Please Help!! OS X will not install..

Discussion in 'Apple' started by James, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Sorry about first post. Here's the whole thing:

    Dear group,
    I have now officially been through hell. Let me first describe my
    machine.

    1 Ghz Powerbook G4 12 inch with 768 ram.

    I recently experienced a bad crash while using Photoshop. I couldn't
    force quit, so I tried a force restart. Bad move, the computer refused
    to boot. Okay, so I had backed up my things so I tried a clean
    reinstall.

    2. The install disk couldn't find my drive at all to erase it.

    3. I tried starting again. Okay, now it could find the drive and erase
    it but now the install program crashed while installing Asian System
    Files or something similar. I mean, it really hung. Stuck on 6% for
    the entire length of two television shows and three cigarettes.

    4. Tried writing zeros to the disk. after TWO DAYS and no progress
    while halfway through (and my girlfriend accidentally pulling the plug
    out) it stopped as well.

    5. Tried reinstalling again. hung.

    6. Tried different install disks, hung while installing Swedish.

    Do I have a bad hardware problem? Should I try removing one of the Ram
    blocks. Is suicide an option? Can anyone help? I recoginze that I
    shouldn't have force started but I promise it won't happen again. Now I
    just want to see that happy mac login window again. This entire
    process has taken 5 days and it is still not done.

    Best,
    james

    James, Mar 23, 2005

  2. What makes you think it's RAM? Everything you've described makes it
    sound like your hard drive has failed. You can certainly remove the
    extra RAM and see if it makes a difference, but my guess is that it
    won't.

    Anyway, if it makes you feel better, it's unlikely the force start was
    the cause. And suicide probably isn't a good idea, unless the machine
    isn't yours but rather belongs to a member of an organized crime
    family.

    Matthew Russotto, Mar 23, 2005

  3. Start by running HW diags to make sure that part is OK.

    Bad hardware can cause these sorts of problems. Do you have the HW
    diagnostic disk or Tech Tool Pro 4? These CDs can boot a system and run
    diagnostics. It might be bad RAM or a bad disk. If the RAM went south,
    chances are it did so over a period of time, corrupting your drive.

    If you don't have an AppleCare contract, repairing the machine might
    cost more than replacing it with something newer. For a large display
    or Apple laptop, I think the $299 is well spent for 3 years of coverage.

    YMMV.

    Michael Vilain, Mar 23, 2005
  4. James

    Tom Guest

    EVERYTHING points to a bad drive

    Tom, Mar 23, 2005
  5. James

    Orchid Guest

    FWIW, this is exactly what happened to me when the RAM I installed on my
    Mac Mini was bad. The strange thing about it was that it was fine for a
    week and then I started having crashes in certain apps (iDVD, for one)
    for about another week followed by repeated kernel panics and then an
    inability to install the system (often, it hung up on language
    installation just as you're experiencing). Replacing the RAM with the
    original 256 MB module fixed the problem (I later swapped it for a new 1
    GB module from Crucial and all has been well with it).

    I'm not saying that your problem is the RAM but it is possible. I would
    try removing any additional RAM and trying to reinstall without it with
    the base configuration just to eliminate the RAM as a possibility.

    Also, you can try to do a custom install to reduce the number of
    languages installed. This should speed up the installation process if
    nothing else.

    And, as others have said, force restarting and force quitting didn't
    cause your problem. The problem was already there.

    Orchid

    Orchid, Mar 24, 2005
  6. James

    James Young Guest

    snip

    Thanks for the replies, folks. I HOPE ot's just the ram but for now I
    can't get the damn door off to take it out. Will let you know how it
    goes.

    best,

    James Young, Mar 24, 2005
  7. Before doing anything else, I would try resetting the PMU. The
    procedure is different for different machines. You can find out how to
    do this by putting "reset PMU" in the search box at the Apple support
    site.

    Bad RAM seems very unlikely.

    Cathy

    Cathy Stevenson, Mar 24, 2005
  8. My 2 cents:

    RAM is definitely a possibility and I'd even bet on it. The hard drive
    is also likely to be damaged. Resetting the PMU probably won't do
    anything. That is the Power Management Unit. If you want to do this
    yourself, and you don't have diagnostic CDs, replace the RAM first,
    reformat the hard drive and give it another go. Otherwise, Apple will
    definitely suggest that the third party RAM is to blame and they'll
    send it back to you. Good luck.

    -mike

    Mike Vincenti, Apr 4, 2005