    Or is it the operating system that intercepts the call and calls itunes
    instead of quicktime ?

    The quicktime application is not started.

    JF Mezei, Mar 26, 2011

  2. Sounds more like Thunderbird screwing up, because (a) Mac OS X does not
    insist on using any application for any file type, and (b) QuickTime
    Player can most certainly handle WAV files. I have no idea how
    Thunderbird handles things but I'd check out its preferences in case
    it's trying to open Quicktime Player directly and somehow has its
    settings messed up. I'd also suggest setting QuickTime Player as the
    default app for WAV files.

    Tom Harrington, Mar 26, 2011

  3. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    I would pick any .wav file on your system, and under "Get Info" change
    the "Open with" to QuickTime Player.app for all those .wav files. Mine
    open in QT Player. Remember, "QuickTime" doesn't necessarily mean the
    just the player, particularly not to Thunderbird.

    If you can highlight the attachment in your mail, you may be able to
    get QuickLook to open it just by hitting the space bar.

    Warren Oates, Mar 26, 2011
  4. JF Mezei

    Justin Guest

    I suggest VLC. It is a cross platform open source (free) media player.
    It literally plays everything - including Microsoft proprietary files.

    Once you install VLC do what Warren said - right click and hit get info
    to associate that file with whatever app you want.

    Also, if you need to convert a file there's Handbrake - another cross
    platform open source free video tool.

    Justin, Mar 30, 2011
  5. JF Mezei

    Justin Guest

    Justin, Mar 30, 2011
  6. JF Mezei

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Mar 30, 2011
  7. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    I keep VLC and a bunch of stuff around, but I always wind up using the
    QT Player (Pro) for just about everything. Once you've installed Perian
    and so on, it plays everything nicely, even recognizes the chapters in
    ..mkv files.

    I like VLC, but as someone else has pointed out, it's a bit "crashy" dnd
    it has hidden prefs files that can cause some grief. I've never
    successfully used it for transcoding anything.

    Warren Oates, Mar 30, 2011
  8. JF Mezei

    Justin Guest

    I found Perian to be crashy, actually. The only times VLC shit on me
    was when playing Microsoft files. However when i get one of them, I
    always convert to mp4 via Handbrake - VLC doesn't transcode as far as I
    know. If it does, it probably sucks.
    God forbid Microsoft and its piece of shit Expression Encoder support
    mp4 by default. People encode their files and send them to me without
    knowing what its encoded. But hey, at least Expression Encoder now
    supports H.264 in its latest service pack. The quality probably sucks
    though.

    Justin, Mar 30, 2011
  9. The trouble with QT Player for me is it often fails to play video where
    VLC works, or will force use of some subtitles unlike VLC which always
    gives me control, and rarely crashes IME. YMMV, but QT Player + Perian
    performs sub-optimally for me, but maybe it's just my liking for
    BitTorrent to access video I can't get here for a reasonable price, or
    at all - as uploaders use a wide variety of encoders and file formats.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 31, 2011
  10. Hell, even preview or Quicklook in the Finder plays those.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Mar 31, 2011
  11. JF Mezei

    Justin Guest

    I disagree.
    If the OP wants to explore other options he will see our opinions on
    Perian and VLC.

    and VLC just released another version which is a hell of alot more
    stable, even with Microsoft videos.

    Justin, Apr 1, 2011
  12. JF Mezei

    Justin Guest

    Indeed.
    Isn't uncompressed WAV basically a generic standard for all platforms?
    From wikipedia...
    "Both WAVs and AIFFs are compatible with Windows, Macintosh, and Linux
    operating systems. The format takes into account some differences of the
    Intel CPU such as little-endian byte order. The RIFF format acts as a
    "wrapper" for various audio compression codecs."

    Justin, Apr 1, 2011