    But you moved your goods on roads we all paid for. You hired workers we
    all paid to educate. So keep a big hunk of the money from your factory.
    But take a hunk and pay it forward. Elizabeth Warren (paraphrased)

    Charles H. Sampson, May 20, 2014

  2. Charles H. Sampson

    Patty Winter Guest

    In article <1llybbo.i5p9ao169ieo2N%>,
    Charles H. Sampson <> wrote:

    > I'd be quite happy to look this up in the comp.sys.mac.system
    >archive. Is there one somewhere? If the USENET archive still at Google
    >Groups, I haven't figured out how to find it.

    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.sys.mac.system

    Patty

    Patty Winter, May 21, 2014

  3. Charles H. Sampson

    Your Name Guest

    Sampson <> wrote:

    > I have a G4 running Tiger with a DSL connection. If the phone rings
    > when it's asleep, it wakes up. Is there any way to stop this?
    >
    > I'd be quite happy to look this up in the comp.sys.mac.system
    > archive. Is there one somewhere? If the USENET archive still at Google
    > Groups, I haven't figured out how to find it.

    Have you got line filters on the appropriate phoneline wall sockets?

    Is the phone on the same desk and physically shaking it enough to move
    the mouse and wake the computer?

    Fax or answerphone software of some sort?

    I can't think of any other reason why the ringing phone would wake a
    computer.

    Your Name, May 21, 2014
  4. Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > On 2014-05-20, Charles H. Sampson <> wrote:
    > > I have a G4 running Tiger with a DSL connection. If the phone rings
    > > when it's asleep, it wakes up. Is there any way to stop this?
    > >
    > > I'd be quite happy to look this up in the comp.sys.mac.system
    > > archive. Is there one somewhere? If the USENET archive still at Google
    > > Groups, I haven't figured out how to find it.

    > Disable this setting:
    >
    > System Preferences > Energy Saver > Wake for Ethernet access

    Many thanks. When looking for that I found another enabled setting
    called "Wake when the modem detects a ring."I've disabled that one but
    left the "Wake of Ethernet access" enabled. I'm not sure what "Ethernet
    access" means (Help doesn't help) but I think I might want it when I try
    to wirelessly connect another computer to the G4.

    I'll report the results of this experiment.

    Charlie
    --
    Nobody in this country got rich on his own. You built a factory--good.

    Charles H. Sampson, May 21, 2014
  5. Patty Winter <> wrote:

    > In article <1llybbo.i5p9ao169ieo2N%>,
    > Charles H. Sampson <> wrote:
    > >
    > > I'd be quite happy to look this up in the comp.sys.mac.system
    > >archive. Is there one somewhere? If the USENET archive still at Google
    > >Groups, I haven't figured out how to find it.

    > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.sys.mac.system

    Great! When I went to groups.google.com I was redirected to
    groups.google.com/forum/#!overview. I see nothing on that page that
    indicates how to get to the USENET archive. Now I know. Thanks.

    Charlie

    Charles H. Sampson, May 21, 2014
  6. Your Name <> wrote:

    > In article <1llybbo.i5p9ao169ieo2N%>, Charles H.
    > Sampson <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a G4 running Tiger with a DSL connection. If the phone rings
    > > when it's asleep, it wakes up. Is there any way to stop this?
    > >
    > > I'd be quite happy to look this up in the comp.sys.mac.system
    > > archive. Is there one somewhere? If the USENET archive still at Google
    > > Groups, I haven't figured out how to find it.

    > Have you got line filters on the appropriate phoneline wall sockets?
    >
    > Is the phone on the same desk and physically shaking it enough to move
    > the mouse and wake the computer?
    >
    > Fax or answerphone software of some sort?

    Many thanks for your time but I had already considered all of
    these. I wondered if I had a faulty filter that allow some of the voice
    line information to leak into the DSL side. I've even tried putting the
    mouse upside down thinking that a little jiggle might be causing the
    problem. I made sure that the machine wasn't set to handle incoming FAX.

    I'm currently trying Jolly Roger's suggestion -- sort of -- and I
    suspect that it will cure the problem.

    Charlie

    Charles H. Sampson, May 21, 2014
  7. Charles H. Sampson

    David Empson Guest

    Charles H. Sampson <> wrote:

    > Jolly Roger <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 2014-05-20, Charles H. Sampson <> wrote:
    > > > I have a G4 running Tiger with a DSL connection. If the phone rings
    > > > when it's asleep, it wakes up. Is there any way to stop this?
    > > >
    > > > I'd be quite happy to look this up in the comp.sys.mac.system
    > > > archive. Is there one somewhere? If the USENET archive still at Google
    > > > Groups, I haven't figured out how to find it.

    > > Disable this setting:
    > >
    > > System Preferences > Energy Saver > Wake for Ethernet access

    > Many thanks. When looking for that I found another enabled setting
    > called "Wake when the modem detects a ring."I've disabled that one but
    > left the "Wake of Ethernet access" enabled. I'm not sure what "Ethernet
    > access" means (Help doesn't help) but I think I might want it when I try
    > to wirelessly connect another computer to the G4.

    "Wake when the modem detects a ring" only applies to the built-in modem
    in the G4, if you have the telephone line plugged directly into the G4
    (e.g. if you are using a dial-up Internet connection, or you use the G4
    to send or receive faxes).

    The "Wake for Ethernet access" option refers to a mechanism supported by
    many computers called a "Magic Packet", which is a specially formed
    Ethernet packet that identifies a specific computer to be woken
    (incorporating the globally unique hardware address of the Ethernet
    interface, also known as the "MAC address", which Apple usually refers
    to as the "Ethernet ID" in System Preferences).

    If that packet is detected and the option is enabled, then the Mac will
    wake up. It is typically used by "Wake on LAN" software, or recent
    Airport base stations which support acting as a Bonjour sleep proxy and
    can wake up a sleeping server when a connection attempt is made to a
    service which the computer had advertised on the network prior to going
    to sleep.

    This packet would not be randomly appearing on your network (with the
    correct checksum) just because the telephone rang. Something external
    would have to be deliberately sending it. The DSL modem might have the
    ability to send that packet (from its administrative user interface),
    but I've never heard of one which does so automatically in response to a
    ringing signal on the telephone line.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, May 21, 2014
  8. Charles H. Sampson

    JF Mezei Guest

    On 14-05-21 02:51, Charles H. Sampson wrote:

    > left the "Wake of Ethernet access" enabled. I'm not sure what "Ethernet
    > access" means (Help doesn't help)

    Wake on Ethernet is a setting that makes the ethernet card not sleep.
    Upon receo]t of a specially crafted ETHERNET packet, the ethernet card
    sends a signal to the machine to wakeup. You phone would not be sending
    such a packet to that machine.

    If your phone is left connected to your mac to recharge etc, it is
    possible that when you wake up the phone, it wakes up the machine (and a
    inbound call would wake up the phone).

    You can test this fairly easily: when phone and computer are asleep,
    just press the home button on the phone to wake it up and see if it
    wakes up the computer.

    Another possibility: if you have photos on the iphone, it may also start
    the iPhone application when it wakes up.

    JF Mezei, May 21, 2014
  9. Charles H. Sampson

    JF Mezei Guest

    On 14-05-21 02:51, Charles H. Sampson wrote:

    > Great! When I went to groups.google.com I was redirected to
    > groups.google.com/forum/#!overview. I see nothing on that page that
    > indicates how to get to the USENET archive. Now I know. Thanks.

    Google recently removed the "deja news" search page. It is still
    possible to search, but not so obvious

    groups.google.com

    specify group:comp.sys.mac.system string (where string is what you are
    looking for).

    Note that this does not work for all groups. For instance, it won't
    work for alt.cellular.fido for this, you need to enter it manually with

    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.cellular.fido

    JF Mezei, May 21, 2014
  10. Charles H. Sampson

    Lewis Guest

    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN>

    --
    "Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to
    those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

    Lewis, May 21, 2014
  11. Charles H. Sampson <> wrote:

    > Jolly Roger <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 2014-05-20, Charles H. Sampson <> wrote:
    > > > I have a G4 running Tiger with a DSL connection. If the phone rings
    > > > when it's asleep, it wakes up. Is there any way to stop this?
    > > >
    > > > I'd be quite happy to look this up in the comp.sys.mac.system
    > > > archive. Is there one somewhere? If the USENET archive still at Google
    > > > Groups, I haven't figured out how to find it.

    > > Disable this setting:
    > >
    > > System Preferences > Energy Saver > Wake for Ethernet access

    > Many thanks. When looking for that I found another enabled setting
    > called "Wake when the modem detects a ring."I've disabled that one but
    > left the "Wake of Ethernet access" enabled. I'm not sure what "Ethernet
    > access" means (Help doesn't help) but I think I might want it when I try
    > to wirelessly connect another computer to the G4.
    >
    > I'll report the results of this experiment.

    And here I am reporting. Based on one day's experience, disabling
    "Wake when the modem detects a ring" solves my problem. The computer
    slept happily today while the phone rang unceasingly. (We're in the
    run-up to an election.)

    Charlie

    Charles H. Sampson, May 22, 2014