    But same problem.

    Anyone know what it could be? I don't want 40G of storage go to
    waste.

    Tomas, Sep 20, 2004

  2. I got that useful error on a Presario (old K6-2/400) the boot before the
    boot its 10g Win98 boot drive failed. The drive had been making clicking
    noises for some time (weeks or months). But it was primarily running
    Linux from a different drive, so no loss. I originally purchased that PC
    for $100 which included a free year of MSN (out of the box return). It
    would not initially boot until all drives (CD and LS-120) except hard
    driver were unplugged, because they were incorrectly jumpered cable
    select.

    Are the drives jumpered master and slave, or cable select? The original
    drive cable was likely cable select (because I used the cable from a 5000
    that died to transfer data to a new PC). But what cable type or jumper
    setting did you use for CD or DVD? Maybe a drive on the secondary IDE
    channel is not connected or jumpered properly.

    David Efflandt, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Tomas

    Ben Myers Guest

    Agreed, check the jumpers on the drives and the type of IDE cable. Compaq has
    long used cable select type cables with one of the wire leads cut. You can see
    the cut if you hold the cable up to the light.

    The Compaq BIOS, like many other modern ones, has a built-in hard drive test in
    its Power On Self Test (POST) routine. The test can be disabled (turned off),
    but it serves as a good warning about the relative sanity of hard disk drives.

    Some questions. What is the age & vintage of the computer? What type of
    processor? Older computers have BIOS limitations in terms of recognizing and
    configuring for hard drive capacity. As a rule of thumb, a newer Pentium class
    computer usually is limited to 8.4GB, as are some early Pentium II computers.
    Many late Pentium II and Pentium III computers have a 32GB BIOS limit.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 21, 2004
  4. What do you mean by "newer Pentium class"? Even my old Presario K6-2/400
    could handle at least 32MB drives, because it came with 10g and I added a
    30g drive to it. And that 30g drive is currently running in an old 300
    MHz Celeron (Compaq Deskpro) pppoe/firewall/router. I have a friends 5000
    series 1.2 GHz Celeron that died (fans run, no POST or video with any
    video card, but its original drive still works in another PC).

    If the drive is fully formatted and the BIOS has a 32g limit, the BIOS may
    think that is an error. Although, I would think it could be
    repartitioned/formatted to use at least 32g. At one time I used a 540MB
    drive on an old 386 that had no LBA (1024 cyls limited it to 528MB/504MB
    depending upon how count). Not sure what affect it would have if the
    drive was configured for UDMA66 on a 33 MHz controller.

    David Efflandt, Sep 22, 2004
  5. Tomas

    Ben Myers Guest

    David,

    There is no firm dividing line between BIOSes with 8.4GB and with 32GB limits.
    "As a rule of thumb" means what it says. It is a generalization for which there
    are exceptions. If I had instead generalized based upon a time line rather
    than processor type, there would still be exceptions.

    A system designed to use an AMD K6/2 @ 400MHz is new enough that its BIOS got
    tweaked to handle newer larger drives up to 32GB, even tho it is a Socket 7
    Pentium-class computer. By contrast, I've had the misfortune of dealing with
    similar vintage DEC branded machines with a fairly crippled BIOS capable of
    handling only 8.0GB. Not even 8.4GB like the rest of the world at the time.
    Yes, 8.0GB, by manually entering in BIOS different BIOS parameters for an 8.4GB
    drive.

    A Celeron falls into the Pentium II class of computer, so it is more than likely
    to support 32GB. On the other hand, early (just about the first) Pentium II
    Intel 440FX Natoma chipset motherboards had a built-in BIOS limit of 8.4GB.

    Bottom line is that there are only two ways to find out BIOS limits for certain.
    First one is to refer to manufacturer's documentation. This is futile for
    Compaq computers, as well as HP, eMachines, and a whole host of other name
    brands and plain old motherboards. Second way is to try using a drive of a
    given capacity. Still, a rule of thumb can often save one from wasting ones
    time trying futile combinations of hardware... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 22, 2004
  6. Tomas

    Tomas Guest

    Thank you David and Ben!!!!!

    It was the jumper setting. The boot drive from Compaq was setted
    Cable Select. The last owner of the PC replaced the CD drive with a
    CD-R and setted it as Slave on the second IDE.

    So when I place the 40G Maxtor as Slave on the primary IDE or Cable
    Select on the secondary IDE, I would get the "Imminent Failure"
    message. Everything is fine when placed on the primary as CS or on
    the secondary as Master.

    Also, is there a way to view the POST process? Right now I see just
    the Compaq logo.

    Thanks again

    Tomas, Sep 22, 2004
  7. Tomas

    Ben Myers Guest

    Entering the setup for many Compaqs is accomplished by hitting the F10 key while
    the computer is counting its memory and doing the other basic diagnostic tests
    which are part of the initial Power On Self Test (POST). The BIOS setup should
    offer you the option to view the steps in the POST. Look for an option entitled
    "Silent BIOS" or similar... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 22, 2004