    is out and the GFX card is the best available for this laptop chassis.

    Cheers for any help!
    squelch41

    squelch41, Aug 11, 2006

  2. squelch41

    Peter Guest

    what game were you trying? some have revert to dx8 buttons but I think most
    mainstream games are all 6--- minimum gpu some have software render buttons
    that might work crappy on your laptop.Old games no problem like half life1
    or quake. Glk

    Peter, Aug 12, 2006

  3. squelch41

    squelch41 Guest

    I am trying to run the demo of sensible soccer 2006.

    HL1, HL2, GTA SA etc work fine on my laptop - it is just the lack of
    the damn pixel and vertex shaders in the GF4Go that is stopping me!

    Cheers
    squelch41

    squelch41, Aug 12, 2006
  4. squelch41

    First of One Guest

    DX8 vertex shaders can be emulated. The existing nVidia drivers should do it
    already - the fact HL2 runs is indicative of that.

    As far as I know, pixel shaders cannot be emulated without incurring massive
    penalties in performance or quality.

    Upgradability has historically been a weak point for laptops (and to a
    lesser extent, SFF chassis). Just something you'll have to live with.

    First of One, Aug 12, 2006
  5. HL2 has a DX7 mode. If the OP has a GF4 MX Go, the pixel shaders are
    definitely not being emulated. There is an option in the drivers ( via a
    tool available in the nVidia developer SDK called nvemulate ) to enable
    emulation of all pixel shaders, all the way up to DX 9.0c. The problem is
    that the game will run in slow motion.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Aug 12, 2006
  6. squelch41

    squelch41 Guest

    Does it use hardware where present and then software to emulate
    features that are missing or is the whole GPU emulated with no hardware
    functions utilized?

    Cheers
    squelch41

    squelch41, Aug 12, 2006
  7. squelch41

    squelch41 Guest

    Found NVemulate on the nvidia website. However, it only seems to do
    OpenGL. Is there a DirectX version?

    squelch41

    squelch41, Aug 12, 2006
  8. squelch41

    First of One Guest

    There is a DX7 mode in HL2?!? The amount of work to write for both
    fixed-function geometry (DX7) and all-vertex shader DX8/9 codepaths should
    be quite daunting.

    The GF4Go should be able to complete 3DMark 2001 except for the last pixel
    shader test. I believe vertex shader emulation was a requirement for running
    the app at all.

    First of One, Aug 13, 2006