    looked at the preview in Mail), you will see that they ask for all kinds
    of personal information, including your credit card number and security
    code, mother's maiden name, etc.

    David Fritzinger, May 3, 2014

  2. David Fritzinger

    Guest

    Beware of people writing in English that obviously don't know it well.
    And, feel free to enter bogus/insulting/etc data here. Heh.

    Billy Y..

    , May 3, 2014

  3. David Fritzinger

    Alan Browne Guest

    I get 2 or 3 per day of these. They come in English, French, German,
    Italian, Spanish and various eastern European languages. I open the odd
    one for potential entertainment (filling the fields with comments about
    their mother and so in occasionally therapeutic).

    Mainly I ignore and delete them.

    Alan Browne, May 3, 2014
  4. David Fritzinger

    Alan Browne Guest

    I do that manually on occasion when sufficiently moved - but perhaps I
    need to set up an autofill to do it.

    Alan Browne, May 3, 2014
  5. David Fritzinger

    Tim McNamara Guest

    So, not native English speakers then...

    Tim McNamara, May 3, 2014
  6. David Fritzinger

    George Kerby Guest

    Yep, I got the same damn thing. Promptly marked it a s-h-i-t and went on my
    way.

    If they don't have my name, f--k em...

    George Kerby, May 3, 2014
  7. David Fritzinger

    JF Mezei Guest

    Nobody should be using a email client that displays HTML as HTML, and
    doesn't have a "view source" option.

    "Received from" headers provide very good information. An Apple email
    doesn't come from aol for instance),

    JF Mezei, May 4, 2014
  8. David Fritzinger

    Your Name Guest

    Hovering the mouse over the link in many applications will also display
    the real address from the source code. That's usually enough to tell
    you it's a fake. Even if it doesn't say something completely obvious
    like "astrohackers.com", it will usually try hopelessley to hide the
    fact with something silly like apple.xyz.ru.

    The problem can be legitimate links in email newsletters generated by
    places like MailChimp. These often use coded links which then
    auto-redirect - the coded link is used by the sender's MailChimp
    account for statiscal purposes to see how many people clicked the link.

    Your Name, May 4, 2014
  9. David Fritzinger

    George Kerby Guest

    "Apple <>" was the bullshit address in this case.

    George Kerby, May 4, 2014
  10. David Fritzinger

    Paul Sture Guest

    Agreed that an Apple email doesn't come from aol, but with all this cloud
    stuff, some mails from large companies are coming from domains that aren't
    the ones you would expect. They should pay more attention to details
    like this.

    Paul Sture, May 10, 2014
  11. Yeah, but if you use the basic rule of "don't click in email", you
    generally don't run into issues. If I get an email from what is
    supposedly a place that might be of interest, I just go to that place
    outside of email. If it is legit, the action/info will be there, if it
    isn't then the email was bogus.

    Beats the hell out of 'viewing source' and having your eyeballs get
    tired trying to read though all the crap those phoney emails have put
    there imo.

    Lloyd E Parsons, May 10, 2014
  12. David Fritzinger

    Alan Browne Guest

    Yep. Though on some obvious phishes I can't resist checking out the
    link. Very often Chrome flags it as a phish in any case.

    Alan Browne, May 10, 2014
  13. David Fritzinger

    Tim Streater Guest

    This is why, in my email client, I specifically implemented phishing
    tooltips: hover the mouse over a supposed URL and get a tip telling you
    where you will *actually* go if you click it.

    Tim Streater, May 11, 2014