Please Help Can't Overclock My 2800+ Barton on Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Michael Rembo, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. I have been trying to overclock my Barton 2800+ but can't get anyware. Keep
    geting that silly voice on my motherboard saying System failure due to cpu
    overclock.

    Here are my specs:

    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (Latest Bios)
    2 x 512meg DDR 3200 (Crucial) Memory
    2800+ Barton

    The multiplier and bus speed as follows.

    12.5x
    166
    Vcore 1.65

    I have tried setting the FSB to 200 x 11 whilst slowly increasing the Vcore
    to 1.75

    Every setting apart from default (Even slower) causes boot error message.

    What am I missing, All I hear is that everybodu apart from me can do it.

    Thanks For any help.

    Mike

    Michael Rembo, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Michael Rembo

    Jim Guest

    There's no guarantee *any* processor will run above spec (166MHz clock in
    this case), let alone 200MHz, so it sounds to me you've leap-frogged to
    200MHz immediately. Are you saying you can't even run 167, 168, 169, etc.?
    (x 12.5) either?! One would at least expect a *little* OC'ing ability. If
    so, it would be helpful to know exactly where things start to go awry,
    rather than simply jumping to 200MHz and declaring it's not working.

    I'm also assuming you have the CPU FSB and memory running "sync" (1:1).
    Remember, every time you OC the FSB, the memory is OC'd too. I'm not sure
    how you have the CPU FSB and DRAM Freq (Advanced Chipset Features) currently
    configured, so I'm flying blind here. But the best thing to do is manually
    set DRAM Freq to 1:1 (100%, or SYNC) to make sure that as you OC the FSB,
    the memory simple shadows it. If the mobo defaults to 5:6 (120%), perhaps
    as a result of By SPD, or *you* manually setting it (not unthinkable since
    your first inclination before OC'ing is to run asynchronously, so you get
    all the PC3200 you paid for), this will result in OC'ing the PC3200 too!
    And being Crucial, it probably can't be OC'd very much, if at all. IOW,
    what may be holding you back is not the CPU, but memory.

    So just go to the DRAM Freq and set it to 1:1 (100%, or SYNC), then try
    again. Now your memory, set to PC2700, won't cause problems as the CPU FSB
    is OC'd. As the CPU FBS is increased, the memory will increase too, but it
    will remain BELOW spec (PC3200) until CPU FSB 200MHz! If you're lucky,
    you'll be able to reach 200MHz, and your memory will be "at spec". Anything
    above 200MHz is gravy, since from that point on the memory runs above spec
    too (which is why people sometimes buy more headroom, such as PC3500 or
    PC3700).

    HTH

    Jim

    Jim, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Michael Rembo

    Mikey Guest

    Thanks
    Jim for all the time you spent answering me.

    No go, even with slowing the memory down.

    All The Best

    Mike

    Mikey, Apr 19, 2004