Ping BillW50...hardware question OT

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Larry, Jul 20, 2009.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Bill, I noticed your a hardware expert. How much do you know about Xeon
    processors?

    I just got a Dell Poweredge 2600 loaded to the gills from a thrift shop for
    $6. Six 36GB 15000 RPM SCSI drives in hot swap drawers in a RAID array
    with separate cache memory, 6GB PC2100 main RAM, twin 3.2GB Xeon
    processors with huge heat pipe towers cooled with twin fans in a shroud,
    Gigabit Ethernet ports, etc.

    Can you tell me the function of the two ancillary cards, one for each Xeon,
    one with a pretty good heat sink of its own, alongside each Xeon? There
    are other heatsinked cards similar to it in other places, one in the RAID
    area, one in the expansion port area.

    It had Windows Server 2000 installed, but I upgraded that to Ubuntu 9.04 as
    I'm going to use it for a desktop PC with a new video card. I suppose the
    dual 730 watt, hotswap power supplies can handle it...(c;]

    You can tell you have a powerful computer when you turn it on and the
    lights dim in your NEIGHBOR'S house....
    Yes, I've already tripped a 20A breaker cranking it from one outlet....

    You can talk on the phone while it's running if you have a good isolated
    headset....

    Larry, Jul 20, 2009

  2. VRM?? (I suppose that's Voltage Regulation Module, but I didn't read the
    paper through)

    See the Microprcessor Upgrade Guide from (all other manuals for that machine
    is there too)
    http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe2600/en/index.htm

    Thomas Wendell, Jul 20, 2009

  3. Larry

    BillW50 Guest

    Sorry Larry, I can't help you there.

    BillW50, Jul 20, 2009
  4. The auxiliary cards are probably VRM modules (Voltage regulator modules)
    for the CPU. They supply the power required by the CPU. Essentially
    they take 12 volts from the PSU and convert it to the Vcore required by
    the CPU (usually 1 to 2 volts at up to ONE-HUNDRED AMPS).

    Re: lights dimming: Any switching power supply can do that. It is the
    startup inrush current. I have a duracell battery charger (for NiMH AA
    and AAA batteries) that causes my UPS to kick in when I plug it it.
    It's a VERY momentary thing, however. The current is huge, but only for
    milliseconds.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 21, 2009
  5. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Thank you! I've downloaded the entire group of files. Just what I should
    have found, but didn't.

    Larry, Jul 21, 2009
  6. YW

    Thomas Wendell, Jul 22, 2009