Pins in LGA 1366 Socket

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Tom Lake, Jun 20, 2010.

  1. Tom Lake

    Tom Lake Guest

    Last night I replaced the Core i7 920 in my XPS 9000 with an X980.
    After removing the old chip I looked at the socket. It has a band across
    the middle with no pins. (Somehting like below) All the photos I've
    seen of the 1366 socket show an entire square array of pins. The new
    processor seems to be working just fine and all 12 cores (6 physical
    and 6 hyperthreaded) show up and respond to Sandra's tests. Has
    anyone here seen anything like this before? I know I shouldn't worry
    so much if the processor tests OK, but I'd like to know if there are any
    potential problems that might show up in the future.

    Thanks for any insight into this.

    Tom Lake

    o=pin, x=no pin

    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooo oooooooooo
    ooooooooo oooooooooo
    xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Tom Lake, Jun 20, 2010

  2. Tom Lake

    Pen Guest

    Intel's socket details found here. See page 13.
    http://download.intel.com/design/processor/designex/320837.pdf

    Pen, Jun 20, 2010

  3. Tom Lake

    Tony Harding Guest

    Makes me curious about my XPS 9000, but not enough to pull the i7-975 EE
    chip it shipped with.

    TonyH :)

    Tony Harding, Jun 25, 2010