Please Help! I need to upgrade my CPU, etc.

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by +G, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. +G

    +G Guest

    Hi, can you please help me? I figured there would be a few AMD experts in
    here.

    This is my sisters PC.

    It has an AOpen AK-73 Pro mainboard and it presently has a Duron 900 chip in
    it.

    I'd like to upgrade it to a faster CPU (the prices seem cheap now), but
    don't know what the maximum speed chip this board will take if I upgrade it.

    I already upgraded the RAM (it only had 128MB), but would like to add a
    better Video Card as well.
    It currently has a Voodoo 3000 16MB AGP card in it. Can anyone recommend a
    good cheap AGP card that would match this system? I was thinking low end
    here.

    Thanks in advance...

    +G, Apr 4, 2004

  2. I googled this up in a minute or two.

    Found at the AOpen web site in their museum:

    http://english.aopen.com.tw/products/mb/AK73Pro(A).htm

    Peter van der Goes, Apr 4, 2004

  3. +G

    +G Guest

    Thanks, that was the first thing I tried. However, that PDF is old.
    It doesn't mention the newer chips unfortunately.

    +G, Apr 4, 2004
  4. +G

    B Guest

    It's a beauty of an older motherboard and will take any processor whether it
    is a Duron or Athlon XP (preferred) as long as the buss speed is 266 (133 x
    2) and so a nice cheap effort would be an Athlon XP 2000 as this is the
    maximum CPU tested for this motherboard as long as ENG 9C support is on the
    motherboard. Otherwise you are better off to buy another motherboard that is
    newer than what you have but is older so the cost is lower. You could buy a
    motherboard combination with Athlon 2400 and motherboard together with CPU
    fan for 76 to 77 dollars.

    http://swe.aopen.com.tw/testreport/mb/cpu_supported.asp?TestFunction=494&Model=331

    This board only has an AGP 4X slot, so if you look for an FX 5200 with 128
    megs of ram this would set you back about 55 dollars. The Athlon 2000 is
    about 46 to 47 dollars.

    regards

    B, Apr 4, 2004
  5. +G

    +G Guest

    Thanks!! I'll have to check on the ENG 9C support, I believe it is there.

    +G, Apr 4, 2004
  6. +G

    Wes Newell Guest

    KT133 chipset.
    See sig line. See link.
    Just make sure it's at least 128bit. IOW's, forget anything MX. I just got
    a GF3 from here. They shipped Express Mail.

    http://www.shentech.com/visiontek.html

    Wes Newell, Apr 4, 2004
  7. +G

    Wes Newell Guest

    He didn't say he had a Pro A model (KT133A), but only a Pro model (KT133),
    so the fsb is limited to 100MHz (/200). So he'll need an unlocked cpu to
    get the most out of it. A 2500+ Barton core would be nice. HAS to be
    UNLOCKED though.

    Wes Newell, Apr 4, 2004
  8. +G

    Brook Guest

    An Athlon XP-Mobile Barton 2400+ comes to mind. Would that work?

    Brook, Apr 5, 2004
  9. +G

    rstlne Guest

    Doubtful..
    There are chipset limitations to the "Mobile" chips. It's why us Nforce
    users might not get a M chip working

    rstlne, Apr 5, 2004