Ping Jef (and the NG) : KT7-RAID Rebuild

Discussion in 'Abit' started by D Larsen, Jan 19, 2007.

  1. D Larsen

    D Larsen Guest

    Jef,

    I received my "new" recapped mb from Patty today....thanks again, Patty
    <g> !

    Haven't done anything with it except eyeball it, but a couple of
    observations and questions for you and/or the NG...

    The new mb appears to be a v1.02 board, vs. my 1.01 flaky
    board...anybody have a clue as to what changed ? The only thing I see
    is the RAID connectors are a different color <g> ! Just curious....

    The old, flaky board has JPCON caps....the new recapped board has TEAPO
    caps....I think I remember reading somewhere that the JPCONs were
    crap.....

    The recapped board was sent back without the Northbridge cooling
    fan....the one on the old mb works....should I just transfer it over, or
    is it not even needed ?

    I've seen references to the mysterious JP1 <g>...no idea what it does
    (not in the Manual), but it's set different on the recapped board....a
    50-50 crap shoot....should I change it to match my existing board, or
    just leave it alone ?

    Suggestions/comments welcome !

    Now....where did I put those BIOS Saviour directions.....

    Dean....

    D Larsen, Jan 19, 2007

  2. D Larsen wrote:

    | Jef,
    |
    | I received my "new" recapped mb from Patty today....thanks again,
    | Patty <g> !

    Dean -

    Once again: papal blessings, major fame and excellent karma are hereby
    bestowed on Patty for helping you out!

    | Haven't done anything with it except eyeball it, but a couple of
    | observations and questions for you and/or the NG...
    |
    | The new mb appears to be a v1.02 board, vs. my 1.01 flaky
    | board...anybody have a clue as to what changed ? The only thing
    | I see is the RAID connectors are a different color <g> ! Just
    | curious....
    | were crap.....

    That's precisely my dad's observation regarding the "re-cap job" he received
    back from Abit.

    | The recapped board was sent back without the Northbridge cooling
    | fan....the one on the old mb works....should I just transfer it over, or
    | is it not even needed ?

    You want the NB fan installed on the board. Abit's fans are notoriously
    cheap and prone to failure .. so swap away and, if (or when) the fan fails,
    replace it with an aftermarket fan.

    | I've seen references to the mysterious JP1 <g>...no idea what it
    | does (not in the Manual), but it's set different on the recapped board....
    | a 50-50 crap shoot....should I change it to match my existing board,
    | or just leave it alone ?

    I seem to recall that this undocumented jumper had to do with the legacy use
    of IRQ12, depending on how it's set. My memory may be totally in left
    field, but I've read elsewhere that position 1-2 shorted on this jumper
    assigns the legacy IRQ12 to the PS/2 ports and position 2-3 shorted assigns
    IRQ12 to the ISA slot. Since IRQ sharing is not implemented for any of the
    legacy devices, probably best to set this on pins 1-2. The jumper probably
    addressed some obscure need for certain ISA cards that required use of
    IRQ12.

    As stated, I'm not certain on this one .. totally from fuzzy memory and the
    Way-Back Machine® is on the fritz after Mr. Peabody and Sherman got eaten by
    cannibals on their final mis-adventure.

    Can't find them: have a look at http://www.ioss.com.tw.

    | Dean....

    Good luck with the rebuild Dean! Hopefully you'll be up and running in no
    time on Patty's re-capped board.

    Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you. My head-cold has forced a
    bit more bed-rest than usual.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Jan 19, 2007

  3. Bird Janitor® wrote:

    |D Larsen wrote:

    Something strange happened on the way to cyberspace. What I wrote seems to
    have gotten jumbled...

    Maybe the head-cold is more in control than thought.

    You wrote:

    || The new mb appears to be a v1.02 board, vs. my 1.01 flaky
    || board...anybody have a clue as to what changed ?

    My response disappeared somehow...

    | There was obviously a minor design revision from 1.01 to 1.02.
    | Abit doesn't tend to post this stuff. Major design revisions, like
    | KT7A revision 1.0 - 1.2 versus revision 1.3, which is well
    | documented.

    || The only thing I see is the RAID connectors are a different color <g>

    Again .. my response disappeared.

    I droned on about the Feng Shui of the board focused better energy on your
    overclocking by the use of different colored bits of plastic.

    Next is were things went completely bonkers.

    You wrote:

    || The old, flaky board has JPCON caps....the new recapped board has
    || TEAPO caps....I think I remember reading somewhere that the JPCONs
    || were crap.....

    | That's precisely my dad's observation regarding the "re-cap job" he
    | received back from Abit.

    This is where my responses fall back into line... it's as if a whole screen
    load got flushed down the crapper...

    Everything else looks okie-dokie (unless I screw this post up .. in which
    case: I give up).

    I'm going back to bed.

    ;-}

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Jan 19, 2007
  4. D Larsen

    Dylan C Guest

    I ran mine for years with no fan after the OEM one failed. Since you
    have one, I'd do the swap, but if it fails I would just pull it. If
    that worries you, a larger passive heatsink should be available on ebay
    for roughly the same price as replacement.

    -Dylan C

    Dylan C, Jan 19, 2007
  5. D Larsen

    D Larsen Guest

    Dylan,

    Thanks for the feedback ! I remember some discussions on whether or not
    the NB cooler was even necessary, but I figure Abit put it there for a
    reason <g> !

    I made the swap with the old fan....maybe while I have everything torn
    down I'll do the "Peel label-dab of oil" trick and see if that prolongs
    the fan's life....it IS making some pretty funky noises <g>

    Dean....

    D Larsen, Jan 21, 2007
  6. D Larsen

    D Larsen Guest

    Long Post :

    Jef,

    Aaahhhhh....the computer gods are having fun with me again....I guess I
    didn't make the appropriate sacrifice before embarking on this
    "project"....

    Spent some time this weekend with the swap....

    - BIOS Saviour (BS) moved quite easily (except for a couple of bent
    pins..."operator error")...Patty's mb had the A9 with HPT 1.11.0402,
    which I think is the last "official" version.

    - My BS had your A9 mod with the HPT 2.351 (Original is Abit 64 with
    HPT 2.0.1203)

    - Swapped the Duron CPU, the PC133 memory, and the NB fan

    - Checked the mb battery....pretty much dead...so I swapped that from
    the old board, too (recently replaced, so it was a good solid 3 v)

    - Decided to do a bench "boot" before I put everything back together,
    because the cheapie ATX case I'm using doesn't have a removable mb
    mounting plate...once you get it in, it's a pain to do anything on the
    mb <g>

    - Cleared the CMOS; minimal boot with nothing but keyboard, floppy
    drive, and Matrox G200 video card...SUCCESS ! Fiddled with it that way
    (setting BIOS, etc) Life is good....

    - Hooked up original 80 gig hard disk to HPT controller (ATA
    100)....CRAPOLA ! The exact same thing that happened that started me
    down this path...fans, etc come on for ~ 1 sec, and then system shuts
    down !

    - Much cursing, throwing things, and general foul behavior....tried
    various drive positions, and various old drives (boots fine with an old
    Connor 420 meg HD, regardless of IDE channel !)

    - Decided it must be the power supply.....got ripped off by Best Buy
    for a cheesy new unit (but hey, I was looking for instant gratification,
    and was not willing to wait a week for a decent mail order one from
    Newegg....)

    - New PS....boots like a charm !

    - Hooking the old PS back up and monitoring the power connectors while
    booting, I saw an initial reading of ~1/2 of the expected volts on both
    the 5v and 12v sides, which quickly dropped to zero and shut down

    Guess my problem, all along, was not the caps on the old mb (although
    I'm sure they would've become an issue soon !) but my power supply....go
    figure !

    Thanks for your technical help on this one....see seperate post for
    kudos on 1 additional issue <g> !

    Dean....

    D Larsen, Jan 21, 2007
  7. D Larsen

    D Larsen Guest

    Jef,

    I don't mean to be rude (well....yes I do....), but frankly, I'm GLAD I
    didn't have to wade through some narcotic-induced dissertation on Feng
    Shui, and colored bits of plastic, to explain the mb version differences
    <VBG>

    I DO, however, want to recognize your superior power of "recall"....your
    memory about the JP1 setting seems to be right on the money....When I
    finally did get the KT7 working, it was booting with JP1 set different
    than my old mb setting....and Windows would NOT recognize the PS/2 mouse
    attached ! After seeing your note, I thought....well, maybe that's the
    answer to my issue....the PS/2 mouse port doesn't have an IRQ assigned
    and thus is not recognizing the existing hardware....once I switched the
    JP1 pins, everything's back to normal....good call !

    I guess I should trust the memory of a guy who remembers Bullwinkle,
    Sherman and the Way-Back Machine....I learned more history there than
    from any schooling I had <g> ! I also like the Fractured Fairy Tales
    <g> !

    Hope you recover soon, and feel better quickly ! ....and thanks again !

    Dean....

    D Larsen, Jan 21, 2007
  8. D Larsen wrote:

    | Jef,
    |
    | I don't mean to be rude (well....yes I do....), but frankly, I'm
    | GLAD I didn't have to wade through some narcotic-induced
    | dissertation on Feng Shui, and colored bits of plastic, to
    | explain the mb version differences <VBG>

    Dean -

    I could drone on about other things, if you like! ;-}

    I think my brain is nearly full from a lifetime acquiring things I'd never
    need to know or use again (but otherwise recall with at least some clarity).

    | I DO, however, want to recognize your superior power of "recall"....
    | your memory about the JP1 setting seems to be right on the money....
    | When I finally did get the KT7 working, it was booting with JP1 set
    | different than my old mb setting....and Windows would NOT recognize
    | the PS/2 mouse attached ! After seeing your note, I thought....well,
    | maybe that's the answer to my issue....the PS/2 mouse port doesn't
    | have an IRQ assigned and thus is not recognizing the existing hard-
    | ware....once I switched the JP1 pins, everything's back to normal....
    | good call !

    Coolness! Once again the grey matter (or is it rotted matter) between my
    ears has served some useful purpose. I can, once again, resume a happy life
    knowing that I know at least one helpful thing.

    | I guess I should trust the memory of a guy who remembers Bull-
    | winkle, Sherman and the Way-Back Machine....I learned more
    | history there than from any schooling I had <g> ! I also like the
    | Fractured Fairy Tales <g> !

    I believe The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle are now available on DVD if
    you're inclined to take in some wholesome reeducation.

    | Hope you recover soon, and feel better quickly ! ....and thanks
    | again !
    |
    | Dean....

    Happy to help. But, alas, I'm still not on the mend. In fact, the cold
    this morning was it's worst yet. My neighbor, who is head of anestheology
    at a hospital here in L.A. told me to get a pediatric syringe (the kind they
    use to put liquid medicine into baby) and mix up a solution of warm water, a
    teaspoon of salt and a half teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate. Fill the
    syringe and whork it up one nostril, evacuating through the mouth. Repeat
    the whole salty grossness on the other nostril.

    I've been draining all kinds of crud from my sinuses ever since. For the
    first time in days I can actually breathe comfortably.

    I might live to foul the newsgroup another day more...

    Now, as to your PSU being at issue: Yep... Best Buy isn't always known for
    Best Quality when it comes to components. But, bear in mind that your
    original board was probably soon to experience the Bad Cap phenomenon...
    it's not a matter of 'if' .. but, rather, a matter of 'when'...

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Jan 21, 2007
  9. D Larsen

    D Larsen Guest

    Jef,

    RE: "droning on".....no thanks....save your strength <g> ! And
    remember.....my therapist said "DO NOT click on any link from this "Jef"
    guy" !!

    I hope your rotted grey matter doesn't get "expectorated" by your
    treatment....your old grey matter helped me !....but I'm glad to hear
    the treatment is helping you feel better <g> !

    I'll have to check out the DVD of the Bullwinkle series.....the humor
    was WAY "ahead of its time" !

    Ya, I know the caps issue would've bitten me sooner or later.....(but I
    have that solved now !)....and that the crappy Dynex 350 watt PS from
    Best Buy is a gross rip-off at $51...but I'm back on-line....I'm happy
    <g>

    Dean....

    D Larsen, Jan 21, 2007