    When playing the sound jumps/skips.
    I am using the supplied Nero Showtime software
    Can anyone help please.

    gary ewing, Dec 30, 2004

  2. gary ewing

    T Shadow Guest

    Make sure UDMA is turned on for the IDE channel the drive is on.

    T Shadow, Dec 30, 2004

  3. gary ewing

    Lenny Guest

    When playing the sound jumps/skips.
    When playing what, DVD movies? If "yes", then what's your operating system?
    If you don't run windows 2000 or XP, you won't have DMA transfers activated
    as default. DMA is when a device can transfer data without involving the
    main processor, and is much faster to boot. If you run windows 9x or
    millennium edition, you need to open the device manager, and find your
    CD/DVDROM drives (just open the appropriate sub-heading). Doubleclick each
    optical drive, and on the settings tab, tick the little DMA checkbox, click
    on the OK buttons to close any windows open and reboot AFTER you have
    completed this procedure for all your drives. This will reduce CPU load
    greatly when reading from your optical drive(s) as well as improve
    throughput.

    Also, you may want to make sure you have your proper motherboard drivers
    installed, as otherwise windows will use its own default DMA drivers if it
    can't identify the chipset used on your mobo. It'll still work mind you,
    just not optimally. If you have windows XP, that means it will automatically
    find many varieties of hardware from a number of manufacturers, though not
    the stuff released from the last couple years. Older windows versions will
    have less support built-in of course as it won't include support for
    hardware that was invented after the OS was released... :) If you're unsure,
    open up your computer or mobo manual - which you of course saved somewhere,
    RIGHT??? ;) - and check what chipset is used in your computer. Then visit
    that manufacturer's website and download and run the appropriate driver
    package. Some common chipset manufactuers are Intel, VIA, Nvidia, SIS (in
    that approximate order).

    If this does not fix your issue, you might want to try another DVD player
    software. WinDVD or PowerDVD are popular choices and can be bought fairly
    cheaply over the web and will probably do a better job than your included
    piece of kit. You might also want to try this approach immediately, as it's
    probably easier to try (for a novice at least, if you can be categorized as
    such).

    If none of this advice was helpful or if you have other questions, please
    reply with more information about your computer system and any solutions you
    may have tried on your own. Believe me - this stuff matters A LOT. You can't
    call up a mechanic and just say your car won't start and expect him to be
    able to know what's wrong with it. ;) Could be your battery's flat and it
    simply needs a jump. Could be your crankshaft's seized and you need a whole
    new engine. :p

    Lenny, Dec 30, 2004
  4. gary ewing

    gary ewing Guest

    Thanks for the help.
    It was a DVD Movie and I am running ME.
    PowerDVD has given me no problems.
    Looked in Device Manager and could not find any DMA check box.
    As long as it works, I do not mind

    Thanks again

    gary ewing, Dec 31, 2004