    play Q3 Arena online)
    PPS: I don't believe I will be able to use any of the components in my old
    system, except the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

    Buffalo, Oct 30, 2012

  2. Buffalo

    Paul Guest

    i5-3570K 4Core 4Thread 6MB L3, 3.4GHz $230
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

    i7-3770K 4Core 8Thread 8MB L3, 3.5GHz $320
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

    The difference there, is one has Hyperthreading turned on,
    the other has it turned off. Price diff is $90.

    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

    Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz 7,128
    Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz 9,641

    Double the execution threads, gives 1.35x in that benchmark. In
    the first generation when Hyperthreading came out, it was good
    for about 1.05x on average.

    *******

    There are a ton of LGA1155 motherboards out there. Just get one
    with the peripheral chips on it you really want. (Gigabit NIC
    for sure, USB3 is good to have for the future, ESATA if you
    had a lot of ESATA external drives, Firewire if you had some
    kind of camcorder and needed video transfers, and so on.) There
    are some features that only seem to be of interest to the
    manufacturer, as they never seem to come up in conversation.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

    *******

    Q3 Arena shouldn't need much of a graphics card. Some of the Intel
    processors have built-in graphics. You can use ark.intel.com
    to check for that.

    http://ark.intel.com/products/65520/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

    "HD4000 graphics".

    If the motherboard has the graphics connectors on the back,
    and you're not ready to purchase a video card yet, you
    can test and bring up the system using the processor
    built-in graphics.

    *******

    The OS choice, depends on your taste in memory. If you're the
    kind of person who buys a 4x4GB kit for your new computer,
    then a 64 bit OS will make best usage of the 16GB total memory.
    If you buy a 2x2GB kit of memory, then a 32 bit OS will be
    a good fit for that.

    W7 x64 does not support 16-bit stuff, like some older installers.
    Whereas, the x32 version, does support x16 installers and more of
    your older programs.

    I haven't looked lately, but in the past Microsoft had compatibility checkers
    or web pages with lists of known-to-work products. You could try that
    route. It'll be a bit harder to find some of that stuff, because
    Microsoft generally pitches everything when they move to their new OS.
    Sometimes, I have to use www.archive.org to find older reference
    material.

    Some Adobe products now, are 64 bit only. If you have gazillions of dollars
    to spend on things like Photoshop or the Adobe movie editor, then you
    should give more serious consideration to the 64 bit OS.

    A 4GB address space used on the 32 bit OS, will be a bit restrictive for
    gaming. Especially if you buy a video card which has a lot of
    onboard memory. This might be an issue for something like Microsoft
    Flight Simulator, or some other program which is resource intensive
    just so it can be resource intensive.

    But if Q3 Arena was your only objective, then the 32 bit OS should
    handle it.

    I have W7 x64 on my laptop, and so far that hasn't provided me
    any additional functionality. So in terms of "happy surprises", I
    can't say it's done anything for me. But, I don't use older
    programs with 16 bit installers on there, and I also don't
    have a gazillion dollars for Adobe products. So I hardly qualify
    as a "discerning user" :) YMMV.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 30, 2012

  3. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    The only reason I mentioned Q3Arena was that I was wondering if it would
    work on Win7 64 bit, or would you have to have a second OS?
    No, I'm not into Adobe either.
    I want to try to build a PC that will still work with most of the newer
    games for a few years anyways. My last build was (is) my ECS K7s5a rev 3.1
    with a Honey X bios, a 7600gt AGP 256MB DDR3 vid card, single 7200rpm 120GB
    HDD, cheap sound card, DVD RW, 1GB Ram, and an Athlon XP mobile 2500 (266MHz
    bus) cpu running at 2 GHz.
    I have a 27" LED monitor and a wired kb and mouse (MX510) running
    Win2000ProSP4 as an OS.
    I doubt if I could use any parts off my system except for the monitor and
    the mouse.
    Yep, I do plan on putting in a video card.
    Thanks for your input.
    Buffalo
    PS: My first build was an Asus P2b and a 300MHz celeron cpu (oc'd to 450)
    and a Riva TNT vid card, I believe, and I had Win95c and 128MB of ram.

    Buffalo, Oct 31, 2012
  4. Buffalo

    Paul Guest

    32 bit code does work on 64 bit systems. But sometimes the problem is,
    the program itself is 32 bit, while the *installer* program is 16 bit.
    So you get stuck while trying to install the program, rather than
    the program itself failing to run.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

    "All editions support 32-bit IA-32 CPUs and all editions except
    Starter support 64-bit x64 CPUs. (64-bit installation media is not
    included in Home Basic edition packages, but can be obtained
    separately from Microsoft)."

    There are very few pictures I could find, of the "box contents"
    of a Windows 7 software purchase. A couple show two DVDs, one
    perhaps labeled 32 bit, the other labeled 64 bit. But the
    pictures were blurred on purpose, and aren't worth the time of
    day. And it's pretty hard to verify which version really
    does come with two DVDs versus just the one DVD. If you had
    both DVDs, you could change the installation on the day that
    you needed to.

    http://solutions-24.com/media/images/popup/298.jpg

    I suspect the OEM versions might include only one of the
    DVDs, like just the 64 bit one. But with so little information
    to go on, I can't prove that to you.

    *******

    The motherboard graphics, give you an option to use, before
    you get a video card. They might even be fast enough for Q3 Arena,
    because that game happens to be very light on resources.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 31, 2012
  5. Buffalo

    geoff Guest