PING: Richard Hopkins et. al., Re: Enabling ICH5R SATA RAID on IC7-G

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Kurt, Apr 18, 2004.

  1. Kurt

    Kurt Guest

    I started a thread about 10 days ago, regarding changing the Intel SATA 1 & 2
    controller to RAID mode AFTER installing W2K with the controller in normal mode.

    Richard's suggestion of booting from SATA 3 with the SATA 1&2 ctrlr set to RAID
    mode (no drives attached), then allowing W2K to install the drivers when it
    detected the new hardware, then moving the boot drive back to SATA 1 was the
    ticket. It went perfectly smoothly and the Intel ctrlr is now functioning as
    expected in RAID mode (although I have not yet implemented a RAID array on it -
    that project is a couple of weeks away).

    Thanks, Richard, for the pointer to that procedure. ;o)

    With the Intel controller set to RAID mode in the BIOS, and only a single drive
    atttached, you do see the Intel RAID ROM notice in the 2nd POST screen but there
    is no Ctrl-I prompt unless there are 2 drives attached to the controller. This
    is understandable since there's no need to diddle with the RAID array if there's
    no hardware present to support it.

    Kurt

    Kurt, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Kurt

    TomG Guest

    bear in mind that the Intel Application Accelerator Raid version has a tool
    to convert a non-raid configuration to raid configuration with data on the
    drive(s). I have not tested it but I have read up on it so you may want to
    check into that... Intel describes the functionality in their docs for the
    IAA-R.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Kurt

    Als Guest

    Anyone know the benefit of setting it up in this configuration?

    Als, Apr 19, 2004
  4. Hey Kurt, glad to hear that the procedure went according to plan!

    As Tom says, the Intel controller's software suite apparently includes a
    migration tool that allows you to convert one populated drive and one blank
    one into a RAID array, although I haven't tried it!

    Let us know what happens if/when you do though, as, if nothing else, we'll
    be able to recommend it. Make sure you back the data up before you run the
    wizard tho, I wouldn't like to have to cope with the consequences of the
    original drive's contents being lost!
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom