    "ok" to run on the main machine, but just keep the main machine always on.

    (?)

    I'm betting that security is likely the biggest issue here, but am not sure.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Nov 23, 2005

  2. Thomas G. Marshall

    Jay B Guest

    you got a number of hurdles to deal with.
    security is the big one.
    even bigger is that most home ISP's block port 80 (http) going to their
    homes. couple that with synamic ip addresses and you got a nightmare.
    a work around that i implementesd there was to use a dynanmic to static
    name provider, and use a port other than 80, with cloaking.
    running a web server has a ton of security issues, if you dont mind a
    bunch of packets trying to bang away at your door trying to break in.
    are you ready to trust you main computer to all that??
    what is your main purpose for doing this?
    web hosting is free these days so i wouldnt host unless you have a good
    reason to.

    Jay B, Nov 23, 2005

  3. Thomas G. Marshall

    Ben Myers Guest

    I would only consider running the XPS 300 as a server if it ran some variation
    of Linux. Windows NT server is obsolete, and any later Microsoft server product
    will run like a slug... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 23, 2005
  4. Thomas G. Marshall

    BigJIm Guest

    if you want a game sever go to a sever site and buy the disk space.
    you can still be the administrator and throw people of at will.

    BigJIm, Nov 23, 2005
  5. Jay B said something like:
    Yes, I'm aware of the port blockage. I'm investigating noip.com or
    zoneedit.com's ability to do dyn-dns with port forwarding. So I'm still in
    the learning stage.

    Do you have a good website showing tutorials for this kind of thing? I've
    some tcp/udp programming under my belt, so I'm not entirely a newbie at
    this. But new enough....

    ....[rip]...

    Thomas G. Marshall, Nov 23, 2005
  6. I second this. You can configure Linux to run well on such old
    machines. Several years ago I ran a dedicated Quake 3 server on an old
    Optiplex GXPro box (PPro 200) with 64 MB of RAM. It ran very well and
    was totally stable.

    You can actually still do quite a lot with an old machine running as a
    Linux server. There's a lot of free, open-source server software out
    there to play with.

    Eddie Aftandilian, Nov 25, 2005
  7. Eddie Aftandilian said something like:
    I've heard this from many people. I'm interested in linux---it'll bring me
    back to my old unix roots.

    The game companies were quick to recognize the need for unix server-only
    drivers. For example, Unreal Tournament (1999 release) had one very early
    on.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Nov 26, 2005
  8. Thomas G. Marshall said something like:
    Rephrase: Linux server-only applications. This is particularly bad phrasing
    since I know how to write a unix device driver. lol.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Nov 26, 2005