    I tried power, only, but that results in a parasitic flow on data lead(s).

    Thanks,

    (to protect hd as backup)

    Julian, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Julian

    Aaron Guest

    Also disconnect the IDE cable. No cables connected=completely out of service.

    Aaron

    Aaron, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Julian

    Julian Guest

    Thanks, Aaron.

    What I'm trying to do is use a physical switch, such as a toggle
    switch, to incapacitate an ide drive, so it can be temporarily
    isolated from the system without pulling cable or power lead. Just
    don't know which conductors need whacking. Power alone will not do it,
    so I'd like to know the minimum requirement to assure isolation.

    Julian, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Julian

    Jay Chan Guest

    Which leads would need to be physically opened to take an ide drive out of service?
    I used a removable hard disk enclosure to accomplish the same purpose.
    The enclosure for removable hard disk has a lock-and-key that I can
    turn on/off the power of the removable hard disk. I use the removable
    hard disk to protect the full hard disk backup that I made using
    Drive-Image. In theory, I can buy another hard disk as a second
    removable hard disk. Then, I can keep two backups.

    The downsides are:
    - The enclosure costs money.
    - The fan in the enclosure is quite noisy. Luckily, I don't do
    backup that often (may be I should do this more often).

    Jay Chan

    Jay Chan, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Julian

    Julian Guest

    Thanks, Jay.

    Very similar, but I'd rather have drive remain in its cubby, switch it
    in, boot with special volumes config, run backup, switch it out, and
    boot with normal volumes config.

    That's the same as is currently done, except for the disabling switch
    part.

    There's also some concern about signal quality, with one or more of
    the leads considerably longer than the ribbon cable, because of the
    detour through the switching device.

    Julian, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Julian

    Jay Chan Guest

    Very similar, but I'd rather have drive remain in its cubby, switch it
    Honestly, I don't really know what you are trying to accomplish. After
    saying this, if you want the hard disk to be completely isolated from
    anything else. You can use the removable hard disk enclosure that I
    mentioned in my previous message. You can use the key to turn off the
    power of the removable hard disk. If you want it to be completely
    disconnected from anything else in the system, you can remove the hard
    disk physically. Then, the hard disk will not even have a IDE
    connection to the rest of your system. Pull it out slightly will also
    disconnect it from the IDE connection without completely removing the
    hard disk.

    Hope you will find the info that you are looking for.

    Jay Chan

    Jay Chan, Jan 26, 2004