Picking out a mainstream AGP video card HELP

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Joe, May 15, 2005.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I currently am running:

    Abit NF7-S v2.0
    AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    1 gig (2x512) Mushkin 3400 Level II
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (128 meg)

    While it is running pretty much everything I want to run I note that with a
    few of the newer games I am forced to turn the sliders down a bit in order
    to get acceptable frame rates. Time to start thinking about upgrades but
    since the gear I already have is about as good as it gets with 32 bits the
    only path open is the new 64 bit gear but as I look over the 64bit landscape
    everything looks a little TOO new for my taste. Better to wait for the 64bit
    OS another generation or two of chipsets before taking the plunge.

    While I wait I am stuck with what I have, except for that Radeon 9500 Pro.

    I am looking to replace that 9500 with another AGP "mainstream" card costing
    no more than $200. When last I bought a video card ATI was on top with the
    9500 Pro and NVidia was running a pretty poor second with their mainstream
    card. This time around the it seems ATI has stumbled and NVidia is top dog.
    This makes the prime candidate in my price range a GForce 6600 GT with
    little from ATI close enough to even consider.

    Being far from a guru I know better than to buy anything without first
    seeking the opinion of the more knowledgable here in the NG. Any advice
    would be appreciated.

    Joe, May 15, 2005

  2. Joe

    Guest

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:42:26 -0400, "Joe" <>
    wrote:

    >I currently am running:

    >Abit NF7-S v2.0
    >AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    >1 gig (2x512) Mushkin 3400 Level II
    >ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (128 meg)

    >While it is running pretty much everything I want to run I note that with a
    >few of the newer games I am forced to turn the sliders down a bit in order
    >to get acceptable frame rates. Time to start thinking about upgrades but
    >since the gear I already have is about as good as it gets with 32 bits the
    >only path open is the new 64 bit gear but as I look over the 64bit landscape
    >everything looks a little TOO new for my taste. Better to wait for the 64bit
    >OS another generation or two of chipsets before taking the plunge.

    >While I wait I am stuck with what I have, except for that Radeon 9500 Pro.

    >I am looking to replace that 9500 with another AGP "mainstream" card costing
    >no more than $200. When last I bought a video card ATI was on top with the
    >9500 Pro and NVidia was running a pretty poor second with their mainstream
    >card. This time around the it seems ATI has stumbled and NVidia is top dog.
    >This makes the prime candidate in my price range a GForce 6600 GT with
    >little from ATI close enough to even consider.

    >Being far from a guru I know better than to buy anything without first
    >seeking the opinion of the more knowledgable here in the NG. Any advice
    >would be appreciated.

    Try the ati newsgroup for ati feedback
    Read Tom's VGA charts for info :
    http://www17.tomshardware.com/search/search.html?category=all&words=vga+charts

    , May 15, 2005

  3. Joe

    Doug Guest

    Personally for $200 you're going to have a tough time getting any meaningful
    performance increase over and above your
    9500 Pro. I used to have a 9500 Pro and upgraded to a 9800 Pro, my
    benchmarks were at the most 50% faster. You would probably
    have to consider at least doubling your budget to get something that would
    make a noticeable difference. Video cards have gotten f'ing expensive.
    Performance costs...how fast do you want to go?

    --
    Remove nospam to email

    Doug, May 16, 2005
  4. Joe

    Tod Guest

    This link might help with improving the performance of your 9500 PRO
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33681382

    Tod, May 16, 2005
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thanks all for the info.

    Joe, May 17, 2005
  6. Joe

    farmuse Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > Thanks all for the info.

    6800 you can get them on ebay for just about 200, I paid 212 with
    shipping. I didn't get the 6600, only 8 pipes, and the 6600 was
    originally designed for pci-e, and adapted to agp, the 6800 was agp from
    the beginning. If I were to buy ati I would go X800 pro or better, the
    pro has dropped below 300 so that may be a possibility.

    farmuse, May 19, 2005