    this??

    Thanks in Advance,

    JS

    Junior Sanders, Sep 21, 2004

  2. I know this is probably an easy question for some of you, but here's

    It's not an easy question. Host-side USB is very difficult to implement.
    Yes it can be done. Trying to do it - especially inside Rabbit's
    baroque, nonstandard environment - is very painful. I would abandon the
    idea of USB and interface directly to a media type, e.g. CompactFlash.

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Sep 22, 2004

  3. The problem is that I have to be able to read data from a digital
    camera. All of the lower end Digital Cameras only have a USB
    interface. Any suggestions?

    Junior Sanders, Sep 22, 2004
  4. So don't use those cameras, then. Actually I don't think there are
    all that many cameras around that have a USB port but no removable
    storage media. Well, setting aside dedicated webcams, that is.

    Hans-Bernhard Broeker, Sep 22, 2004
  5. The problem is that I have to be able to read data from a digital
    If you are talking about cameras with non-removable media (webcams,
    pencams) then I've got one word for you: Fuggedaboutit. You would need
    to write drivers for every single camera chipset out there. You would
    need to keep updating VID/PID tables, at least, practically on a daily
    basis to keep up with new product releases. The ONLY way you can
    contemplate supporting those sorts of cameras is via a mainstream OS
    where someone else is doing the driver work for you.

    If you are talking about cameras with removable media - Support the
    media directly. It's much less trouble!

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Sep 22, 2004
  6. The easiest to do this is to get a module / device that does most of
    the stuff for you. Atmel has a number of USB host devices which looks
    fairly easy to hook up to an embedded micro. AFACR they already
    support the profiles needed for accesing a USB flash disk or similar
    device.

    Regards
    Anton Erasmus

    Anton Erasmus, Sep 22, 2004
  7. AT43USB380

    Ulf Samuelsson, Sep 23, 2004
  8. Junior Sanders

    Scott Murphy Guest

    Have a look at www.ftdichip.com. Maybe their widget can solve your problem.

    Scott Murphy, Sep 24, 2004
  9. Junior Sanders

    Guy Macon Guest

    Has anyone priced these? I usually buy QTY=1,000 for a prototype and
    then satrt putting in regular QTY=100,000 to QTY=1,000,000orders once
    production starts, so those are the prive points I am interested in.

    Guy Macon, Sep 24, 2004