Photo editing: monitor options

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by AD, Dec 4, 2012.

  1. AD

    AD Guest

    Wife wants my mbp13" for photo edits, low res (768 by 13xx)
    notwithstanding.

    Not willing to part with that hardware I'm thinking a decent IPS
    monitor for my win XP PC.

    Thoughts and options for the monitor.

    Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
    Must not have brave new world design.
    Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution

    I think the color fidelity requirement rules out all TN panels. No?

    bonus points if it still can play video without much distortion but is
    not a hard requirement
    bonus points if it's tilt adjustable

    I _AM_ on the budget :^)

    all opinions are welcome

    AD, Dec 4, 2012

  2. AD

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 22:29:08 -0800 (PST), AD <> wrote:

    >Wife wants my mbp13" for photo edits, low res (768 by 13xx)
    >notwithstanding.
    >
    >Not willing to part with that hardware I'm thinking a decent IPS
    >monitor for my win XP PC.
    >
    >Thoughts and options for the monitor.
    >
    >Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
    >Must not have brave new world design.
    >Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution
    >
    >I think the color fidelity requirement rules out all TN panels. No?
    >
    >bonus points if it still can play video without much distortion but is
    >not a hard requirement
    >bonus points if it's tilt adjustable
    >
    >I _AM_ on the budget :^)
    >
    >all opinions are welcome

    Keep the monitor. Dump the wife.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 4, 2012

  3. AD

    Nick Fotis Guest

    On 04/12/2012 08:29, AD wrote:

    > Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
    > Must not have brave new world design.
    > Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution

    I would suggest the Dell UltraSharp 2412M, which is IPS and has 1200
    pixels vertical resolution (if my memory works well)

    Cheers,
    N.F.

    Nick Fotis, Dec 4, 2012
  4. AD

    Peter Jason Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Wife wants my mbp13" for photo edits, low res (768 by 13xx)
    >notwithstanding.
    >
    >Not willing to part with that hardware I'm thinking a decent IPS
    >monitor for my win XP PC.
    >
    >Thoughts and options for the monitor.
    >
    >Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
    >Must not have brave new world design.
    >Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution
    >
    >I think the color fidelity requirement rules out all TN panels. No?
    >
    >bonus points if it still can play video without much distortion but is
    >not a hard requirement
    >bonus points if it's tilt adjustable
    >
    >I _AM_ on the budget :^)
    >
    >all opinions are welcome

    Mine is a Benq that cost $1000. Whichever you get
    be sure it has spare USB connections (hubs) in the
    top (for webcams) and at the sides for mouses and
    flash drives.

    Peter Jason, Dec 4, 2012
  5. AD

    Suze Guest

    In article <k9lp3m$2sfi$>,
    Nick Fotis <> wrote:

    > On 04/12/2012 08:29, AD wrote:
    > >
    > > Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
    > > Must not have brave new world design.
    > > Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution

    > I would suggest the Dell UltraSharp 2412M, which is IPS and has 1200
    > pixels vertical resolution (if my memory works well)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > N.F.

    HP makes a nice 24-in IPS 1200x1920 that has a fully adjustable and
    pivot stand
    HP ZR2440w
    runs in the $350-$400 range.
    I have a non-IPS HP version similar to this one and I totally love it.
    --
    Good judgment results from experience, and experience results from bad judgment.

    Suze, Dec 5, 2012
  6. AD

    AD Guest

    On Dec 5, 6:59 am, Suze <> wrote:
    > In article <k9lp3m$>,
    >  Nick Fotis <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 04/12/2012 08:29, AD wrote:

    > > > Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base..
    > > > Must not have brave new world design.
    > > > Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution

    > > I would suggest the Dell UltraSharp 2412M, which is IPS and has 1200
    > > pixels vertical resolution (if my memory works well)

    > > Cheers,
    > > N.F.

    > HP makes a nice 24-in IPS 1200x1920 that has a fully adjustable and
    > pivot stand
    > HP ZR2440w
    > runs in the $350-$400 range.

    where I live it seems more than $450
    me thinks i'll have someone lug one from the states

    > Good judgment results from experience, and experience results from bad judgment.

    which is why I'll probably avoid buying dell at all costs given that
    quality controls are lax
    and brightness is inline with sugar amount in american yogurts

    AD, Dec 5, 2012
  7. AD

    AD Guest

    On Dec 4, 4:26 pm, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 22:29:08 -0800 (PST), AD <> wrote:
    > >Wife wants my mbp13" for photo edits, low res (768 by 13xx)
    > >notwithstanding.

    > >Not willing to part with that hardware I'm thinking a decent IPS
    > >monitor for my win XP PC.

    > >Thoughts and options for the monitor.

    > >Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
    > >Must not have brave new world design.
    > >Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution

    > >I think the color fidelity requirement rules out all TN panels. No?

    > >bonus points if it still can play video without much distortion but is
    > >not a hard requirement
    > >bonus points if it's tilt adjustable

    > >I _AM_ on the budget :^)

    > >all opinions are welcome

    > Keep the monitor.  Dump the wife.

    i was pondering that thought actually for quite a while, but she just
    won't leave

    AD, Dec 5, 2012
  8. AD

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 00:35:53 -0800 (PST), AD <> wrote:

    >On Dec 5, 6:59 am, Suze <> wrote:
    >> In article <k9lp3m$>,
    >>  Nick Fotis <> wrote:

    >> > I would suggest the Dell UltraSharp 2412M, which is IPS and has 1200
    >> > pixels vertical resolution (if my memory works well)

    >> > Cheers,
    >> > N.F.

    >> HP makes a nice 24-in IPS 1200x1920 that has a fully adjustable and
    >> pivot stand
    >> HP ZR2440w
    >> runs in the $350-$400 range.

    >where I live it seems more than $450
    >me thinks i'll have someone lug one from the states
    >
    >> Good judgment results from experience, and experience results from bad judgment.

    >which is why I'll probably avoid buying dell at all costs given that
    >quality controls are lax
    >and brightness is inline with sugar amount in american yogurts

    I have a Dell U2410
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?cs=19&c=us&l=en&sku=320-8277
    I check its color calibration at regular intervals using a Spyder3. It
    has always been almost exactly right and has shown negible drift over
    the 2 or so years that I have owned it. You are right: it's standard
    setting is slightly too bright but that is easily fixed through the
    controls.

    I had an earlier model of the same general specification.
    Unfortunately it intermittently developed a set of 1-pixel wide
    vertical lines. I telephoned Dell and within about 20 hours they had
    delivered a brand new replacement monitor (my present monitor).

    I can highly recommend them.
    --

    Regards,

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Dec 5, 2012
  9. AD

    Rob Guest

    On 6/12/2012 8:51 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 00:35:53 -0800 (PST), AD <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Dec 5, 6:59 am, Suze <> wrote:

    >>> HP makes a nice 24-in IPS 1200x1920 that has a fully adjustable and
    >>> pivot stand
    >>> HP ZR2440w
    >>> runs in the $350-$400 range.

    >> where I live it seems more than $450
    >> me thinks i'll have someone lug one from the states
    >>
    >>> Good judgment results from experience, and experience results from bad judgment.

    >> which is why I'll probably avoid buying dell at all costs given that
    >> quality controls are lax
    >> and brightness is inline with sugar amount in american yogurts

    > I have a Dell U2410
    > http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?cs=19&c=us&l=en&sku=320-8277
    > I check its color calibration at regular intervals using a Spyder3. It
    > has always been almost exactly right and has shown negible drift over
    > the 2 or so years that I have owned it. You are right: it's standard
    > setting is slightly too bright but that is easily fixed through the
    > controls.
    >
    > I had an earlier model of the same general specification.
    > Unfortunately it intermittently developed a set of 1-pixel wide
    > vertical lines. I telephoned Dell and within about 20 hours they had
    > delivered a brand new replacement monitor (my present monitor).
    >
    > I can highly recommend them.

    Here I have a Dell ultra sharp 1905 FP 19" which I have had since 2005
    (made week 38/2005) its a nice screen but as you say too bright as a
    standard gamma. I now use this as a spare test monitor when I build or
    repair PC's but it still works just too small.

    The other consumer Dells were not as sharp.

    Rob, Dec 5, 2012
  10. AD

    Ralph D. Guest

    "AD" <> wrote in message
    > Wife wants my mbp13" for photo edits, low res (768 by 13xx)
    > notwithstanding.
    >
    > Not willing to part with that hardware I'm thinking a decent IPS
    > monitor for my win XP PC.
    >
    > Thoughts and options for the monitor.
    >
    > Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
    > Must not have brave new world design.
    > Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution
    >
    > I think the color fidelity requirement rules out all TN panels. No?
    >
    > bonus points if it still can play video without much distortion but is
    > not a hard requirement
    > bonus points if it's tilt adjustable
    >
    > I _AM_ on the budget :^)
    >
    > all opinions are welcome

    I am using an ASUS ProArt 246 for editing and am happy with it's perfomance.
    I bought it at Amazon and when I got it had all sorts of flicker issues that
    their support could not explain and was taking to long to try. I did an
    end-around and contacted Amazon who had a new one on my doorstep in about 17
    hours. The new one still flickered. Turned out this monitor was taking all
    my video card could offer. Took care of that and it has done nothing short
    of wow me.

    http://www.amazon.com/PA246Q-24-Inc...ch+professional+super-ips+full-hd+lcd+monitor

    Ralph D., Dec 8, 2012