 3500 which i can overclock to 235 FSB (HTT),at 1.40 volts. It
    will go higher at 1.425 volts but i keep it lower. I am using a Gigabyte rocket
    3D cooler in a Lian Li lauminum case with 2 front fans and 1 rear fan and it
    stays at 29 C in a room thats 75 F. I am really impresed with the 90NM CPU's
    performance at the highest overclock 255 it will do 6950 in sandra memory
    benches. DOUG

    Courseyauto, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Got my mobile 2500 running at 2.5ghz, with a Zalman 7000A cu cooler,
    cant even hear it and it keeps it under 50c load.

    The Other Guy., Nov 9, 2004
  7. Coca Cola Kid

    Ed Light Guest

    That's nice. Not sure if it would fit on my board. Plus I'd be back to
    having cpu heat in the case. I'll probably just get a front fan controller
    set up, if I need more speed.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Nov 9, 2004
  8. Coca Cola Kid

    Chip Guest

    If you mean 29C idle temps, then with the greatest respect, that doesn't
    mean a lot. Since the CPU isn't drawing much current when its idling and
    you wouldn't expect it to get very warm anyway.

    If on the other hand, you mean it only reaches 29C under load, then I am
    afraid you are mistaken. With a room temperature of 24C and therefore a
    delta of 5C only that would mean your heatsink / fan is approximately four
    times more efficient than anything else on the market. Which is impossible.

    Under load, the very lowest possible temperature your CPU can possibly be is
    46C. That assumes class-leading heatsink performance and a case temp
    identical to your room temp (which is also impossible, actually). More
    realistically the load temp is probably mid-50's. If your sensors are
    saying 29C, they are miscalibrated.

    Chip

    Chip, Nov 9, 2004
  9. Coca Cola Kid

    Chip Guest

    EDIT: Correction. I see the 90nm part has a thermal output of around 70w
    at 1.4v under load. This will rise to perhaps 80w at 235MHz I would think.
    So my figures above are a little high. The lowest possible load temp is
    therefore around 42C, and more likely low 50's.

    Chip

    Chip, Nov 9, 2004
  10. Coca Cola Kid

    Courseyauto Guest

    If you mean 29C idle temps, then with the greatest respect, that doesn't
    mean a lot. Since the CPU isn't drawing much current when its idling and
    you wouldn't expect it to get very warm anyway.
    afraid you are mistaken. With a room temperature of 24C and therefore a
    delta of 5C only that would mean your heatsink / fan is approximately four
    Under load, the very lowest possible temperature your CPU can possibly be is
    identical to your room temp (which is also impossible, actually). More
    saying 29C, they are miscalibrated.
    29 C IDLE and 33 C load after a 3D mark bench.

    Courseyauto, Nov 9, 2004
  11. Coca Cola Kid

    Courseyauto Guest

    at 1.4v under load. This will rise to perhaps 80w at 235MHz I would think.
    therefore around 42C, and more likely low 50's.

    Correction-39 C idle and 42 C load after 3 D mark.

    Courseyauto, Nov 9, 2004
  12. Coca Cola Kid

    Chip Guest

    42C is just about believable after 3d mark - since its not taxing the CPU
    100%. I wonder what your load temps would be after 1 hr of "toast.exe"?
    And it needs a full hour for your case and all the components in it to come
    up to temp. Probably nearer 50C I would think. Your temp sensors may well
    report less though: motherboard manufacturers have a tendency to calibrate
    the sensors to report lower temps: it keeps their customers happy. LOL.

    Cheers

    Chip

    Chip, Nov 9, 2004
  13. Coca Cola Kid

    Courseyauto Guest

    100%. I wonder what your load temps would be after 1 hr of "toast.exe"?
    And it needs a full hour for your case and all the components in it to come
    report less though: motherboard manufacturers have a tendency to calibrate
    the sensors to report lower temps: it keeps their customers >happy. LOL.

    Cheers

    Why would i run toast.exe or prime 95,i only use things that are useful,like my
    flight sim and a road racing game. To me those test are of no value. I use
    my computer for real apps.

    Courseyauto, Nov 9, 2004
  14. Coca Cola Kid

    Courseyauto Guest

    Heres a review of the cooler i have on an XP3200 that is running at Least 1.5
    volts and keeps the CPU slamed 24/7. It should answer your questions. Remember
    mine is running at 1.4 volts and in a cooler room.

    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/article-9259.php

    Courseyauto, Nov 9, 2004
  15. Coca Cola Kid

    Wes Newell Guest

    From my experiences with testing coolers, I wouldn't believe one thing in
    this review. Here's just a couple of things in it that give it away..

    First, out of curiosity, I tried the stock AMD cooler that came with the
    XP3200 (aluminium fins and 60mm fan). I was surprised, it gave me exactly
    the same temperatures as the SLK-800.

    Everyone should knows that's BS. And then this after installing the new
    cooler.

    I was getting a CPU temperature of 65C. I let it run for 20 minutes, then observed this:
    CPU temperature of 47C and case temperature of 37C

    Need I say more.:)

    Wes Newell, Nov 9, 2004
  16. Coca Cola Kid

    Ykalon Guest

    If you built computers for a living or overclock, Prime 95 and other
    apps like it is a must.

    Ykalon, Nov 9, 2004
  17. Coca Cola Kid

    Chip Guest

    Fair point. The only problem is, we need a reference point for what
    constitutes "load". Otherwise comparing "load" temps is meaningless. One
    person's idea of load might be a fast and furious game of solitaire!

    Chip

    Chip, Nov 10, 2004
  18. Coca Cola Kid

    Courseyauto Guest

    Fair point. The only problem is, we need a reference point for what
    person's idea of load might be a fast and furious game of solitaire!

    intend to do video rendering or some thing like that,then prime 95 and the
    likes are overkill. What might not be stable with prime 95 could not cause you
    any problems with lesser apps. My point is load veries according to need not
    maximum load.

    Courseyauto, Nov 10, 2004
  19. Coca Cola Kid

    Courseyauto Guest

    From my experiences with testing coolers, I wouldn't believe one thing in
    this review. Here's just a couple of things in it that give it away..
    XP3200 (aluminium fins and 60mm fan). I was surprised, it gave me exactly
    Everyone should knows that's BS. And then this after installing the new
    cooler.
    observed this:
    CPU temperature of 47C and case temperature of 37C

    Its sort of like should i believe you or the reviewer,your just some smuck on
    a newsgroup,and since you dont have one i'll go with the reviewer. I have
    the cooler ,i know how well it works.

    Courseyauto, Nov 10, 2004
  20. Coca Cola Kid

    Ed Light Guest

    I was getting a CPU temperature of 65C. I let it run for 20 minutes, then
    Could be grease breaking in.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/