    and copy everything to them and get rid of the WDC drive? My current system
    is an Asus P4PE w/2.4ghz P4 and 1 gb ram. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Tom

    TOMR2C, Sep 12, 2006

  2. TOMR2C

    TOMR2C Guest

    I just realized that the P5B does not have an IDE connection. What board is
    recommended to work with the E6600 and do what I want?

    TOMR2C, Sep 12, 2006

  3. 1. I bought Corsair TWIN2X1024A-6400 1GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400. Works
    well. This is a 1GB kit (2x512), but they offer a 2GB kit also
    (TWIN2X2048A-6500). There is faster memory (will cost more) if you
    think you need it.

    2. You can use the drive, but the installed system won't work. Your
    choice are to reinstall Windows if you want to boot from it, otherwise
    if you have another boot drive, you can access the files on the drive
    and use it for storage, but not as a boot drive without reinstallation
    (you might get by with a repair install, which would leave all of your
    installed software and data intact). Don't forget about the Windows
    Product activation issues.

    3. Yes, you could do that after you resolve how you are going to use
    your existing drive and how you are going to boot.

    See my recent threads on alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

    Barry Watzman, Sep 12, 2006
  4. Incorrect; the P5B has a JMicron chip that has an IDE port.

    Before I bought the Gigabyte board, my "short list" was

    -Asus P5B
    -Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
    -MSI P965 Neo-F

    All 3 of these boards are substantially identical in terms of their
    architecture: 965 chipset, ICH8 I/O supplemented by a JMicron
    comination SATA and IDE controller.

    See the discussions over the past two weeks on
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

    Barry Watzman, Sep 12, 2006
  5. Typo ... 6500 in the 3rd line should be 6400.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 12, 2006
  6. TOMR2C

    Rob Guest

    Just got done building a system with the E6600 and the Asus P5W DH Deluxe. The mobo is kind of hard to find right now as everyone
    wants it. It is an "enthusiast's board" meaning it was built for overclocking and hot rodding. Within minutes of getting it turned
    on, I had my 2.4 E6600 running smooth as silk at a little over 3 GHz without a hiccup.

    You don't even have to know what you're doing... you can simply use the Asus util for overclocking that comes with it. It have SATA
    and IDE, plus three different systems that can do RAID which is how I set it up.

    I used Corsair for the memory, 2 gigs, since WinXP 32 only likes 3 or less. Perhaps I'll add more when I go Vista (after they have
    it well tested). The mobo supports up to 8 gigs.

    By the way, this board also has 2 gig LAN plus 54 G wireless, so you can go wired (fast) or wireless, or both. It also sports an 8
    channel HD Audio chip as well. You get a remote that lets you control functions from across the room if you want to do that.

    Very cool, the only board like it. Runs a bit hot, so get good cooling. The system I replaced was also a P4Pe which I've loved. This
    is a LOT faster!

    Rob, Sep 13, 2006