Planning on SLI? Read this.

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Peasant, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. Peasant

    Peasant Guest

  2. Peasant

    Scotter Guest

    ooh great article! Thanks!

    --
    Scotter
    Tyan Thunder K8WE

    Scotter, Mar 3, 2006

  3. Peasant

    Ed Forsythe Guest

    Another + for PC Power & Cooling. Many of these so called *certified* PSs
    are not tested. The certification simply means that the PS specs meet the
    requirements. PS specifications are meaningless because they are usually
    grossly exaggerated. AFAIK, PC Power & Cooling is the only manufacturer that
    Guarantees that their specs will stand up under the most aggressive tests.
    The CPU is the brain but the PS is the heart. Many of us will spare no
    expense building a high end box then we scrimp on the PS?? One thing's for
    sure, if a PCP&C fails (anything will fail no regardless of the quality) it
    won't take the computer with it. Maximum PC *always* uses PCP&C in their
    Dream Machines. BTW P, My PCP&C 510 Deluxe provides 34/38A on the 12V rail
    as does the 510 Express SLI and that is *guaranteed*. Thanks for the heads
    up on the SLI requirements. Are you listening McG?? ;-)

    Ed Forsythe, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Peasant

    Leadfoot Guest

    When you overclock you really start taxing the PSU. I went from a Enermax
    RG-565P-VE 535W SLI PSU to a Silvertone ST60F because I couldn't overclock a
    7800 GT AND a 3800X2. Could do one or the other. I have a lot of stuff on
    my rig.

    Leadfoot, Mar 3, 2006
  5. Peasant

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Mar 3, 2006
  6. Peasant

    John Lewis Guest

    Tell us about the 'lot of stuff'...

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Mar 4, 2006
  7. Peasant

    Peasant Guest

    My Seasonic S12-600 passed all tests too. Thing with PC Power and
    Cooling is that I hear they are a bit on the noisy side. The Seasonic's
    S12 series a very quiet. I can't by PC P&C in Canada anyway.

    Peasant, Mar 4, 2006
  8. Peasant

    Peasant Guest

    Yea, they are good to go. Another thing this article was pointing out
    that if SLI doesn't work on your PSU then it may be just a case of
    balancing the load on the PSU more evenly to get it working.

    Peasant, Mar 4, 2006
  9. Peasant

    Ed Light Guest

    Really quiet ones have a disadvantage in that they tend to let alot of heat
    collect at the top of the pc in some systems.

    I have a Coolmax which I could set to slow, auto, or fast. Auto was too slow
    and fast was loud.

    I put in a Yate Loon 120mm fan from Cooler Guys which is almost the same fan
    that early or lower wattage Seasonic S12's have or had. I'm running it
    full-speed at 1250 rpm. It is very quiet and moves enough air.

    I had a little 300w Antec that was quiet but hot and I put a Vantec Stealth
    in there.

    Of course the wire from the new fan has to come out of the psu to be plugged
    in unless you know how to find a non-temperature-controlled source in the
    psu, or if you want to monitor the rpm.

    Also, they say that the capacitors in the psu can hold enough juice to kill
    you. Others say not. I just stay away from them quite carefully.
    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Fight Spam:
    http://bluesecurity.com

    Ed Light, Mar 4, 2006
  10. Peasant

    Peasant Guest

    Yea, I can agree with that. The Seasonic will speed up if it gets hot as
    it is a thermistor controlled fan. I've never seen mine go above 750-780
    rpm. Temps are all showing as pretty good. My case has intake 120mm fan
    and outtake 120mm fan - Antec Super Lanboy.

    I don't plan on working inside a PSU even if it has been off for 24hrs.
    I once worked inside a 27" CRT TV while it was on. I was lucky I didn't
    kill myself as I knew nothing about TV's at the time. I did learn how to
    align RGB by eyesight during that experiment though. :)

    Peasant, Mar 4, 2006
  11. Peasant

    Ed Light Guest

    That must stay very cool. My case just has one 80mm case fan, and it's
    ducted to the cpu heatsink (with aluminum tape), which has no fan (I took it
    off). The great thing is that it keeps the cpu very cool and the cpu heat
    goes right out without circulating (except for radiant heat). However the
    psu must move some decent amount of air out.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Fight Spam:
    http://bluesecurity.com

    Ed Light, Mar 4, 2006
  12. Peasant

    Ed Light Guest

    I forgot to mention the slow 80mm in from the front bottom a little bit
    blowing on the cards.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org

    Fight Spam:
    http://bluesecurity.com

    Ed Light, Mar 4, 2006
  13. Peasant

    Leadfoot Guest

    Mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
    CPU: 3800 X2 Manchester ldbhe 0541, 2750 mhz stable
    CPU Heatsink :XP-120 120MMX38MM Sunon 84CFM
    NB heatsink: Coolermaster PRC-P01 w/40mm fan mod
    RAM: Corsair Valueselect 2X1GB PC3200
    GFX: BFG 7800 GT OC
    PSU: Silverstone Strider ST60F
    Case:Silvertone TJ-06 | Nexus fan controller
    Tempeature: Idle/Load: CPU(30/55) Chipset(30/37)
    Drives 1.5 TB | 4X Maxtor 3000GB SATA Diamondmax 10| BenQ DW1620 DVD-RW |
    MSI DVD-ROM
    Sound: Audigy2 ZS Platinum
    3DM2003:12185 | 3DM2005: 5278
    Stability: 28H 28M P95 DC small FFT50