Persario 5002 US Upgrade to XP Home

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Tate Jackson, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. Tate Jackson

    Tate Jackson Guest

    I've run into a problem upgrading from Windows ME to XP Home on a Presario
    5002US Desktop. We can't do a Clean install or an Upgrade Install.

    The XP installation disk refused to copy over 10 or 15 files. They are
    mostly .dll files and .drv files. The install gets to about 99 percent
    complete and then dumps we into the blue screen of death.

    Is there some trick to upgrading Presario 5000 series to Windows XP. The
    machine has an 800 mhz Duron and 256 megs of Ram. We are using the Upgrade
    addition of XP Home. WE have tried using the Compaq Windows ME restore cd
    to put the computer to factory specs and then attempting the upgrade. Same
    problems. We tried wiping the hardrive and installing Windows 98 and then
    attempting the upgrade. Same problems. Are we running into a Compaq
    Proprietary Issue here?

    Thanks in advance for the help.

    Tate

    In order to make an apple pie
    from scratch, you must first
    create the universe.

    -- Carl Sagan, Cosmos

    Tate Jackson, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Tate Jackson

    Tom Scales Guest

    Look at the bottom of the CD. Is it scratched?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Feb 9, 2004

  3. Tate Jackson

    Tate Jackson Guest

    It doesn't appear to be. I'll try cleaning it and see if that helps.

    Tate

    Tate Jackson, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Tate Jackson

    HH Guest

    Compaq offers driver support for XP for the 5002US, so I doubt there are
    proprietary issues. Has any hardware been added/changed in the PC? Did you
    run the hardware/software compatibility tests at the beginning if the XP
    install?
    HH

    HH, Feb 9, 2004
  5. Tate Jackson

    Tate Jackson Guest

    The only hardware cahnge to the computer is the addition of 128 megs of ram.
    The original 128 meg memry stick is still in the computer (256 meg total).
    XP compatitbilty test showed no problems with upgrading to xp.

    Thanks

    Tate Jackson, Feb 9, 2004
  6. Tate Jackson

    David Guest

    Try restoring ME first and then run the Presario cleanup utility before
    upgrading to XP.
    Download the cleanup utility here.. http://tinyurl.com/3ehuw

    David, Feb 9, 2004
  7. Tate Jackson

    HH Guest

    Just for grins, I'd suggest either swapping out the added 128MB DIMM or
    trying the XP install without the extra memory. Finnicky DIMMs can be a bear
    to isolate.
    HH

    HH, Feb 9, 2004
  8. Hi.

    There should not be a problem it you do a clean install
    You will lose some of the functions that you had with the original factory
    installation.
    I am running Windows XP Pro on a Presario 5002US with
    768MB of 100 Mhz SDRam 1.4GHz Athlon Thunderbird.
    I also got the keyboard functions to operate correctly.

    Cheers

    Kim And John Holtz, Feb 9, 2004
  9. Tate Jackson

    the yeti Guest

    Sounds to me like bad media to me. Upgrades of an OS is never a
    really good thing when Windows is involved. Too bad you only have an
    upgrade disc. If it was bad RAM you would most likely be getting a
    STOP error. BTW, 800 Duron 256 is what I would conside the absolute
    minimum for XP. You might consider win2k.

    the yeti, Feb 9, 2004
  10. Tate Jackson

    Tate Jackson Guest

    WE got it working. Removing the memory stick did the trick. We'll see how
    everything works when we put the ram back in.

    thanks for the help.

    Tate

    Tate Jackson, Feb 10, 2004
  11. Tate Jackson

    HH Guest

    DIMMs can get flakey. Glad you got it to install.

    HH

    HH, Feb 10, 2004