    and could not recognise the two processors? Is there a way of telling
    which is which from the exterior?

    Many thanks

    tonetony, Sep 14, 2007

  2. tonetony

    Dave Devine Guest

    Don't know about that, but if you have enough physical access to the
    machine to install your hard drive, just open it up and take a look....

    Dave

    Dave Devine, Sep 14, 2007

  3. Some ways which might help:

    1. Look at the model number on the back. The STFW for the specs for that
    model. Make sure to check the number of CPU's the speed and approximate
    age.

    2. Install Linux. Open a terminal window and look at /proc/cpuinfo
    (type without quotes "less /proc/cpuinfo"

    3. Since your 10.3 system booted on it, then install a fresh copy from
    on the hard drive from your original media.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Sep 14, 2007
  4. tonetony

    tonetony Guest

    True. I thougth about asking for a screwdriver but i didn't want to
    freak the owner out. It was a late visit anyhow. I will succumb
    to this option if it is my last resort.

    tonetony, Sep 14, 2007
  5. tonetony

    tonetony Guest

    Some ways which might help:
    What exactly is/ what do you mean by STFW?

    Is there the number of CPUs written somewhere at the back?

    Approximate age is a really good point. I'll check that for sure.

    Is there no chance of getting this infornation from the OS X terminal?

    tonetony, Sep 14, 2007
  6. system_profiler -detailLevel mini

    rob

    Robin Johnson, Sep 14, 2007
  7. tonetony

    tonetony Guest

    The OS reports what hardware it's on, regardless of what drive you
    That is what i thought as well. I jsut emailed the owner ad says it is
    200% a dual processor machine.
    Thom, i am cool with this. It is the heatsink that needs the
    screwsriver.

    tonetony, Sep 14, 2007
  8. tonetony

    Warren Oates Guest

    Then that is what it is, regardless of what your friend may tell you.
    I'm surprised you managed to get it to boot from that hard drive ...

    Warren Oates, Sep 14, 2007
  9. tonetony

    tonetony Guest

    Interesting....what makes you saying that?

    tonetony, Sep 14, 2007
  10. tonetony

    Warren Oates Guest

    I dunno, OS X can be picky about what processor or machine it boots
    from. I'm glad you could do it. Seriously, though, if System Profiler
    says 1 core, then that's what's in there, unless it's some kind of
    upgrade that it doesn't recognize.

    Warren Oates, Sep 14, 2007
  11. tonetony

    Tim McNamara Guest

    What exactly is/ what do you mean by STFW?[/QUOTE]

    Surf The Fine Web. Get the model number off the back, check Apple's Web
    site for the specs. That will tell you for certain whether it was made
    with one or two cores.
    Sure, but using System Profiler will tell you everything you need to
    know much easier. As will a simple visual inspection of the
    motherboard. Just look under the edge of the heat sink and count the
    CPUs. Then show the seller and have him locate that second CPU for you.

    It sounds like the guy selling the computer is either clueless or lying.
    I find it suspicious that he is selling the computer without an OS
    installed, which could be intended to make it harder to check whether he
    is telling the truth.

    Tim McNamara, Sep 14, 2007
  12. tonetony

    tonetony Guest

    This is what i thought myself. But since someone brought up the linux
    terminal i just thought that there might be
    some glitch with Apple System Profiler perhaps coz OS X.3.9 was
    installed in a single processor machine.
    I know i am talking about a long shot here but i am just trying to
    figure this out myself as well.
    Well, the seller seems quite alright, i am not worrying about fraud or
    something. Not really that computare aware looks more like it.
    I think I'll get a nice Phillips screwdriver and aim straight for the
    bone.

    tonetony, Sep 14, 2007
  13. tonetony

    tonetony Guest

    Again, you *don't* need a screw driver. You can tell how many CPUs
    Gotcha JR. No screwdriver. Flashlight. Angle. Thanks.

    tonetony, Sep 14, 2007
  14. Sounds like this person has trouble with math. If you scale that %200
    percent to a real value (i.e., %100), scaling the other claims by the
    same proportion, you get one CPU.

    Anyway, another option is to boot with the setup disk, or a AppleCare
    TechTool boot disk. The last for sure has a way to query the hardware,
    including number of CPUs.

    Clever Monkey, Sep 14, 2007
  15. tonetony

    tonetony Guest

    Lol claver monkey, i think your argument convinced me that this is a
    single processor machine we are talking about. Lol
    Good stuff. I'll give it a try if i find a copy by then.

    tonetony, Sep 14, 2007