    Audio within the Program with no luck so far. Have you had this problem???

    eeePC 701 4gb SSD, 2gb Ram, 8gb SDHC, Win XP Home
    "Smaller is Better"

    olfart, Sep 1, 2008

  2. olfart

    BillW50 Guest

    In olfart typed on Mon, 1 Sep 2008 10:42:28 -0400:
    Hi olfart! No I haven't tried that one. Are you doing this on another
    machine? As my old AMD desktops will get the video and audio out of sync
    just playing known good files all of the time. I never tried converting on
    the EEE PC yet. As I have been doing it on my Gateway laptop. I have been
    using that "Extra DVD to FLV Ripper" with great results.

    BillW50, Sep 1, 2008

  3. olfart

    olfart Guest

    I'm using a Dell XPS400, 3gb Intel dual core, 3gbRam. I figured that the
    Extra Video Converter program should do the same conversion as the Extra DVD
    to FLV that you are using with the same results. The program setup screen
    seems simple enough in the default mode....just put in the file and click on
    whatever you want to convert it to...and let it go. Converts about any type
    file to any other type. In addition, however there are a whole bunch of
    manual options that can be entered to modify the output results. I thought
    maybe you had modified your output settings to get the best results. I think
    they have an online forum or helpdesk so when I get some time I'll see if I
    can get some setting info that might improve the audio sync.
    BTW.... don't know what you use to carry your eeePC, but you ought to check
    out the Case Logic. Adjustable Harddrive Case. It's great. Holds the PC
    snugly and it also has room for a case containing accessories such as Ext
    Modem, Ext Card Reader/USB Hub, a couple of Flash Drives and extra SDHC
    Cards, USB Adapters and one of those funky USB LED Lights. It also holds the
    power cable which I have wound on a CORD-IT CORD MANAGER - MEDIUM and a
    Logitec VX Nano mouse. The whole deal is about 11"x8"x5". About $ 20 for
    the case and $ 4 for the cable reel.

    olfart, Sep 1, 2008
  4. olfart

    BillW50 Guest

    In olfart typed on Mon, 1 Sep 2008 13:46:29 -0400:
    Hi olfart! I downloaded Extra Video Converter and I convert one FLV video to
    WMV and it worked fine without any sync problems. I am using the free
    version, so I can't convert a DVD directly.

    Wow that sounds like a very nice case. I'll check it out. I bought one on
    eBay that is small and holds a lot. Although I wish the handle was on the
    other side. Here is what it looks like.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Sling-Case-III-...goryZ177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    It is item 250288762898 if the link doesn't work. This one says for the
    1000, but the one I got said for the 701. Mine said the following:

    You have the ultimate portable PC
    (Asus Eee PC 701 or Eee PC 900)
    Now
    Get the ultimate case for it !
    Now carry even more necessities with you
    Eee Sling Case III Large
    Fits the Eee PC 701 and the Eee PC 900
    This is not an after thought case, this is designed specifically for the Eee
    PC 701.
    Item ships 5 days after receipt of payment

    Features:

    Fits like a glove
    Two compartments
    One for the Eee PC
    One for everything else
    Now you can carry your AC Adapter, portable hard drive, DVD drive and more
    Second compartment has 9 pockets to allow the ultimate in organizing your
    case to fit your needs
    The case has a removable included shoulder strap
    NEW! Built in handle
    There are two rigid plastic sheets, one inserted into the bottom and one
    inserted into the top of the case for added stability
    The case is made of Ballistic Nylon
    Dimensions: 10" x 71/2" x 3"

    Is this what you are talking about?

    Case Logic Adjustable External Hard Drive Case (Black)
    http://www.buy.com/prod/case-logic-adjustable-external-hard-drive-case/q/loc/16234/206231263.html

    BillW50, Sep 2, 2008
  5. olfart

    olfart Guest

    I like the case you got too. This Case Logic holds everything I normally use
    with the 701 and I got it direct from Case Logic for about $20 incl
    shipping. Check out their website as they run specials.
    As far as the conversion...i haven't had time to play around with it...will
    give another shot when I get a chance. You went from .flv to .wmv and I'm
    converting in the other direction...wmv to flv....don't know if that makes a
    difference or not. Right now I keep my movies in wmv format on a 250gb 2,5"
    ext HD which works OK and will hold about 60 or more if I cut the
    commercials with Video ReDo. I also have each of them burned to a DVD for in
    home use and I make a copy of each DVD to take down to the local Retirement
    Home so the folks there have something to watch. I just thought it would be
    handy to fit more than 2 or 3 on an 8gb SDHC card. The 16gb are coming down
    in price so eventually I'l get a couple of those.

    olfart, Sep 2, 2008
  6. olfart

    BillW50 Guest

    In olfart typed on Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:17:31 -0400:
    Hi olfart! I went over to Case Logic website and I am very impressed. And I
    will keep an eye on sales. I will also try to convert wma to flv later on
    today and see how that goes. It sure is nice you make a copy for the
    retirement home. I bet they love that. Yes that is why I bought two 16GB SD
    cards myself. So far I like them very much.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)

    BillW50, Sep 3, 2008
  7. olfart

    olfart Guest

    Did you have any luck converting .wma to .flv. I emailed them about it and I
    got a return email suggesting I try another Program. They even sent the reg
    key for it. Here's what was sent:

    Sept 3 email to EXTRA:
    I tried Apex and it is much worse. First of all it won't convert a .wmv to
    ..flv. When you set it up and click convert it immediately says that the
    conversion is complete and the result is a 0 byte .flv file. I tried to
    convert .wmv to .avi. The video converts but the audio is way out of sync
    from the very beginning.
    Using the Extra Video Converter the audio starts out in sync with the video
    but after about 5 minutes of playing the audio starts falling out of sync
    with the video. This is true of any type of conversion I tried. It looks
    like your program is good for about 5 minutes but no more. I thought it
    would convert video which can run for an hour or more.
    My system certainly has enough resources....3gb dual core intel processor,
    3gb RAM, Windows XP Pro. I have even tried it with my anti-virus scanner
    turned off in case that might be causing a problem.
    I also downloaded the trial copy of your DVD Rip and tried it. Within a few
    minutes the audio was out of sync with the video in the converted file.
    Please advise if there is anything that I might try to get your program to
    work.
    Thank You

    From: <snip>
    Subject: Extra Video Converter....Audio not in Sync
    Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:10:55 -0400

    Trying to convert .wmv files (movies) to .flv to put them on SDHC Cards .
    The video conversion is OK, but the audio gets out of sync with the video as
    the .flv file is played. It starts out in sync, but the longer the movie
    runs the further off the audio is with the video.
    Am running Windows XP Pro, 3GB, 3 GB Ram
    Thanks for any suggestions

    After my Sept 3 email I never heard from them again. This would indicate
    to me that their Program won't convert large files successfully. Part of
    the info included with the APEX program was this statement that...it will
    even convert large files of 2gb or more. However as you can see by my last
    message it wouldn't convert to .flv at all and when converting to .avi the
    audio was out of sync from the beginning. I tried all the types of
    conversions (wma, avi, mov, etc) with the EXTRA program and in every case
    the audio starts falling behind the video after about 5 minutes.
    If you have made a successful large file conversion then there must be
    something screwed up in my system. But right now I'll be damned if I know
    what it could be.

    olfart, Sep 7, 2008
  8. olfart

    olfart Guest

    Also notice that Extra Software uses a Hotmail addy and their grasp of
    English is about as bad as their program. I've since tried to contact them
    several times and get no reply

    olfart, Sep 7, 2008
  9. olfart

    BillW50 Guest

    In olfart typed on Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:46:09 -0400:

    Hi olfart! No I haven't had any problems converting from WMA to FLV at all
    with "Extra DVD to FLV Ripper" or with "Any Video Converter". And yes I can
    convert hours worth without any sync or other problems. Although like you,
    "Apex Video Converter Super" only converted WMA to FLV for 2 seconds and it
    said it was done. And that is all that would play on the converted file too.

    I have owned dozens of computers over the years and I hate to tell ya, but
    some computers are just lousy with multimedia. Meaning the sound and video
    will go out of sync. And some computers are rock solid. Strangely enough,
    all Celerons I ever tried was rock solid. I am not sure why that is. But for
    the past 10 years, I would pick a Celeron processor if I have a choice
    because of this experience. Maybe sometimes slower is better.

    You know, I would try those videos that are out of sync on another computer
    or two. As I have seen this too. As they would play out of sync on a not so
    good media computer and play fine on another computer.

    BillW50, Sep 8, 2008
  10. olfart

    olfart Guest

    Another Update
    I tried a 1 hr conversion on the eeePC with the same results...wma to flv.
    The flv starts out OK but gets further out of sync the longer it plays. And
    that was a 900mhz Celeron. The original wma file plays OK on my XP 400 and
    the eeePC. It's the converted file that gets out of sync. I have also tried
    wma to avi with the same results. I have an older machine running Vista and
    when I get a chance, but I expect the result will be the same. I have XP on
    the XP400 and eeePC. The thing I can't understand is that the original file
    before conversion plays OK. The converted file is out of sync no matter what
    type of file conversion I do. That leads me to believe that the fault lies
    with the program and not the machine. However, you have done successful
    conversions so your comments about difference in computers and processors
    makes sense.
    The fact that the only assistance that EXTRA software would offer me is the
    use of another program (APEX) still leads me to believe that the EXTRA
    program has some problems.

    olfart, Sep 9, 2008
  11. olfart

    BillW50 Guest

    In olfart typed on Tue, 9 Sep 2008 17:00:41 -0400:
    Okay I will try this later on today on one of my EEE PCs. I have three
    of them now and a fourth one in the mail. Although which program do you
    want me to try? Also you want me to go from WMA to FLV right?

    BillW50, Sep 10, 2008
  12. olfart

    olfart Guest

    I'mstill trying to use the EXTRA Video Converter since I have the full paid
    version installed. Also we found that APEX won't do a conversion to .flv.

    olfart, Sep 10, 2008
  13. olfart

    BillW50 Guest

    In olfart typed on Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:39:19 -0400:
    Okay if I have time today, I'll convert an hour or more on one of my EEE PCs
    and see how it goes. ;-)

    BillW50, Sep 10, 2008
  14. olfart

    BillW50 Guest

    In BillW50 typed on Wed, 10 Sep 2008 08:47:15 -0500:
    Problem olfart! I tried to convert many WMV and MPEG files to FLV with
    "Extra Video Converter". No go! Completes instantly without the video.
    Although "Any Video Converter (free version)" is working just fine. No sync
    problems after converting a one hour and 20 minute video. That was on one of
    the Gateways. I'll try it on one of the EEEs today.

    BillW50, Sep 11, 2008
  15. olfart

    olfart Guest

    I'm using the full "paid" version of EXTRA. Maybe since you are using the
    trial version the conversion is crippled somehow although it's supposed to
    convert at least the first 15 minutes or so. I have good video conversion
    for up to 2 hrs...just the audio gets out of whack. And I got the same
    results on my XPS400(Intel dual core) and my eeePC(celeron). I ran the eePC
    at 900mhz....maybe if I cut it back to the default 600mhz it would make a
    difference...but I doubt it. Due to the poor responses I got from EXTRA tech
    support, I don't have much faith in it being as advertised....sorry I paid
    for it now. I will d/l and try "any video converter" and give it a shot
    probably in a day or so when I get some time and let you know how it works
    here.

    olfart, Sep 11, 2008
  16. olfart

    BillW50 Guest

    In olfart typed on Thu, 11 Sep 2008 08:13:28 -0400:
    Well if they are an honest company, they might give you a refund. And if you
    paid less than 2 months ago with a credit card, you can dispute the charge
    and go that route too. Regardless though, you are not alone. I have had my
    share of horror stories with some software companies. DR and GEOS comes to
    mind.

    BillW50, Sep 11, 2008
  17. olfart

    olfart Guest

    OK...found the problem.. I d/l any video converter...converted from wma to
    flv.....same sync problem....however I noticed that the flv stayed in sync
    until the first commercial break....then went out of sync and got worse
    after each commercial.
    So I ran the wma file....(using an old 1 hr Johnnie Cash video with15
    minutes of commercials)....through VideoRedo which chopps out the
    commercials. Then converted that wma to flv and it's now all in sync. The
    transition from program to commercial is somhow breaking the audio stream to
    throw it out of sync.
    When I get a chance I'll run the "no commercial" wma through EXTRA and I
    should get a good result. I was hoping to just convert the whole video to
    flv and just fast forward through the commercials, but I guess I'll have to
    take them out before I convert. Kind of a PIA, but at least it's a solution.

    olfart, Sep 11, 2008
  18. olfart

    BillW50 Guest

    In olfart typed on Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:43:43 -0400:
    Oh wow! That is weird! I don't see that with my KWorld USB Tuner. Although
    what happens with mine during commercials is if the picture has a lot of
    white in it, the picture will freeze while the audio continnues. It will
    unfreeze while the white scene disappears and the video and audio will be in
    sync.

    BillW50, Sep 11, 2008
  19. olfart

    BillW50 Guest

    Hi olfart! Did you ever run Xandros Linux on your EEE yet? I just tried
    it with some FLV music videos that I had converted from DVD. They are
    awful! Sound is okay, but the video runs in slow motion and it instantly
    gets way out of sync. And that video manager can't even see them. I'm
    using an external monitor at 1280x1024 resolution and the media player
    in full screen. If I have it in a little window, it works fine. But boy
    is it small. There are adjustments and I told it to skip frames to keep
    in sync. And the frame rate was about 2FPS in full screen. LOL

    BillW50, Sep 12, 2008
  20. olfart

    olfart Guest

    I took Linux of the eee the minute I got it. I've played around with Linux
    somewhat in the past, but don't have the patience and remaining active
    braincells to master a new O/S. So now I'm a charter member of LinuxSux.
    Sorry I can't help you.
    Conversion from mpeg to flv is working OK now as long as I VideoRedo the
    commercials out first.

    olfart, Sep 12, 2008