Please Help ..Machine-Check-Exception

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Paul, Dec 24, 2007.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Have you taken the cover off it, for a look inside ?

    Are the fans running ? Is the unit dusty ?

    What kind of machine is it ? If a Dell, what is the model number ?

    Part of testing, is discovering what test case will immediately
    cause the error. For example, if a machine crashes the instant
    that Prime95 torture test starts running, it could be a power
    problem. It takes time for the processor to heat up, so there
    is a difference between a crash that happens in one second, and
    a crash that takes five or ten seconds.

    Useful things to have for any computer, are a hardware monitor
    with voltages, temperatures, and fan speeds listed. Sometimes
    you can see those things in the BIOS. Ideally, you also want
    a program that runs in Windows and can display the same info
    that is seen in the BIOS. (If the computer did not come with
    such a program, you can try Speedfan from almico.com/speedfan433.exe )

    For Prime95, a recent version is this one (for Windows):

    http://www.mersenne.org/gimps/ (various versions for different OSes)
    http://www.mersenne.org/gimps/p95v255a.zip (good version for Windows)

    Prime95 is a good test of the CPU and memory. It runs the
    CPU pretty near 100% loading, so the CPU heats up as much
    as it would if you were gaming. Prime95 stops, as soon as it
    detects one calculation error. It is doing math calculations
    and it checks the results. If an error is detected, the program
    stops. But depending on the health of the computer power supply,
    or of the Vcore regulator circuit arranged around the CPU socket,
    the computer could also crash as soon as the program starts.
    Observing the hardware monitor voltages, temps, and fan speeds
    when Prime95 starts to run, can provide additional info at
    the instant something significant happens.

    If prompted to "join the search for prime numbers", you
    don't have to. Once you say no to that question, you should be
    able to use the defaults and run the torture test option.

    Looking inside the case, is for the obvious stuff. Like if the
    clip broke on the processor, and the heatsink is hanging down.
    I don't expect you to see all possible problems with a quick
    look, but sometimes you get lucky, and it is something
    trivial. The clips do break, especially plastic that is under
    stress for several years, and then receives a sharp rap
    (computer gets kicked or dropped etc).

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 24, 2007

  2. Paul

    John Guest

    Greeting all,

    Having a major problem with computer "Blue Screen" on-going for weeks
    now and am at my whits end. Even Googled it and that was no help.

    Blue screen with the following:
    Machine-Check-Exception
    Tech info
    Stop: 0x0000009C (0x00000000, 0x8054D570, 0xCC0000FF, 0x20040189)

    Beginning Dump of Physical Memory
    Physical Memory Dump Complete

    Contact System Admin or Tech Support

    After the crash cold boot goes to Windows and immediately received the
    following report to send to M$$$:

    Error Signature
    BCCode: 9c BCP1: 00000000 BCP2: 8054D570 BCP3: CC0000FF
    BCP4: 20040189 OSVer5_1_2600 SP: 2 Product: 768_1

    After clicking tech info about error report this is what appeared:
    Error Report Contents:
    The following files will be included in this error report:

    C:\Documents~1\Jaimie\Locals~1\Temp\WER950b.dir00\Mini122307-02.dmp
    C:\Documents~1\Jaimie\Locals~1\Temp\WER950b.dir00\sysdata.xml

    I tried the Windows XP Home install CD and "Repair" three times. Still
    no solution? Tried reformatting with fresh install of XP and computer
    ran at my house fine for a few days until XP SP2 update. Computer Blue
    screened once during update but after restart all ran well for about
    three days. Edited about 5 large files in Photoshop7 all at the same
    time, all while running three or four different websites in IE and
    playing a video.

    I brought the computer back to my friends house and he had a problem
    within hours that kept recurring. Days later at my house all ran fine
    for a few more days??? Installed Nortons AV and all seemed fine. Days
    later at his house Blue screens started the cycle over again.

    I have the CPU back again and it's doing the same thing at my place. I
    ran a 6 hour diagnostic program and all hardware passed. When I went to
    WinXP at restart it started Blue Screening again.

    Even Dell tech support doesn't have a clue.

    Could there possibly be external environmental issues causing this
    problem? He has a large Sub-woofer sitting 8" from the CPU and a Police
    scanner.??? The house is only a few years old and he is a qualified
    Electrician and did his own wiring.

    Please any suggestion are more than welcome.

    Thanks for your time.
    John

    John, Dec 24, 2007

  3. Paul

    Boris Guest

    Pauls information is right on. I have one more small idea. Go to run and
    type in eventvwr and look around it may tell you at least what happened,
    which would give you some idea where to start.
    Boris

    Boris, Dec 26, 2007