Please help an OC newbie... AMD 2800 (333fsb, Barton) proc, Shuttle AN35N

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by upgrdman, May 1, 2004.

  1. upgrdman

    upgrdman Guest

    My motherboard is an nForce2 based mobo, and a quick google search
    affirmed the rumors that nForce2 based motherboards auto-unlock the
    cpu--at least for my specific motherboard.

    Without overclocking, it runs at 12.5x166

    I first changed the multiplier to 13, but it had no effect. I would
    restart, no problems or anything, but when I booted into linux, and
    check the cpu speed... it was the same old 2087mhz. I even tried
    setting the multiplier to 13.5, 14 etc... still had no affect. The
    bios did save the new settings correctly...im sure. I doubble checked
    each time to make sure it saved the new multiplier...and it did--it
    just didnt seem to actually change it like i would expect. Why isn't
    changing the multiplier working??

    So then I tried changeing the FSB speed slowly... because I heard that
    that's where the real overclocking power comes from on the AMD
    Barton's. I changed the fsb to 168... then 169. no problems, but very
    marginal speed increases (of course). When I try to up it to 170 or
    higher, When my box restarts... The bios just makes a long beep,
    reboots, and then goes back to being un-overclocked. I'm assuming it's
    trying to tell me it didn't work or want stable at all, and as a safty
    measure, reset the speed to the old stuff.

    So...I'm sure I can eek out more than a few mhz of a difference from
    overclocking. Why couldn't I? ... I assume I need to up some of the
    voltages??

    My BIOS is currently set to have the voltages on "AUTO". All 3 voltage
    settings, cpu, ram, and agp are set to "AUTO."

    The bios doesnt tell me what the normal voltage should be though :(
    Can anyone tell me what they should be on a NOT overclocked box...and
    then what they should be on an overclocked box. Again, I assume the
    voltage increases should be proportional to the amount I overclock...
    but by how much? like many volts should i try adding for every x mhz
    fsb increasing? If you guys could provide me with even ballpark
    figures I would appriciate it. Or at least warnings on what NOT to set
    them too. I would really prefer not to fry my headware :)

    FYI, My RAM is DDR400... and has nice heatsinks (headspeaders?) on
    them...appearntly aluminum.

    Thanks,

    --Farrell F.

    upgrdman, May 1, 2004

  2. upgrdman

    ICee Guest

    The MB does not unlock a locked CPU. The MB will allow all multiplers,
    but only with an unlocked CPU.
    Yep, that's default for the 2800+.
    Because you have a locked multiplier CPU. I haven't heard anything
    recently about anyone finding a way to unlock it yet.
    You assume correctly.
    The default core voltage for the 2800+ is 1.65V; memory, 2.5V; AGP,
    1.5V, which should be left alone in most cases.
    The CPU core voltage should be increased by .025V increments until the
    system is stable at any particular FSB speed. Since you have PC3200
    memory, you shouldn't need to raise the memory voltage, but some memory
    needs 2.6V to 2.8V to run properly at 200 MHz (400 DDR) or above.
    In your case, increase the core voltage to 1.7V and the memory voltage
    to 2.6V (check the specs for the memory to see what the default voltage
    is; you may need to increase it more). Set the FSB to 170 MHz, since
    that's where you lost it last time. If it's stable there, increase the
    FSB again, slowly. Go in 1 or 2 MHz steps. If the system becomes
    unstable, or won't boot, increase the core voltage by .025V increments
    till it's stable. Just keep doing this till the system refuses to go
    any higher, with a couple caveats.
    Watch the CPU temperature, since it will go up as you increase speed and
    core voltage. This will be a limiting factor depending on how good a
    heatsink you have. Also, the core voltage should be kept below about
    1.85V. Although I have seen others run the CPU at higher voltages, I
    wouldn't go higher (but that's just me). Finally, the CPU is going to
    cap out anywhere between 2200 and 2500 MHz; be aware that you may get
    more, or less.
    Once you have it running apparently stable at a higher speed, run
    Prime95 to test actual stability. If you get any errors in Prime95,
    back the FSB speed down slowly till you can run it for hours with no
    errors. Fine tune FSB and core voltage till you have the system running
    Prime95 for at least 6 hours with no errors. Keep an eye on the CPU
    temp as you go.
    Prime95 is a free program available here:
    http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
    Good luck.

    ICee, May 1, 2004

  3. upgrdman

    ICee Guest

    Sorry, I was thinking you had an Abit NF7; I see nForce2 and immediately
    think of the NF7. In any case, any Barton CPU manufactured after about
    week 39 of 2003 has a locked multiplier, and so far no one has been able
    to find a way to unlock it. The NF7 series will allow all multipliers
    *if* the CPU is unlocked. Don't know about your MB since you didn't
    mention what it is, but in any case, whatever it is, it can't unlock one
    of these "superlocked" CPU's.

    ICee, May 1, 2004
  4. upgrdman

    Wes Newell Guest

    There's no Mb made that can unlock a multiplier locked cpu.
    1. The cpu multiplier is locked.
    2. Some MB's don't allow crosing the 12.5-13 multiplier boundary because
    they don't really controll the 5th multiplier bit.
    Adds a little performance boost that way, but nothing great.
    To be successful overclocking a FSB you need to either be lucky, or know
    what effect it has on the rest of your system.
    Maybe, but it could be lots of things. I doubt it's vcore with just that
    little overclock.
    I could type for an hour and probably not cover it all. Experiment.:)
    Or do some googling.

    Wes Newell, May 1, 2004
  5. upgrdman

    rstlne Guest

    Eh.. It is wrong sometimes..
    yea, that one is correct
    Ask google again.. hint, search for LOCKED BARTON and see what it shows ;P..
    If you dont want to search then let me just say, it's a barton that's
    lock'd..
    166 to 170 isnt a big jump, how high did you go? I would expect you to
    reach 176 PROBABLY but 180+ might not be possible
    Granted, still have the ram to think about (read ur mobo book)
    You shouldnt tinker with voltages, Learn what does what and when what
    happens to what and why and when it will do what it does to what it does it
    to when and how and then
    change voltages (or you will have a dead processor/ram (maybee more) through
    user error)
    daz good
    most bios's have a dig page and it will tell you what it's running at ..
    every chip is different (well not really true, but they arn't all the same)
    Is it those lil ugly ones that look like the fighters out of battlestar
    galatica, I wanted some of them but I didnt figgure it would help, still
    they look "interesting"

    rstlne, May 2, 2004