Photosmart 7600 on Hub via LPR port

Discussion in 'HP' started by pc macdonald, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. pc macdonald

    pc macdonald Guest

    It looks like HP assumes that everybody who uses their 7600 printer
    will have it hooked directly to the usb.

    I've got one that MUST be located at a print hub because the computer
    that uses it is on a wireless LAN & there's not fixed computer in that
    part of the building. My customer probably bought a printer that was
    waaay too fancy for the job, but that's what he got.

    The HP installation software doesn't seem to put the printer type into
    the ADD PRINTER Wizard available printer list so that I can select it
    after setting up a TCP/IP LPR port for the hub (this after about 20
    minutes of installation humping and grinding.) I worked around the
    issue by telling the ADD PRINTER Wizard that it was a Deskjet 990C.
    Seems to work ok. May or may not be able to align the cartridges...

    Anybody have any idea why they do this crazy stuff?

    Have a better workaround?

    tx

    pc

    pc macdonald, Oct 29, 2003

  2. pc macdonald

    pc macdonald Guest

    Dude! Doesn't anybody have some inputs here? I'm dying!

    pc macdonald, Nov 6, 2003

  3. pc macdonald

    Ben Myers Guest

    Your workaround may be as good as any, given the similarities in low level PCL
    command set among the various DeskJets.

    HP does this because they want you to buy an even more expensive printer to use
    on a network. There have been similar issues sharing parallel port DeskJets on
    a small network for years and years. Similar workarounds, too... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 6, 2003
  4. pc macdonald

    pc macdonald Guest

    Well, that certainly makes sense, although it sucks.

    Thanks for your inputs.

    mac

    pc macdonald, Nov 6, 2003