    alot of image editing and will be doing video work as well - and
    games :) Thanks!!!

    Kevin Miller

    Kevin Miller, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Kevin Miller

    Lee Guest

    i would have thought it depends if the software your using supports hyper
    threading if it does then i expect a nice performance difference.

    Lee, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Hi,

    firstly I would say don't bother upgrading your 2.53Ghz yet, that's still a
    very fast CPU you have there!. Hyper-threading is still quite a new
    technology and only works in Windows XP (also 2000 I believe?) and it will
    only work with applications that have *built-In* support, in some cases a PC
    can work *slower* with H.T enabled.

    If you want to *enhance* your PC for better gaming/video editing experience
    then there are other places to look, like your graphics card and Hard-disk
    system. I have just started using SATA RAID-0 and its very good, this would
    make a far greater speed increase than say just by upgrading the CPU. . .

    Tell us more about your system specs. .
    --
    Wayne ][

    Barton (AQXEA) XP2500+ @ 2.2GHz (10x220) - 1.75vCore
    CoolerMaster Aero 7 Lite - 3,200rpm
    ABIT NF7-S (v2.0 - BIOS#14)
    512MB Dual TwiSTER PC3500 @ DDR440 1:1 (8,3,3,2.0 - 2.8v)
    Sapphire Atlantis 9800 - 3.3ns Samsung
    240GB (2x120GB) WD-SE SATA RAID-0 (16k Stripe)
    Antec SX630II Mini-Tower Case Inc 300w PSU
    WinXP-PRO-SP1
    Cat 3.7 - DX9.0b

    Wayne Youngman, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Kevin Miller

    Strontium Guest

    -
    Wayne Youngman stood up at show-n-tell, in
    bm3boc$na6$, and said:
    From what I 'understand' (I've been running an HT CPU for about 5 months,
    now), is that it's mostly OS dependent, at this stage. Right now, XP sees 2
    (TWO) processors. However there comes problems when some resources fight
    over the same thread. You can get a better understanding from
    comp.sys.intel

    I've got to say, that just about EVERY program I use, uses the HT to it's
    fullest. I gather that from observation of taskmgr. I can see many progs
    (that I KNOW are NOT HT capable) using 50% of CPU :) These are same progs
    that use 100% without HT. In other words, it works. And, it's sweet.
    Because while I'm burning a CD and doing other CPU intensive stuff, I can do
    whatever the Hell I want.

    Use HT, first. Then come back and let us know your findings.

    I, for one, am sold.

    Strontium, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Kevin Miller

    Kevin Miller Guest

    I've upgraded to RAID 0 and see an improvement with large file
    transfers but everyday WINDOWS XP operations actually seem slower - as
    if software or a driver is running in the background...weird...

    Kevin Miller, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Kevin Miller

    The Flash Guest

    Is the raid split across channels?

    The Flash, Oct 10, 2003
  7. Kevin Miller

    Kevin Miller Guest

    Good question.. I'll look when I get home.. how's it supposed to be?
    Thanks!!!

    Kevin Miller, Oct 10, 2003