    of a better solution?

    Thanks

    Dave

    Daibidh, Jul 10, 2006

  2. Daibidh

    Corvus Guest

    Could you tell about missing features compared to the XP drivers? I have
    experience with a DJ510 under win95 and XP; there were only the drivers
    provided with Windows, and the XP ones were finally unbearable(e.g. in
    300dpi mode text was fine, but graphics(even on the same page) were scaled
    down to probably 150dpi, looking like a FAX print.)
    So i tossed the printer for a 3820(dj9xx compatible) mainly for drivers
    <--another candidate for the bin?

    Corvus, Jul 12, 2006

  3. Daibidh

    Daibidh Guest

    Corvis,

    Since The PhotoSmart P1000 is relatively old, I really don't have much hope
    Vista drivers will be developed for it. I do think driver development for
    the "reasonable" lifetime of a product is a HUGE selling point. It's my
    belief that HP lags behind several of its competitors in that regard. I did
    send an email to the HP executive team expressing my views. I recommend
    anyone who has some constructive feedback on anything HP to do the same.

    http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/execteam/email/hurd/index.html

    My experience so far? Well, Windows Vista is still in beta. Remember how
    slow HP was at getting XP drivers? I think they waited until the final code
    was released before they started driver development. I can only assume it
    was cheaper that way but it certainly impacted their consumers having to
    wait weeks and sometimes months. We'll see what they do this time around.
    Vista is apparently similar enough to Windows XP to allow some things.. i.e.
    Logitech Webcams, etc... to use Windows XP drivers right in Vista so maybe
    we'll only have to wait for a slight tweak on HP's end.

    I figured out my complaints were actually things I could adjust on my end.
    The DeskJet 930 series drivers do work nicely with my PhotoSmart. I don't
    notice any degradation in photo print quality, margins and spacing is now
    correct (duh! my bad), I don't have use of the built-in CompactFlash card
    reader but that's OK. It was always painfully slow anyways. No HP
    toolbox.... ink level monitor... just plain Jane printing. I haven't
    noticed other missing features yet, so in the mean time, I'm satisfied.

    Dave

    Daibidh, Jul 12, 2006
  4. Daibidh

    Corvus Guest

    Corvus, Jul 13, 2006
  5. Daibidh

    Corvus Guest

    No ink level monitor? Calibration also missing? And we don´t need to talk
    about printing multiple pages per sheet, print preview etc? They turn the
    printer into a piece of trash!

    Corvus, Jul 13, 2006
  6. Daibidh

    Daibidh Guest

    *laughing*

    Well, my print jobs are pretty straight forward. With exception of the ink
    level monitor, I can reasonably do without but I hear what you are saying.
    I hope HP comes through and provides proper support for their legacy
    printers. Unfortunately, it's been a very long time since HP really shined
    in that area. Still, I'll wait and see. Beta is... well, beta.

    Dave

    Daibidh, Jul 14, 2006