    -Charlie Guest

    Anyone know if this CPU will work with my GA-M57SLI-S4 Rev 2 ?

    I'm thinking that this would be a good upgrade from my X2-6000+

    -Charlie, Jan 12, 2009

  2. -Charlie

    jk Guest

    I suppose not:
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2513

    The power draw of that Phenom is substantial (125 Watt). Would it be a
    better idea with 9350E ? it's fully supported either.
    In May they will come with a 45 watt quad at 2.5 GHz on AM3.

    best regards

    John

    jk, Jan 13, 2009

  3. -Charlie

    pokey man Guest

    IF your board is an AM2+ AND you have a 790FX or GX AND you have the 700 (ie
    750) series southbridge
    AND your web site has a bios update for your board it should work. it is a
    dropin replacement for boards that support 125/140 watt
    processors

    good luck

    Pokeyman

    pokey man, Jan 13, 2009
  4. -Charlie

    pokey man Guest

    off gigabyte site

    *Note: If you install AMD AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherbord, the system bus speed
    will downgrade from HT3.0(5200MHz) to HT1.0(2000 MT/s) spec; however, the
    frequency of AM2+ CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support List"
    for more information.

    and I looked at your specs and I think you could since your board supports
    125 watt Phenoms, though why you would want to put a High Performance
    Processor in a low peformance mother board.... like putting a dragster moter
    in a chevette and cutting the air and fuel to it so it dont go so fast...

    Pokeyman

    pokey man, Jan 13, 2009
  5. -Charlie

    -Charlie Guest

    Thanks for the responses jk and pokey man. Think I'll wait
    for the AM3 version and look to upgrade motherboard
    and proc at the same time.

    Thanks for the advice :)

    -Charlie, Jan 13, 2009
  6. -Charlie

    -Charlie Guest

    The memory will only run at 800mhz but heck for a bios upgrade,
    $235 and free shipping from egghead, I ordered one. I already did
    the bios upgrade to FHD. Guess I'll see :)

    Motherboard Model GA-M57SLI-S4(rev. 2.0)
    PCB 2.0
    Vender Model Frequency L2 Cache L3 Cache Core Name Process Stepping
    Wattage System
    Bus(MHz) 2000
    AMD Phenom II X4 940 3000Mhz 512KBx4 6MB Deneb 45nm C2 125W 3600 FHD

    -Charlie, Jan 20, 2009
  7. -Charlie

    pokey man Guest

    let us know how things work out.... 800mhz? that must be the kind of memory
    you already had.. hee hee put a jet engine on a piper cub and hold the
    throttle back and hope the wings dont come off LOL

    Pokeyman

    pokey man, Jan 21, 2009
  8. -Charlie

    -Charlie Guest

    I Received my 940 yesterday. The CPU swap was a piece of cake. The heat
    sink
    that came with the new Phenom II chip was exactly the same as the one that
    had come
    with my old 6000+x2 CPU.
    I did figure out how to go into the advanced bios mode using ctr-F1 and set
    the memory
    speed to 533/1066.
    I have been using the system all day and it seems very solid ! :) the CPU
    temp stays
    around 35 Celsius.

    I'm very happy with the upgrade :) thanks AMD and Gigabyte !

    -Charlie, Jan 27, 2009
  9. -Charlie

    pokey man Guest

    AWESOME dude!