PLEASE HELP ! Why can't I install AGP 8x GPU on AGP 4x slot ? :-(

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Vincent, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. Vincent

    Vincent Guest

    Hello everybody !

    I'm in dispair :-(

    My PC-config is a motherboard SOLTEK SL75DRV5 - VIA KT333/VT8233A, AGP 4x.
    I have a GPU GeForce4 MX 440 (64Mo, AGP 4x) which was installed easily.
    Now I want to replace it by a GeForce FX5200 (128Mo, AGP 8x).
    It should be also easy to install it, but I can't. I use Windows XP SP2.

    I uninstall the current GPU, then I restart and follow the "hardware install
    processing" : I install the last nVidia driver but at the end, I've got the
    message "can't install" (but XP does not tell me why ;-)).

    I installed the latest VIA chipset drivers version.

    Any suggestion ? I start to think that my motherboard does not support AGP
    3.0 (AGP 8x), although I did not find any such trouble on Internet
    (everybody seem to be sure that it's always possible to install a GPU AGP 8x
    on an AGP 4x slot)...

    Please help me...

    Vincent

    Vincent, Jan 30, 2006

  2. Vincent

    kony Guest

    Why? FX5200 isn't what I'd call much of an upgrade, but I
    guess if you had it just sitting around collecting dust, it
    is a bit better...

    I have no idea what you mean.
    Does the prior statement mean "you removed the video card
    from the system having doing nothing else yet, only powering
    off the system"? If not, what exactly does it mean?

    We need very specific details to troubleshoot some problems.
    It can't hurt.
    1) With GF4MX installed, go into Add/Remove Programs and
    uninstall the nVidia video driver.

    2) Turn off system and uninstall the card with AC power
    disconnected.

    3) Install new card, plug AC power back in and boot to
    windows.

    4) When the new hardware wizard starts, if it does, just
    cancel it. If you aren't running the latest version of
    DirectX, ver. 9c, install that first... available from
    Microsoft. If you have antivirus programs running, disable
    them and leave them disabled before installing DX9c and only
    enable again after the FX5200 is working with new driver.

    5) Reboot after DX9c install. Install newest nVidia
    Detonator driver from http://www.nvidia.com Do not install
    some very old driver on a CD that came with the card and if
    you have already, uninstall it from Add/Remove programs.

    That is probably not necessary but if the rest of the system
    seems to work still, you might as well leave those
    installed.

    No it does not support 8X AGP, it has an AGP Universal (up
    to 4X) slot. That is fine, it does support an FX5200, it
    will merely run in 4X mode which is little if any
    performance loss.

    If all else fails check Event Viewer.

    kony, Jan 30, 2006

  3. Vincent

    Vincent Guest

    1) With GF4MX installed, go into Add/Remove Programs and
    I did those points, of course.
    DX9c was already installed.
    If anti-virus may disturb the installation process, what about the (XP)
    firewall ?
    Detonator ? I downloaded ForceWare 81.98, the latest nVidia driver if you
    follow the instructions on the www.nvidia.com web site (in the "download
    drivers" menu, I simply chose "Graphics Driver", then "GeForce", then
    "Windows XP")... I saw nothing about "detonator" there...
    OK. But shouldn't install something else or activate something in the BIOS ?

    Vincent, Jan 30, 2006
  4. Vincent

    Vincent Guest

    Another question : is it necessary to uninstall the GeForce4 MX 440 driver
    before connecting the GeForce FX 5200, since the drivers are the same ?
    (nVidia ForceWare 81.98)

    Vincent, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Vincent

    Folk Guest

    Yes.

    1. Uninstall current graphics driver.
    2. Power down.
    3. Replace card.
    4. Power up.
    5. When XP detects new hardware and offers to install drivers,
    cancel.
    6. Install latest graphics driver.

    That's the bog-standard method for swapping out your graphics card. As
    another poster mentioned, your 8X card should run just fine in a 4X
    slot.

    Folk, Jan 30, 2006
  6. Vincent

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    Detonator was the original name for the video drivers. When nViidia came out
    with the NForce chipset, they renamed the drivers to Forceware.

    Yves Leclerc, Jan 30, 2006
  7. Vincent

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    YES! That is the accepted and preferred method.

    Head over to www.guru3d.com and check thru the forums.

    Locate and download Driver Cleaner Pro, so as to completely "clear" out / wipe
    the nVidiia drivers from your system. Then, try to install your new 5200
    video card (I have successfully installed 2 of these into both of my 2 PCs at
    home. Each only has a 4x AGP slot.)

    Yves Leclerc, Jan 30, 2006
  8. Vincent

    Vincent Guest

    The thing is, the FX 5200 seems to be recognized since when I start to
    install the nVidia driver, the message is something like "GeForce FX 5200
    installing...". But at the end (when all files seems to be installed), the
    final message is (in French) "Impossible d'installer le matériel"
    (installing the device is impossible), instead of "completed".
    Then it seems that something is missing, but WHAT ?

    Vincent, Jan 31, 2006
  9. Vincent

    Vincent Guest

    Head over to www.guru3d.com and check thru the forums.

    I'll have a look at this site... Thank you.
    Which driver did you use to install it ?
    (maybe the latest nVidia driver is not the good one)

    Vincent, Jan 31, 2006
  10. Vincent

    kony Guest

    Did you do them in that order?
    You might then try an "nVidia video driver cleaner", Google
    should find something. After having uninstalled from
    add/remove and cleaned out the driver, then power off and
    install new card. you might instead have a windows problem
    and if so, a windows newsgroup would better advise on the
    resolution.

    No the firewall should not effect it.
    Reinstall DX9c... nevermind that it was already, "sometimes"
    it gets corrupt (missing files) and should be reinstalled
    before the new video driver whenever there is such a
    problem.

    That is a Detonator driver, you did fine.
    However, sometimes newest driver versions are also a
    problem, contain new bugs that the older ones didnt. For
    that reason I now suggest an older, 7n.nn series driver.
    http://www.Guru3d.com among other 'sites has several older
    versions... not too old, I wouldn't bother with anything
    older than 60.00 and a late 7n.nn series would probably do
    fine IF that were the problem.

    Not if your bios is already set to use 4X mode.
    Even if it weren't, whatever was working fine with the GF4MX
    should still work fine with the FX5200.

    Once you get the nVIdia driver installed, google for
    "Coolbits2" which will find a registry file you can merge to
    open up a hidden menu in Display Properities that will show
    you which AGP rate the system is operating in. It might
    even appear without having to add the Coolbits2 reg file, I
    dont' recall as I always add it- never does any harm, just
    shows more settings and information.

    kony, Jan 31, 2006