Played Need for Speed Underground 2 demo....

Discussion in 'ATI' started by hg, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. hg

    hg Guest

    I'm sure many ATI owners will find this initial impression interesting as
    NFSU was a hot seller on PCs(I upgraded to a 9800 just for NFS)
    Just downloaded and played for about 2 hours the just released Need for
    Speed Underground 2 demo...and my initial view is disappointing. On my 3Ghz
    PC with Radeon 9800(oc'd) card the first thing that got me was the graphics,
    which look several levels worse than the original!? For a start, with nearly
    all the settings on max visual quality the city/world looks terrible,
    nowhere near as detailed or impressive as the first game. The cars look
    worse than the orginal, apart from a nice NOS flames effect which is pretty
    cool. But my biggest disappointment of all are the babes in the crowd and
    especially the ones that start the race- they look like badly drawn
    playstation 1 characters! Nooooooooooooooooooo! What have they done to them?
    Shame on you EA.
    On the plus side, the only new impressive graphical effect is the rainstorm
    graphics which has to be the most realistic I've yet seen. Pretty cool when
    a thunderstorm starts up in the middle of a race i gotta say.
    This demo is too close to the release date of the actual game to expect any
    drastic improvements so I would expect this is pretty much what the final
    release will look like. Something fishy altogether about the graphics - like
    they could have been better but have been simplified to 'fit' in with the
    console versions.
    Gameplay seems O.K. and it does have that 'one more go' effect so nothing
    wrong that.
    I know graphics are secondary to gameplay but when a game as ground-breaking
    visually and gameplay wise as NFSU is released, you'd expect the producers
    to outdo the original by several levels. I was definitely expecting more
    from this game after the first game used all available hardware so well -
    something that was stated in the first game's documention.
    NFSU 1 is one of my fav games of all time, certainly my fav racer of all
    time so this sequel had something to live up to. So far it hasn't.

    hg, Oct 27, 2004

  2. hg

    Jeff Reid Guest

    On the plus side, the only new impressive graphical effect is the rainstorm
    How does this compare to the rain in NFS High Stakes? I always thought that
    the night and rain combo looked cool, here's a link to a video:

    http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/nfs4dc.wmv

    Jeff Reid, Oct 27, 2004

  3. hg

    Andrew Guest

    Which drivers are you using? I use the 4.4's which until now were the
    best all rounders for my 9700 Pro, but in the NFSU2 demo, all I see
    are the car and roadside lights!

    Andrew, Oct 27, 2004
  4. hg

    hg Guest

    Which drivers are you using? I use the 4.4's which until now were the
    I'm using the 4.9 beta Doom3 drivers - if you read the help file it actually
    says 4.9 ATI drivers are strongly recommended for Radeon cards. Looks like
    you'll have to dump the 4.4s to play this demo.

    hg, Oct 27, 2004
  5. hg

    Andrew Guest

    Thanks, I will try them :)

    Andrew, Oct 27, 2004
  6. hg

    hg Guest

    The effect is similar but better in Underground 2 - the rain is heavier and
    road seems to become more reflective when wet so it overall the effect looks
    better because there are more lights around and the illumination of the rain
    by the headlights is better also. Only thing missing from Underground 2 is
    the spray coming up from behind the vehicle. Maybe that's something they
    will add for the release.

    hg, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Has anyone tried the demo with cat 4.10? I am experiencing graphical
    problems with cat 4.8 when using both [light trails] and [light glow] at the
    same time. The readme.txt recommends cat 4.9, but if I'm gonna change I'd
    rather go to 4.10.

    Tony DiMarzio, Oct 27, 2004
  8. hg

    Pluvious Guest

    I'm using the 4.9b's from Omega and it's looking fine.

    One important tweak I found to improve the IQ is to turn off the
    stupid ENHANCED CONTAST and even the FOG. Once I turned those off
    along with light trails and motion blur it started to look more like
    the 1st NFS:U. I still think the first one is about 20% better looking
    and I think we can blame the consoles for the drop in IQ.

    I really liked the replay feature!! I never understood why it was left
    out of the first one considering the point of the game is to trick out
    your ride and make it look cool.

    Over all, it looks like I'll be getting this game when it hits.. but
    again.. I'm sorry to see a little bit of "consolitis" effect the PC
    version. :(

    Pluvious

    --------------------------------
    thread start:

    Pluvious, Oct 27, 2004
  9. hg

    BS82 Guest

    ea demo never represent the final product quality... :-\

    BS82, Oct 28, 2004
  10. well... I tried it out with the 4.10's and it appears to work fine. No more
    graphical corruption with all the options turned on.

    Now, with respect to the quality of the demo:

    1. I loved the first NFSU.
    2. I'm not impressed by NFSU2 - from what I've seen so far.
    3. The visual quality of the models is just horrible compared to the first
    NFSU
    4. I'm not really fond of the motion blur.
    5. I really don't know; I just had higher expectations I guess.

    Bah... Where's HL2!

    Tony DiMarzio, Oct 28, 2004
  11. hg

    Vellu Guest

    Well, as far as I remember, the original NFSU demo was visually pretty much
    the same as the final product....

    Vellu, Oct 28, 2004
  12. hg

    Vellu Guest

    1. Me too.
    2. Expected to be better, but not totally disappointing either.
    3. The world being modelled simpler I get, since it's free roam/there's a
    lot more of it than in the first nfsu. As for the cars, hard to say yet
    judging from the few cars that can be seen.
    4. Me neither, looks stupid.
    5. Since the first one blew everyones eyes out....this should've been even
    more impressive...it's not. Gameplay might still be interesting dispite the
    visual disappoitment. There isn't much of styling/tuning available in the
    demo to tell properly.

    Vellu, Oct 28, 2004
  13. hg

    hg Guest

    No such restriction for the PC version I'm afraid - with consoles and their
    tiny memory spaces simpler models are unavoidable. I suspect the PC version
    has used the graphical lowest common denominator for all the old reasons -
    time and money. I was wondering how they could come up with a sequel in such
    a short time and now I know. Most of the stuff has been reused from initial
    console designs to save them time in having to improve the visuals.
    Maybe another reason why they did the visuals this way was the massive
    success of the first game, they wanted as many people as possible to play
    the game so they designed it with ordinary PCs in mind- unlike the first
    game which looked great on ordinary PCs but could use the extra power of
    high-end hardware and it looked unbelievable.

    hg, Oct 28, 2004
  14. hg

    Vellu Guest

    Valid point. Though the demo runs slightly more sluggish on my setup than
    the original game despite the simple models...could be just the demo
    "problem".

    Vellu, Oct 28, 2004
  15. hg

    Firthy Guest

    4.10 here on 9600XT ultra no probs....1024x768

    Firthy

    Firthy, Oct 29, 2004
  16. hg

    Jeff Reid Guest

    Jeff Reid, Oct 29, 2004
  17. It's not that the graphics aren't deserving of the adjective "good"; it's
    just that compared to PC NeedForSpeedUnderground 1, they've taken a step
    back. In order to decrease development time and support consoles at release,
    EA has unfortunately opted for the, to quote HQ from above, "graphical least
    common denominator" approach. This really f'n sucks. Just take a look at the
    models - I could puke.

    Tony DiMarzio, Oct 29, 2004
  18. hg

    Vellu Guest

    Exactly. It's not ugly. It's very good....But NOT AS GOOD as before, which
    is really disappointing.

    Vellu, Oct 29, 2004
  19. hg

    Predator Guest

    I was disappointed with the demo. I hope they fix the problems with it.
    Here's what I found, if you're using they keyboard even if you have it set
    to left,right,up,down it would only accelerate or decelate and no steer. I
    had to use my joystick to steer while I used the keyboard for throttling.
    (Yes I checked the keyboard map). The interface is SLOW. I dunno why but
    it's just retarded, it mouse speed should be the same as the one in the
    windows options. Online play was a bust. The server browser never finished
    listings games, there is no filter to remove games with passwords either and
    it's only 4 players max.

    But the most irritating thing was the "continue" button. There are icons on
    top the screen and you have to use the scroll buttons on the side to move to
    the selected items. You cannot just click on an inactive icon to activate it
    (ugh). on the bottom two buttons. "back" and "continue". So you move the
    scroll to options for example and then select "continue", and the whole
    interface is like that. EA should stop this stupid unified console/PC
    interfaces, they are just stupid.

    Predator, Oct 30, 2004
  20. hg

    H3LpM3P1z Guest

    Not sure if a lot of people have this product...

    Does the Act Labs Shifter and Clutch work in this game? I know it
    didn't work for the first one. Any improvement on the second one?

    Thanks.

    H3LpM3P1z, Oct 30, 2004