    Any ideas ? (its got me foxed)

    Could the drive / firmware be downrating this media based on the initial
    burn ? ("adapting" the rate)

    Colin Wilson, May 31, 2006

  2. Colin Wilson

    Dave Guest

    Yes, try a different brand media. I have the same drive and it works
    fine on Verbatim -R 16x and TDK +R 8x media. I bought some el cheapo
    8x +R Staples media, and it only burns that at 4x.

    FYI, the Philips 8701 and the BenQ 1640 are the same drive and you can
    crossflash between the two.

    http://www.the-predator.com/dell/firmware.html

    Dave

    Dave, May 31, 2006

  3. Colin Wilson

    Colin Wilson Guest

    FYI, the Philips 8701 and the BenQ 1640 are the same drive and you can
    Thanks for the link - its the most comprehensive list of instructions
    i`d come across yet :)

    It sounds almost like the 8701 is applying the "solidburn" option of the
    1640 by re-speccing the media as 4x

    Colin Wilson, May 31, 2006
  4. Colin Wilson

    Colin Wilson Guest

    FYI, the Philips 8701 and the BenQ 1640 are the same drive and you can
    FWIW I flashed to the firmware it suggested, and the same media was
    reporting as ok up to 12x, then flashed a second time to the newest
    firmware on the Benq site and it dropped the speed back to 8x - either
    way, its better than the 4x I was getting :)

    Thanks v much :)

    Colin Wilson, May 31, 2006
  5. Colin Wilson

    Dave Guest

    I think I get slightly better quality burns with it flashed as a BenQ,
    but being able to use the Qsuite utilities make it definitely
    worthwhile.

    Also, BenQ frequently issues firmware updates. Dell hasn't issued one
    yet for the 8701. :-(

    Dave

    Dave, Jun 1, 2006