Please help - GA-K8NXP-SLI BIOS update problems

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by BillL, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. BillL

    BillL Guest

    Hello all,

    My PC has been running quite happily on the F9 BIOS then I stupidly tried to
    change a setting (enable 1T timing) in the BIOS screen. I hit F10 and the PC
    wouldn't boot (series of long bleeps). I switched off the PC and restarted
    with the delete key. Anyhow the PC started (one long beep followed by a
    successful POST beep) but this time with the F6 BIOS version. I really don't
    want to use this version as it means I can't run the RAM above 166MHz (200
    with the F9 BIOS)

    Anyhow I haven't got a floppy drive so I used Gigabytes @BIOS to flash to
    the latest F10 BIOS through windows. The BIOS programming process seemed to
    go fine but the problems started again when I restarted the PC - again it
    wont start from a warm reboot and I have to switch the PC off do a cold boot
    and ... end up with the F6 BIOS! :eek:(

    Sooo what I am I doing wrong? Do I need to remove the mobo battery before I
    switch on the PC after updating the BIOS? Is it the @BIOS method which is
    the problem? Would this occur with the floppy disk method? Should I buy a
    Mac? ;o)

    TIA

    BillL

    BillL, Dec 4, 2005

  2. BillL

    Paul Guest

    Your board has a dual BIOS. I see in the manual, in section 4.1.3,
    (pg.59) there is an option to boot from Main BIOS or Backup BIOS.
    Would it be a matter of selecting the BIOS you want to boot from,
    via that setting ?

    http://america.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_k8nxpsli_e.pdf

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 5, 2005

  3. BillL

    old jon Guest

    Paul is quite right you have a Dual BIOS system and you must
    Read The Flippin` Manual. And anyway Mac`s are too bl**dy expensive <g>.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Dec 5, 2005
  4. BillL

    BillL Guest

    Meh! I know about the Dual Bios thingy wotsit it and I suspect (though I
    don't know) that its just booting from the back-up BIOS with the F6 version.
    So maybe I need to take the bull by the horns and so a bit of trial and
    error?

    Err next plea for help: 'I'm posting this to the NG from a friends PC cos
    mine's totally hosed' ... ;o)

    OJ you're not wrong about Mac's and since they're goimg to be using Intel
    CPU's soon I wouldn't touch em!

    BillL, Dec 5, 2005