Phenom II On M2N-E or M3A?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Peter van der Goes, Jan 11, 2009.

  1. Both boards socket-compatible, and I have both running Phenoms. Anybody
    tried a Phenom II in either board?

    Peter van der Goes, Jan 11, 2009

  2. Peter van der Goes

    pokey man Guest

    am2+ boards ok, according to the amd site

    Pokeyman

    pokey man, Jan 11, 2009

  3. Peter van der Goes

    Skipai Otter Guest

    Aye, just waiting to see if 1701 bios is okay or Asus is going to release
    another one for the M3N-HT :)

    Skipai Otter, Jan 12, 2009
  4. Peter van der Goes

    pokey man Guest

    pokey man, Jan 12, 2009
  5. Peter van der Goes

    Paul Guest

    Things sure are a mess right now. Looks like a wave of DDR3 product
    is waiting to be released. Judging by the spec sheet for this
    board, this one looks like AM2+ socket with DDR3 slots (because it
    says it takes AM2/AM2+/AM3 processors - I expect the AM2 claim is
    a mistake, and for AM2+ maybe just the 920/940 might apply). And
    looking at the AMD 31116 document, it is possible the DDR3-1333 speed,
    is with two sticks installed (see Table 17 and 18 of 31116). It could
    well fall back when four sticks are installed. That might be why the
    DDR3-1333 speed in the Asrock specs, is highlighted in red.

    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/10928/first_look_at_asrock_s_am3_based_m3a790gxh_128m/index.html

    Spec sheet (in the form of an Excel spreadsheet)

    http://images.tweaktown.com/imagebank/news_M3A790GXH.xls

    There is a partial roadmap here.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenom_II#Phenom_II

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM3

    So there are plenty of choices to make, and plenty of
    technical details for the motherboard makers to have to
    support in a short period of time. If they're working on
    a new wave of boards, that might dampen their
    enthusiasm for updating a lot of older BIOSes
    immediately. They'd have a lot on their plates.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 12, 2009
  6. Peter van der Goes

    pokey man Guest

    there is/are bios upgrades available for the boards reccmmeded on the amd
    site. myself I am getting the foxconn A79A-S and 2 4870's. it has the
    790fx and 750 combo and 2 100/1000 eithernet plugs. im building a rack
    mount system w 3 phenom II 940's and 30 Tera.drive system... ought to be a
    hell of a multimedia system

    Pokeyman

    pokey man, Jan 12, 2009
  7. Peter van der Goes

    pokey man Guest

    Its the new capicitors... solid design more stable I take it you arent
    OCing it. I like the 2 RJ45 jacks. I looked at a lot of boards for this
    system and foxconn came out in first place. cant find a foxconn newsgroup
    though

    Pokeyman

    pokey man, Jan 13, 2009
  8. Peter van der Goes

    pokey man Guest

    9950? 2.6??? that;s the default clock... I have read of 3.2 ghz oc's the
    black edition means unlocked multiplyer. foxconns over clocking program is
    ok, but try AMD's Overdrive off the amd website you might get more. btw,
    anything you can tell any quirks about the board... i heard the slots (16x)
    are too far apart to put the bridge on xfire cards is that true?

    Pokeyman

    cheers
    Pokeyman

    pokey man, Jan 15, 2009
  9. Peter van der Goes

    pokey man Guest

    snip
    found this review:

    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/09/15/foxconn-digitalife-a79a-s/1

    they said in part the board is crap:

    We managed a nice, round 3GHz stable out of a Phenom 9850 Black Edition
    which certainly isn't that bad at all. However we were able to push the
    Gigabyte 790GX with SB750 to 3.2GHz but the Foxconn A79A-S wouldn't go this
    far without locking up. We tried +4 and +6 on the ACC but instantly the
    system locked up - +2 seemed to be the sweetspot.
    There are so many little things left out that just aren't checked - the blue
    PCI-Express x16 slots are too far apart for normal CrossFire connectors and
    Foxconn doesn't include its own ones. In the end, we had to use specially
    long Asus ones and we doubt that many end users have the spare resources
    that we do in the office. Continuing, there is the SATA port
    incompatibility, the MOSFET heatsinks getting just too hot under extended,
    high power load and the continually bad audio implementation.

    guess i'll keep looking

    cheers

    Pokeyman

    pokey man, Jan 15, 2009